Register

Beer can chix with James martingale

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Beer can chix with James martingale

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Did anyone else see Saturday morning today?? Love the beer can chix recipe. That has been popular here in the States for ever it seems.

Two questions--

He keeps referring to chix as small or medium or large. What does that translate into as far as weight? To me it looked like 4 o 5 pounds each in weight.

Said they could be done in the oven, gave a time but no temp. That would be easier for me than an out door grill.

An observation....instead of beer, I might try whipping up a batch of Cornell sauce

http://yates.cce.cornell.edu/resources/ ... -barbecues

Or using some chiiavettas.....https://buffaloinabox.com/products/chia ... oz-plastic

Thanks in advance

Re: Beer can chix with James martingale

Postby wargarden » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 pm

small 3-5lbs , meduim frying chicken 5-7 lb , large oven stuffer 7-10 lbs

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:10 am

Hey, Mark.
Here´s the recipe from Steve Raichlen´s book, "How to Grill" ( slightly abbreviated):

1 can beer (12 oz)
1 Chicken ( 3 1/2 to 4 lbs)
Barbecue rub

1) Pop the tab on the beer can and drink half . Or give it to the dog; just don´t waste it!
2) Open a few more holes in the top of the beer can and set aside.
3) Set up the grill for indirect grilling
4) Remove giblets from the chicken and remove the fat from just inside the body and neck cavity. Wash the chicken inside and out and pat dry. Sprinkle 2 tbsps of BBQ rub inside the cavity, then rub the bird all over with the BBQ rub. Add 2 tbsps of the rub to the beer. ( NOT to the dog´s portion) :gonzo
5) Insert the beer can into the cavity . Spread the feet to form a kind of tripod. Tuck the wings behind the chicken´s back.
6) Stand the chicken in the middle of the grill, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook for about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until the chicken is golden brown and crispy. Test for doneness with a thermometer.
7) Be careful when removing the beer. No-one likes hot beer.
8) Allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving.

Enjoy your chicken!!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:33 am

And of course I am now thinking of our Dr Sweetsmoke & his beer can chicken riding a motorbike wearing sunglasses 8-) - the chicken not Sweetsmoke - anyone still in touch with him? Sweetsmoke not the chicken...……. 8-)

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi mark111757.

I'd have thought re size that the idea is to get one with a cavity just large enough for a standard beer can to fit nicely into, so more medium than small probably if that's not stating the obvious.

I've seen the temp of 180C for an hour. Doesn't sound long but it'll steam from the inside as well so the high temp is more to crisp the skin I reckon. However, at that high temp I suspect it could very quickly become overcooked and dry, so a thermometer is a must to keep an eye on it nearing the time.

Re what's in the can, I know people use a diluted white wine instead, because that's the taste they like for their chicken, so it doesn't have to be beer. I haven't heard of cider - have you experimented on e.g. a single thigh to be sure you like cider chicken before going for broke with a whole one?

I first saw this method years ago on our TV, although featuring US ranch settings rather than residential house yard bbqs.

By the way, if you have an elec oven with a bottom element, you're not supposed to stand anything on it as it can blow the element due to hot spots caused. In other words, check your oven is tall enough if the chicken has to be on a low shelf.

Good luck :)

Postby mark111757 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 am

Hey guys

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions. More to folliw soon

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Been crazy over here

I had beard of different liquids to use. That is why I was thinking about using the Cornell sauce. I know what it tastes like and is consistent.

Thank you for the recipe. Would certainly share the beer if I had a dog :wino

Not sure where the martingale came from :?:

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:16 pm

Jeral and Mark,

Asturian or Normandy Apple Cider Chicken is quite delicious .. :clap

Since we are not permitted to BBQ on our roof top terrace, due to Legalities of the zone, and possible fires,
I prepare mine in the oven .. Always succulent and truly splendid ..

Have a nice summer .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox