Register

Fishing and fish

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fishing and fish

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:41 pm

From t'other thread, and so as not to hijack that one:
Petronius wrote:...[clip]...
Talking of fish, someone mentioned other nations fishing in our waters. When the UK distributed fish licences, many British fishers sold their licence to foreign owners. Broke my heart when, in Oban, I saw wonderful langoustines etc., being loaded onto ships to be transported to the Continent. No market for them in the UK I was told.
...[clip]... :D

If anyone's interested, I was wondering about UK's fishing policy upon Brexit, i.e. Mrs May's intention of sticking with a quota system (as is, but improving UK's share) or insisting on 200km per international waters as achieved by Canada after fish war with Spain and Iceland after cod wars with UK.

I came upon this article about how fish are migrating now due to climate change, so could be defending barren waters or have fights over newly enriched ones:
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... mFf3DLElpV

This report on conservation consequencies
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... /faf.12169
is about finding an optimum point regarding marine conservation, political and social outcomes, including that acquiescing to a popular demand doesn't necessarily bring desirable results, plus noting that knock-on effects foreseen or not can come from trying mistakenly to treat areas as discrete. Worth a read if you have time.
---

Sakkarin: Feel free to move or lock this, although it'll probably just fade quickly anyway.

Re: Fishing and fish

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:27 pm

What an interesting article in The Huffington Post. I had no idea that fish were migrating 40 miles every 10 years. This is really worrying. I will read through everything again tomorrow when I am more wide awake.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 pm

If I were a fish, I´d get the hell out of the North Sea! :gonzo :gonzo

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:38 pm

That's sage advice for any fish in the North Sea reading this forum methinks.

Seemingly cod has disappeared from the North Atlantic so for the US it now comes from the Pacific Ocean.

It's amazing that any fishes still remain anywhere given the size of commercial nets and lines these days. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:39 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:If I were a fish, I´d get the hell out of the North Sea! :gonzo :gonzo

Karakoolaide,

Good idea !! :gonzo

Have a lovely weekend.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:39 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:If I were a fish, I´d get the hell out of the North Sea! :gonzo :gonzo

Karakoolaide,

Good idea !! :gonzo

Have a lovely weekend.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox