Register

Shameful food secrets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Shameful food secrets

Postby smitch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Amyw wrote:My grandad always had a slice of cheese with his fruitcake and Yorkshire puddings as a dessert with golden syrup . When he was young and money was tight, he said they couldn’t afford a lot of meat , so extra YPs helped fill them up

We always had Yorkshires as a starter with onion & cucumber in vinegar and plenty of gravy. My mum still does them like that sometimes.

Always have a slice of Wensleydale with fruit cake too!

Postby Amyw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:28 pm

My grandad always used to have the onion and cucumber and called it a Yorkshire salad (he's from Hull).

Postby smitch » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Amyw wrote:My grandad always used to have the onion and cucumber and called it a Yorkshire salad (he's from Hull).

Yes, that’s what we called it too. Sometimes we had mint sauce and lettuce instead. I grew up in Hull but was born in York and my family are from a small town between York and Leeds. My husband is a born and bred Manc and thinks cheese with fruit cake is weird :lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm a Lancastrian but I always have Wensleydale cheese with my (naked) Christmas cake.

I like to serve fruit loaf with a cheese board as well.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm a Southerner married to a Co Durham fella, who is also half Yorkshire. He has got me onto Wensleydale and fruit cake - it is a lovely combination that does sound weird on paper.. although i had heard of it thanks to the James Herriott books that I read voraciously as a teenager.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm

My beloved uncle was a peripatetic woodwork teacher in the Dales. One of the schools he visited was in Hawes - this was just after the war. He always came home with a piece of fruit cake or apple tart and a chunk of Wensleydale.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:54 pm

What we need is a role model 8-)
This 47min Youtube shows us food plates being prepared that our Queen and family are partial to. It is relatively simple although opulent especially in its wastefulness, so I don't recommend viewing by anyone on universal credit or queueing at food banks :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbP3-1S7dk

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Tesco champagne and Matteus Rose!!!!

The fish and chips looked nasty, although its bearnaise sauce looked tasty if posh.

Didn't watch much of it, it got a bit tedious, all very City and Guilds cookery courseish...

Postby cherrytree » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:09 pm

I’ve just made some finger sandwiches for my six year old granddaughters birthday tea. That shameful northern speciality, cheese savoury. Quite quite delicious they were.

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:16 pm

How lovely cherrytree! I live in the north west, but am not familiar with cheese savoury, although I love anything savoury. What do they contain?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:20 pm

There's nowt wrong with a cheese savoury sandwich. IIRC it is grated cheese, onion and salad cream. Although I once had one from Greggs at Newcastle Station which had some grated carrot in. That was pretty good too!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:36 pm

cherrytree wrote:I’ve just made some finger sandwiches for my six year old granddaughters birthday tea. That shameful northern speciality, cheese savoury. Quite quite delicious they were.

I made Staffordshire / Derbyshire oatcakes for a group of London foodies, and had trouble thinking of a filling - it had to be cold and transportable

Eventually I made a big tub of cheese savoury. They loved it, several made notes :)

Eventually

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks Strictly. It is something that I would enjoy!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:13 pm

There is a stall in the market hall in Derby that sells only Derbyshire oatcakes.
It is a place of pilgrimage when I venture to the big city.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:43 pm

They aren’t actually difficult to make, I followed Felicity Cloake’s Perfect recipe. Each took a 1/4 cup (60 ml) of batter in an 8 inch / 20 cm pan, so they were a bit smaller than the standard ones

Just needed patience

This is one of the places where I find a measuring cup useful, I have the mini-saucepan kind and I use them as a scoop / ladle

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:09 pm

I have made crumpets in the past so I don't think these will be much different.
Will look up Felicity's recipe.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Yes I always add a tiny bit of grated carrot and a minute scrape of red pepper. Cheese savoury is very unsophisticated food but there’s nothing wrong in that.

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:10 pm

Yes I always add a tiny bit of grated carrot and a minute scrape of red pepper. Cheese savoury is very unsophisticated food but there’s nothing wrong in that.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:55 pm

There is absolutely nothing shameful about a cheese savoury, especially if it's in a stottie and the filling is made with salad cream - grated carrot optional, but nice!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:06 pm

Definitely in a stottie or a traditional Cumbrian teacake!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox