Register

Shameful food secrets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Shameful food secrets

Postby Binky » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm

I've just prepared a chocolate Angel Delight for tonight's dessert. I felt like pulling the kitchen blind down in case the neighbours should see.

My excuse is that I needed to use up some fresh milk and, because we are going on holiday, our fridge and its contents are somewhat bare. Still, I felt like I was letting the side down.

:?

Do you have shameful food secrets that you would like to share? Go on, we all have them.

Re: Shameful food secrets

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 pm

It would have to be Primula Cheese spread. i have a secret store in the cellar fridge.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:33 pm

I sometimes make what i call a 'Gone Wrong Omelette' for myself, which is a trailer trash version of an Egg Foo Yung! It's basically stir fried eggs, cheddar, a slice of ham, half an onion and a medium sized mushroom. although as it is high in protein, it's fine for my diabetes, but not great for my gout!

I also still like salad cream on a circa 1970s salad! And I eat baked beans, although with not so much sauce these days. We only eat the reduced sugar and salt version though - the regular version is far too sickly for us Strictlies!

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:59 pm

I eat peanut butter from the jar, with a spoon.

Also, I spread it on crackers and sprinkle them with sultanas.

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Fried bread. :oops:

I had a sudden craving a few weeks ago because I had an organic white loaf. Poached eggs on top was heavenly! It's gone now, so I won't be repeating it!

Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

Crystallised Ginger from Holland & Barretts … the large pack. I buy this about once a year.

I also eat peanut butter from the jar if I'm starving! I haven't bought it for a while and have come to the end of the peanut butter powder.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Mine is very recent, like half an hour ago.

I had a Pot Noodle, "posh" Itsu brand Satay flavour, they were on offer at £1 instead of £1.75.

They were interesting in that the noodles were like Pad Thai noodles, although the tapioca starch added to them, presumably to make them easier to reconstitute, made them a bit gloopy.

I was wondering what their version of "satay" would taste like, unfortunately the only thing I could taste was the yeast extract. Vegemite noodles. Whoopy-do.

I confess to the spoonfuls of peanut butter. Which is why it doesn't last me very long...

If I had some in stock, maybe I could have added it to the vegemite noodles to add the missing ingredient.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:51 pm

I tend not to buy peanut butter (or even worse, cashew nut butter) because of the risk of eating it all in spoonfuls
But if I don’t have any, I can’t make peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches(cf. the Sue Grafton ABC detective stories)

Yellow custard

(What’s yellow and highly dangerous?

Shark infested custard :lol: )

Mr Whippy style ice cream (though I had one recently that came out of a soft ice cream machine but was proper Cornish ice cream by Kelly’s, if you see it, it’s gorgeous)

I had to read Egg Gone Wrong aloud before I got it :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 pm

One of the best ever sandwiches is a fishfinger one.

I love a cheeky Big Mac in and out, though I know it's ridiculously processed, salt laden rubbish but still :limbobanana

My idea of comfort food is a beige meal like waffles, chicken kievs and tinned spaghetti. Real nursery food though I think it seems a treat because I rarely have it

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:24 pm

Binky wrote:I've just prepared a chocolate Angel Delight for tonight's dessert

I've posted this before, but I was in school with a girl we nicknamed 'Angel Delight'...………..

…..because she was so easy to make.....!!
:limbobanana
Never forgotten her!

Branston pickle I can spoon out of the jar & straight down my throat, likewise marmite - I'm sure something else will come to mind!

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:08 pm

I also love a fishfinger sandwich, especially with mayo and a slice of strong cheddar.
And a mug of tea.

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:24 pm

Nissin Soba Noodles in pots. They are the only pot noodles worth buying and have a really good flavour. I used to buy the packets of Nissin noodles from Chinese supermarkets. They are reduced to £1 in Asda at the moment.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-com ... s_90g.html

Postby Wic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Lots of things I like here. Primula cheese, fish finger sandwiches, and I could add eating baked beans out of the tin. In that respect I am my father’s daughter. He enjoyed doing that, too.

Postby smitch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:49 pm

I love a Warburton’s thick sliced toastie loaf every now and again. Rarely buy white bread but sometimes I really fancy it.

I can also eat peanut butter straight from the jar, it is one of my favourite foods.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:48 am

Why are any of these foods shameful? I like Bird's Eye potato waffles but no way am I going to buy a waffle maker!

Eating tempura'd stuff (myself or gathered round) almost straight from the pan. Far more fun than reserving it in a warm oven to serve properly. Same with pancakes.

Probably comes under "Shameful but who cares?" Thankfully we're don't have pictures like Dorian Gray :lol:

Postby Binky » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:11 pm

jeral, it's not serious...it's jokingly 'shameful' in the sense that people who love food and cooking and swapping ideas, also secretly like to eat Aunt Bessie's yorkshire puds, or Dairylea cheese spread, or Pot Noodles, or beans out of a tin (how desperate is that?)

:gonzo

Postby cherrytree » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:54 pm

The parson’s nose.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:53 pm

I should have fessed up to Marmite crisps and bread dipped in the juices from a roast- behind closed kitchen doors.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:02 pm

The parson's nose is & always has been for as long as I can remember mine - an' all mine!
best part of the chicken, definitely no shame here! - I also like to gnaw the bones ( on an organic chuck) just like a dawg!

I'm sure I'll think of much more.............

Postby Amyw » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Yes and yes to the parsons nose and the juices from a roasting tray . I love the little crispy bits of potatoes and meat that get stuck to the test too

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 am

I have no shame .Let me confess right now.
I will eat peanut butter from the jar; Nutella from the jar; CheezWhiz from the jar;and marmite on ANYTHING.
However, if you were fool enough to leave a box of fine chocolates within my reach... WATCH OUT!!!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox