Register

Kitchen tongs, non-stick pans pls

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Kitchen tongs, non-stick pans pls

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Recommendations please for a U-shaped pair? Reviews on Amazon moan that some don't grip well, some don't pick up the food at all and some that the jaws are too wide for small or thin items, or melt in hot frying pans. Who'da thought it was rocket science?

The riveted sort are perfect for me, except that the rivet falls out in no time, so was hoping for a pair that lasted longer since I use them a lot. Or maybe I could put a dob of super glue on the rivet ends...

Any ideas please? Ta.

Re: Kitchen tongs, non-stick pans pls

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Oxo. I love all their kitchen tools!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Lakeland sell these, I think we have the Mark 1 version, but have had them for several years. they still work really well and the grip is excellent. They are also useful when you are vertically challenged like me, and need to get something out of a high level cupboard! Especially when Mr Strictly is not about :lol: !!!

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/15269/Cuisip ... king-Tongs

Re: Kitchen tongs, non-stick pa

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:25 pm

I like OXO but I actually have these, had them 2 years, used a lot, put in dishwasher. The silicone tips used to fall off the old ones, but these seem secure. The 2 sizes are handy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012CRO32E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:08 pm

These are the ones I have in the pic, and I swear by them, the amount of springiness is just right, the plastic doesn't burn, and the metal claws give a firm grip. I got them from Wing Yip, years and years ago, I can't remember what I paid, may have been £6.

My previous ones were the ones with springs, which I don't like, particularly the fact that you have to unlock them to use them, with a device that threatens to nip your fingers.

I did a brief recky in town, all the ones on sale were the variants of the spring loaded ones, so don't meet with my approval.

John Lewis: Good Grips, spring loaded. Large ones like mine, £13, smaller ones (too small) £12. Silicon covering on the jaws, I don't like that, prefer bare metal like mine. Spring slightly too strong.

Wilko:
Large spring loaded, plastic on jaws looks like silicon. Spring slightly too weak. £2!

B&M Stores: Pair for £2.50, large and small spring loaded. I bought a pair of these a while back, the plastic melts. Waste of time unless you are only using them for salads.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:10 pm

With regards to non-stick pans, the Scoville Neverstick ones are great, as are the Wilko version! they are not eyewateringly expensive either - this applies to both.

Postby Pampy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:30 pm

As well as bigger sets of tongs, I also use these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 They're really handy if you want to turn over/remove small things from a pan.
These look useful too https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips ... way&sr=8-9

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi Folks and thanks all :)

I liked the "sturdy" description of Stokey Sue's Manlehom ones. When I looked them up I saw they make one with built-in stand bits but couldn't see them on Amazon so bought these, which also call themselves sturdy, so fingers crossed they'll last:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M9R369Z/ ... 11_TE_item to keep

Strictlysalsaclare, I have a cheapo tin bbq pair 16", or "scoopy thing" as I call it for scooping things up that fall in awkward places.

Pampy, I have the smaller ones which I love - so handy and take up no room. Maybe washing them in the dishwasher loosens the rivets, or perhaps the spring puts too much pressure on, but whatever, I'm down to my last one. I have stainless steel U ones for reserve, but If the above silicon ones I link don't suit, I'll get another three little ones, so have noted your link.

Thanks again to all.

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:27 am

Just to report back.
The Walfos tongs I linked, and now have received, certainly are heavy, if that's relevant to longevity. They are comfy to hold and work well as tongs should.

The larger one would make a good dumbbell. Also, the spring on it, a good hand squeeze ball for tension relief when you want to throw the telly out of the window while listening to leadership contenders. That alone makes them a good buy.

Postby Renee » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:56 am

I bought tongs in Sainsbury's yesterday which had built-in stands and paid £4.50. They seem ideal and very well made.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox