Register

My amazing butcher

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

My amazing butcher

Postby cherrytree » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:17 pm

There’s a lot to be said for living in a market town. We have two butchers and Tony in one of them looks after the family very well. He sends meat to my daughters in the south and has taught my son and daughter so much about cuts of meat and will provide anything that any of us need for a recipe.
Today I wanted some of his duck and plum sausages. His assistant said they’d sold out but when Tony came along he managed to find some.
Then an elderly lady came in and said she needed enough Cumberland sausage for 600 people for a charity do. He didn’t turn a hair and I left as they discussed logistics and cost. He’s an absolute marvel.

Re: My amazing butcher

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:26 pm

A star indeed. Ours makes jalapeno sausages sometimes. He has to clean out the mincer after so isn't keen on doing a small batch. I think he'd faint if I asked him for 600!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:23 am

Yes, definitely agree, there is nothing like a
Top notch knowledgeable butcher or fish monger ..

We buy the majority of our meat and fish
from Le Mercat de La Boqueria, Barcelona.
Joaquin & Miquel are amazing.

When my dad, grand-fathers, father in law,
and sons fish, we get our daily catches
from them.

However, it is normally wild
shellfish and mollusks verses finned,
scaled fish varieties.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:55 pm

My mother was from a family of butchers. The last was my uncle, whose shop was on my route to school. Mum used to send me with a note every mroning and by 10.00am her order was delivered by his boy and his bike. He ahd spent 6 years as an apprentice and there was nothing he didn't know about all things meaty.

We have 2 wonderful butchers in town here too. They are brothers and inherited their father's 2 shops and abbatoir not to mention the 3 farms where the animals are raised.

I can talf k meat to him for hours even though I don't eat all that much. I have had to train him to do things like leave the skin on porl for crackling and when I cook English dishes for whaich he has specially prepared the meat I take him a picture of the finished dish. My Roast ribs of beef (Yes M Malavard, you can leave 3 ribs of beef together!) and Yorkshire puddings is still displayed proudly 3 years after I cooked it!

There are now 3 geberations of the family working in the shop we go to along with thier wives.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:19 pm

We're quite lucky that we have three butchers in town, one very good , a greengrocers which is amazing and two fishmongers, as well as the usual supermarkets.

The meat from our butchers is very good. The.y often do special offers as well, such as three packs of BBQ meat for £10. They also have a deli counter, with locally made pork pies etc, clotted cream and a selection of cold joints of meat ready for slicing

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 pm

600 Cumberland sausages...……..?!?! :o :shock: :o Jeez...…!!!!

We are lucky & have a very good butcher within walking distance - very accommodating & will cut any piece of meat as you want - he also stocks organic locally sourced meat - Sussex has a wealth of farms. He's also an award winning sausage maker but for some reason I'm not keen on them.

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 pm

@ Joanbunting: Yes, I remember from the days of yore MIL's huge ribs as a 3-rib roast that MIL used to do when there were six of us. (Can't remember how it was cut and served though.)

Re: My amazing

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:38 pm

We have 2 good butchers
Jeff, good basic High Street butcher and Meat N16, posh and pricey but superb, saw Sam demonstrate making sausages last week - or part of it, it’s a 3 day process done properly

My dad’s cousin Charley was a butcher, last of a line, used to slaughter and makes his own bacon, ham and black pudding

Mum’s butcher when I was growing up was apprenticed at Harrods, so pretty good and taught me what to look for.

Got a Burgos Morcilla from Jeff on Friday. No idea why he had 2 dozen Spanish black puddings at a knock down price but there’s a family connection with the fishmonger and they have a Spanish bias, they once gave me some small tins of lovely fire roasted red peppers.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox