Register

National Fish and Chips Day today

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: National Fish and Chips Day today

Postby smitch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:This is my local, posh chippy, Sutton and Sons

Cod to go, £6.95 to £8.50plus chips

They also have a vegan menu

https://www.suttonandsons.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Sutton-and-sons-takeaway-menu-2.pdf

I’m more inclined to eat in, with a glass of house white ;)

There’s a slightly cheaper but also good one, huge haddock and chips about £8.50

Looks great! I think I saw the vegan place when I was at a gig in Hackney back in November. Sadly didn’t have time to stop though.

I had a lovely banana blossom ‘fish’ and chips at a street food place here in Manchester on the national day itself. The chips were some of the best I’ve had in ages https://www.instagram.com/p/ByarkhKgsUt/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:04 am

Reminds me of one in the market place in Hull - Carvers IIRC - with similarly excellent chips. I imagine they were beef fat in those days; do you think your chips were crisped to perfection in oil?

smitch, PS, you don't say how much they were.

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:10 am

Fish and chips seem to be much cheaper here in the sticks (Lancashire) - cod is usually anything between £2.50 and £3.50 (I've seen 1 exception where it is £4.00) and chips from £1.20 to £2.00. The portions are usually generous as well - I don't think I've eaten all the chips in years. If I'm with my sister, we share a portion but still have too many.

Postby smitch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:42 am

jeral wrote:Reminds me of one in the market place in Hull - Carvers IIRC - with similarly excellent chips. I imagine they were beef fat in those days; do you think your chips were crisped to perfection in oil?

smitch, PS, you don't say how much they were.

I’m not a fan of Bob Carvers at all. I’m going ‘home’ for a work event so looking forward to patty, chips and chip spice before I get the train back to Manchester tomorrow. I’ve got orders for chip spice from a few people who want to try it :lol:

I can’t actually remember how much the banana blossom was, my husband bought it. Food at that venue in general isn’t cheap but normally really good. The whole stand was vegan so definitely no beef fat involved.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:47 am

When I was little, some chippies used cotton seed oil

Made lovely chips but made the shop reek

Walked past a felafel stall in Egypt 40 years later, and the distinctive smell hit me again...

Sounds like it should be all round to Pampy’s for a chip supper.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:58 pm

What's chip spice Smitch?

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 pm

LOL...!!!! Decided then - Our next meet is at Pampy's then :thumbsup :thumbsup
:starwars

Postby smitch » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Amyw wrote:What's chip spice Smitch?
It is a Hull delicacy, although apparently it is available elsewhere now! Essentially it is salt, tomato and paprika: http://americanchipspice.co.uk/

Every chip shop in Hull has it on the counter alongside the salt and vinegar bottles.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Ah thank you, sounds interesting. I'm from Devon so way off the hull route

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Some chip shops in Lancashire have what they call "red salt" - ie Smitch's chip spice.

In the interest of serious research, tonight I've tried the chippy that sells the £4 cod to see if it's worth the extra cost - and boy, is it! I got a really thick piece of beautiful cod, cooked to perfection in a light crispy batter - not a sign of sogginess anywhere. It was 10 inches long (yes, I measured it :lol: ) and there was no extra batter on the ends to make it look bigger. I got an absolutely huge "regular" portion of chips and only managed to eat less than a quarter of them. The meal was finished off with a portion of home made mushy peas. Seriously, it would have easily fed 3 people with healthy appetites. The lot cost the princely sum of £7. Lush - you'll be very welcome to share it next time I go!

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:00 am

You're on Pampy………. :yum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you'll be having the rest of those chips for breakfast...... 8-)

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Luschiouslush, you'll have to do some serious research too as you live near a fish landing port don't you - or am I thinking of someone else?

Pampy, 10" - another Moby Cod eh. I did a bit of domestic research and found that my dinner plates are exactly 10". Phew, just big enough :D

Re chips, I noticed that some of Aunt Bessie's oven chips are coated in semolina to give crunch I presume. Has anyone tried that?

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:38 pm

I’ve tried Nigellas rosaries covered in semolina and didn’t like them , found unpleasantly gritty . I think with chips and roast potatoes, if you cook them correctly , they should be lovely and crispy , without the aid of anything else

Postby smitch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Jeral, I went to Bob Carvers for the first time in years this afternoon- the branch near Paragon Street/ Jameson Street rather than the one near the market. I was tired after a busy event so couldn’t be bothered venturing too far from the station.

Enjoyed my patty but it wasn’t as good as the usual place I go to! https://www.instagram.com/p/By3GlJ_g4E-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Postby jeral » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Mmm patties and chips. I've had my tea but I'm sure I could force those down for supper :)

I made some fish/herb but mainly spud ones recently. I decided to flatten out the mix with a big 7" blade icing pallet knife, used a cookie cutter about 2.75" dia. on a floured plastic(?) cutting board and open froze them thereon, before battering in vinegar batter per your tip ages ago. Worked much better than trying to dip and coat the soft mix.

Postby dennispc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Amyw wrote: I'm from Devon so way off the hull route

Have you tried Darts Farm fish shack? They sell fish fresh, but will also batter a fish of your choice with chips. We did it once, can't remember the price but we thought it very good.

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:32 pm

I live about 15 minutes from Darts Farm and it’s one of my favourite places ever , but I’ve never tried the fish shack , all I’ve heard is it’s expwnsive, but then it’s Darts Farm , no point going there if you’re skint ! Are they good then, I never really register it as a fishmongers, more a chip shop

To be fair i got a piece of brisket from there for £4.99 last week , can’t remember the exact weight , but when I looked at Tesco’s for a comparably sized piece it was £7 ish.

Postby dennispc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Fortunately it’s a drive for us so we’re not tempted too much, a convenient place to stop for coffee occasionally. Got the name wrong AmyW, it’s the Fish Shed, which is outside the main part but there are inside tables for eating. Can’t remember the price but, as you say, it is Darts Farm.

You will know of Greendale, towards Sidmouth, which has a truly amazing fish counter and their meat is good as well. Their cod and chips is £7.30, large £9.00. Again too far for us to visit often so we’re not bankrupt yet!

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Shamefully I’ve never been to Greendale, though heard great things . No excuse really as I used to work at a daycare centre for adults with learning disabilities a five minute drive away. Which would you say is better?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:06 am

Does Greendale have a Postman called Pat with a black and white cat? (sorry, couldn't resist, and showing my age :lol: !)

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox