Register

Salsa - chopped or liquidised?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Salsa - chopped or liquidised?

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:49 pm

I am making a lovage, red onion, tomato, cucumber and basil salsa to serve with dinner tonight.

I have not made it before and have chopped everything into tiny pieces. Should I put it into a blender with some liquid (wine vinegar, lemon juice etc.) or leave 'as is'?

As you can probably tell, I am not following a recipe.

Re: Salsa - chopped or liquidised?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Binky, I would just chop finely & add lemon juice etc. to it to taste - I don't think I would do both lovage & basil tho' - I would imagine the basil would overpower the lovage, so one or the other. You might also want to temper that red onion with a little soak in lemon/vinegar beforehand too & then use the remaining juice in the salsa.

I have a very healthy lovage plant outside I don't do enough with apart from adding to potatoes so maybe a salsa on the cards for me too.

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:28 pm

We attended a Food Fair several weeks ago, and one of the demonstrators had made lovage salsa. She served it with those small salty batons. I can't recall if it was liquidised or not, we were so impressed with the taste. She sold us a lovage plant which has grown, Triffid style, in the garden. :?

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Personally I like a little bit of crunch in a salsa

Postby Amyw » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:30 pm

I’d just chop the salsa . I like mine fairly chunky and think blending can make it really watery . To me , salsa is more of a relish or side dish than a dip

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:21 pm

We've just eaten it with grilled lamb steaks - it was gorgeous and crunchy, and not overpowered by basil as feared. I would do it that way again, and can recommend it to anyone with lovage in the garden.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:07 pm

I think it´s up to you.
I was in Mexico last year, and had salsas which were completely blended, others which were semi-blended, and others which were chunky.
Depends what textures you´re looking for.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:39 am

With salsa, I'm always surprised how the strong dominant flavours mellow. As you say Lush, they temper.
I make a cucumber and chilli one, which after an hour or so resting, tastes pleasantly pique-y but loses the hot-hot-hot.

Even onion in there softens its rawness. I think we'll make one tonight too.
Thanks for the ideas.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:03 pm

I tend to prefer chopped by hand, but if making a lot I use the pulse button on the processor, as it's quite easy to stop before over blending

Mango salsa with smoked chicken or duck, or even leftover cold duck is delicious

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm doing a fav pineapple/blk bean/chilli & red onion salsa tonight to go with cold roast chicken so I'll get some lovage in there as well for a change :thumbsup it's a strong salsa so we'll see how it stands up - actually after all this lovage talk I snipped some into cooked fresh young podded broad beans last night - lovely! Must use it more often!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox