Register

Healing food advice for omnivore please

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Healing food advice for omnivore please

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 pm

I'm so sorry to hear your news Clare and I do hope that you get some good help and your problems get sorted.

Nine more smitch? :shock: What fun! :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Oh botheration strictlysalsaclare

Everything crossed for the scan and the next blood test

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:39 pm

Strictly Salsa Clare,

All our best wishes
are being sent to you
& Mr. Strictly.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks for all your good wishes folks. I saw the diabetic nurse today, after getting my dressing changed at the hospital. Unfortunately the nurse that is looking after my dressing changes was running late, which didn't help my stress levels they went through the roof! Therefore my blood sugars were really high this morning. :shock:

Postby Renee » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Apart from stress, I would think that blood sugar levels will vary during the day. Is this correct? Will you be able to check your own levels?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi Renee

Yes, ! am testing this myself now. I have almost got the hang of the testing kit.

Postby Luca » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:41 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:Hi Renee

Yes, ! am testing this myself now. I have almost got the hang of the testing kit.

Good luck with it all and hope you're keeping positive.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Petronius wrote:Apparently June 10 to 18 is Diabetes Week. Insert in today's Guardian has an advert from Diabetes UK - "There are 4.7 million people in the UK living with diabetes. And every one is different"

Which follows on from Pampy's post. If it turns out to be diabetes then I'm certain the diet can fit in with your gout.

Before everything changed for OH, GP offered her a place on 'The Healthier You NHA Diabetes Prevention Programme. Might be worth an ask.

I have spent the best part of 2 and a half days reading the information on the Diabetes UK website which has been incredibly useful. I have registered with their Learning Zone section as well. There are some great recipes on there too. I have also joined the Type 2 Diabetes Support page (Closed Group) on Facebook as well. It is also a friendly place to be 98% of the time. As ever, there is the occasional troll comment on the page but it is moderated/adminned well.

Although my blood sugars are still too high, they have reduced substantially from the spikes I had on Friday (not surprisingly!)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Just an update on the above. I am now on insulin which is working well, along with the pills I m taking. As i suspected, the low carb diet is not helping my gout at all. I also currently have fairly mild liver and kidney issues, and I cannot take my gout pills because of this. hopefuly once these are sorted out I will be able to take them. At the moment i am just trying to drink as much water as possible and cope with the pain.

The one good thing about all this is that i seem to have found my cooking mojo again, and am expanding my repertiore a bit more.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Shame about the gout treatment.

I hope the insulin treatment + diet helps everything to stabilise

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 pm

Drinking plenty of water is good with gout as you know and taking a vitamin C supplement is helpful too apparently, although it doesn't work as well as drugs do. I take a 500g supplement with bioflavanoids every day.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:46 am

I think anyone with kidney problems should check with the clinic, before taking vitamin C and with liver problems or gout then be very cautious about any supplements, though presumably sic already knows which to avoid for gout

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:14 am

Gosh SSC - they've got you on insulin very quickly. Was there no discussion about trying diet and exercise and/or just tablets before going onto insulin? Which insulin have you been put on? I agree with Sue - have a chat with your GP or dietitian before taking any supplements - blood sugar levels and vital organ function can be compromised by diabetes (and other) medication so it's better not to put any more stress on your body if you can avoid it.
Best of luck with it all.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 am

Clare, It never rains but ...…….

At least they are being proactive - hopefully it all will stabilised sooner rather than later.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:09 pm

I wonder if the rush to insulin is because the gout and kidney issues preclude the stricter forms of dietary diabetic control? I don't know anything, just an educated guess. And it depends of course on what blood tests have been done and what the results are.

Excess Vitamin C can encourage kidney stones, already a problem in gout patients.

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks for the information about Vitamin C Sue.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 pm

All the best, Stricters.
Can't say any more than that, as i know nothing about your conditions.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Hello all

When i first saw the diabetic nurse, by blood sugars were so high that she didn;t know whether I had T1 or T2, hence the early start on insulin injections. My sugars are stabilising now though.

Postby Renee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 pm

That's such good news, Strictly.

I'm going to be taking part in a Diabetes Prevention programme because my readings were up a bit, but then they normalised. I'm looking forward to taking part because I do need to lose some weight. I also have gout, so can sympathise with you.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox