Register

Waitrose Swiss Roll catastrophe

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Waitrose Swiss Roll catastrophe

Postby cherrytree » Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Yesterday I wanted to take this to a lunch . The recipe looked perfect and as usual for me I followed the recipe to the letter.
All went well with the actual Swiss roll bit.
The filling was marscapone mixed with mashed (but not to much) strawberries. I added the exactamount of Billingtons golden caster sugar. At this point I began to feel slightly concerned. As I spread the filling on the Swiss roll and slowly began to roll it up. Then disaster occurred. The filling shot out of the Swiss roll all over the kitchen table and the resulting mess was spectacular.
I’m very cross. I was incredibly careful and I feel let down by a supposedly reliable magazine and company. I don’t know how it all went so badly wrong.

Re: Waitrose Swiss Roll catastrophe

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 20, 2019 1:50 am

Did you refrigerate the filling before putting it in the roll? That may have helped.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 20, 2019 9:19 am

Mascarpone can go a bit liquid with heat or warmth.
If ever there is a next time, Dan's wedding cake uses mascarpone as a butter filling, I've used that a lot of times: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... pe-wedding

I had a spectacular catastrophe, making pinwheels with pesto filling.
I've still no idea what happened, but they turned into an oily gooey flobby mess. I've made them before and they should look like this:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am

I think it must have been too warm Cherrytree.

Gill did you make the pesto or did you use the same brand as usual ? Sounds like too much oil to me.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 20, 2019 2:01 pm

It had been in my very cold fridge. I think I’ll just put it down to a one off disaster. I’m just glad that I’m not alone when I read about other catastrophes! Thanks so much.

Postby Pommes » Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Turn the swiss roll out of the tin onto a piece of lightly sugared baking paper. Trim the sides & roll up with the paper inside. Cool completely, then unroll it & spread with this very soft-sounding, but delicious, filling.

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Which is exactly what I did. To the letter.

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 21, 2019 11:39 am

Cherrytree,

According to the Waitrose website, it is stated, that "It is
best to you the Swiss Pastry before 14 days" ..

Is it possible that the Pastry for the Swiss Roll
was older than 14 days ?

I am not a Baker, so I cannot assist in this matter,
however, the expiration date or best date to use by,
had come to mind ..

Try it again, and perhaps purchase the Swiss Pastry
for Swiss Rolls in another shop. Or prepare your own.

Good luck. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Another possible problem might have been too much filling.
And I´m just wondering - next time, perhaps it´ll be safer to use cream cheese!

Postby cherrytree » Tue May 21, 2019 1:38 pm

No, Member 461, I am not talking about Swiss Pastry. A Swiss Roll is a traditional British cake - nothing to do with pastry at all. Often it is a fatless sponge, although on this cast it had melted butter added after the eggs and caster sugar had been beaten in the Kenwood for about 8 minutes.
I certainly didn’t put too much filling on- I stopped short when it started to leak everywhere.
Interestingly I put the remainder of the filling back in the fridge. 24 hours later it was as runny as ever.
Never mind. I shall just shrug my shoulders and if I have a desperate need to make a strawberry filled Swiss roll again, I’ll stick to our lovely British double cream or maybe Cornish clotted cream and follow Mary Berry!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 21, 2019 2:08 pm

From whay you said about the strawberries I suspect the mixture was always going to be too runny. Mashed strawberries are very juicy. Possibly sliced might have been better?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Tue May 21, 2019 3:14 pm

I think you’re right about the strawberries. On reflection, I think this was a badly put together recipe that contributors on here have managed to put right!
Thanks ,all of you.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 21, 2019 3:27 pm

I sometimes make meringue swans which are held together with pineapple in whipped cream. I have to use gelatine to stop it being too runny. Maybe your filling needed something like this.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 21, 2019 3:41 pm

I always understood that pineapple and gelatine didn't work together because of the enzyme in pineapple.

Postby cherrytree » Tue May 21, 2019 4:06 pm

I imagine that if you were just adding gelatine to the cream then the pineapple enzyme problem wouldn’t occur.
Talking of cream though Joan, Im very glad that I don’t need Chantifix or whatever it’s called, to thicken cream in the UK. What on earth is in it?

Postby Suelle » Tue May 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Adding my two penn'orth - it was full fat mascarpone?
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby cherrytree » Tue May 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Hello Suelle- how lovely to hear from you- your brownies recipe is still the unbeatable one in our house.
The marscapone was from Sainsburys “A creamy soft cheese perfect for luxurious desserts “. It was the only one Sainsbury’s had and certainly doesn’t mention being a low fat version(I avoid those low fat substitutes anyway as they often have other nasty stuff in). So I don’t know. Just a disappointing experience, but not the end of the world. I might write to Waitrose though.

Postby Suelle » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 pm

How kind of you to say so, cherrytree!

I do sometimes wonder how well recipes are tested. An industrial test kitchen is not the same as a domestic one, and scaling down from making, say, enough cream to fill a dozen swiss rolls sometimes isn't just a matter of dividing the quantities by 12. Very small quantities can be harder to whip, for example.

It's worth checking recipes you find on websites to make sure they are not a 'reader contribution' too, as they are often untested.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Pampy » Tue May 21, 2019 11:31 pm

The purpose of using gelatine is exactly as cherrytree said - it stops the pineapple enzyme from liquefying the whipped cream.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 22, 2019 8:29 am

To answer your question Joan, shop bought not home made. It just all broke down in the oven. Waaaay to much oil.

I do find supermarket items vary.
I bought some SO balsamic from Sainsbury for something I make often, and it made it taste like acid. I wasn't expecting that dramatic fail.

Maybe worth checking the content label (online) between the Sainos mascarpone and Waitrose too.
Some double creams for example can be more like single creams in certain shops.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox