Register

Waitrose Swiss Roll catastrophe

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Waitrose Swiss Roll catastrophe

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Cherrytree

Never heard of Chantifix. I don't have problems with whipping cream here - providing you use the correct one. I tend to use a 40% mg like Isigny for firm cream and sometimes mix it with 30$ fleurette for a lighter one. If I want true Chantilly I use 30% in my siphon.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm

I’ve seen it in that section of a French supermarket where they sell flaked almonds and vanilla extract. I only know this because I’ve seen the occasional recipe in Saveur magazine when they want thickened cream in a cake. I’ve never bought it,

Postby cherrytree » Wed May 22, 2019 3:04 pm

However Joan, thanks for your help there about whipping French cream.

Postby Pommes » Sun May 26, 2019 7:17 pm

This weekend I have made a white chocolate & strawberry mousse cake. When I made it for the first time it was a disaster, as the main part was way too runny, using only full fat mascarpone, whipped double cream, melte white chocolate & strawberry purée. No way was this going to be served elegantly!

This time I added 3 sheets of gelatine, & leaving it in the spring form tin until the last minute, (it had to be transported), it was lovely to cut and serve in slices.

On the question of gelatine/pineapple, tinned pineapple will set in a jelly, but fresh will not.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox