Register

Swiss roll dilemma

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Swiss roll dilemma

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 13, 2019 6:46 pm

I want to make the Swiss roll recipe that is in the current Waitrose magazine for Saturday lunchtime. It is filled with strawberries and marscapone and the sponge has melted butter and toasted almonds in the mixture.
Will it be ok to make it on Friday or should I get up early on Saturday?
I could make the sponge on Friday and roll it up with the baking paper inside. What does anyone think please?

Site Admin

Re: Swiss roll dilemma

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Don't quote me, but it sounds as if there's enough stuff in it to keep it moist, I'd definitely do it Friday just in case it needs redoing Saturday!

Here's one I made in 1970...

(Not really, I think it was a pic from a Robert Carrier book)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 13, 2019 7:47 pm

This isn’t helpful... but I’d go the other way and think the combination of berries and mascarpone might make the cake soggy overnight

I’d go for making the cake on Friday and filling on Saturday - not least because I’d want the cake stone cold before adding that filling

Postby Suffs » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 pm

I agree with StokeySue ... I’m in the car atm so haven’t checked the recipe but I’d make the sponge on Friday and do what Mary Berry does and roll it up with sheet of greaseproof inside it , and store In plastic box overnight then unroll remove paper and fill just before serving.

Postby jeral » Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 pm

I'd worry about the moisture too. As a Plan B if soggy, it could be eaten like a trifle, maybe with a dollop of extra (flavoured or coloured) cream.

A thought on rolling it up. When chefs/cooks make Yule logs, they roll them up from the short end and apparently cracking is normal. Also decorated with icing sugar, for which the cake would need to be absolutely cold, so filling it the next day sounds best, unless it falls apart unrolling so you finish up with Eton-style mess ;)

It'll still be delicious to eat though :)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox