Register

Dining Alone

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Dining Alone

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 06, 2019 11:59 am

Intriguing article on "Eating alone". Haven't read it completely yet, just plonked it here to come back to later. May deserve a thread?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -our-diets

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Intriguing article on "Eating alone". Haven't read it completely yet, just plonked it here to come back to later. May deserve a thread?

Yes worth a thread, I thought it was interesting but missed a few tricks

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 06, 2019 3:43 pm

I thought that Eating Alone article was worth a read as well. Although I am married, Mr Strictly does shift work, and works alternate weekends. I do enjoy these 'Home Alone Food' days because i can indulge myself in the kinds of things that don't suit both of us for whatever reason.

Postby jeral » Mon May 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Intriguing article on "Eating alone". Haven't read it completely yet, just plonked it here to come back to later. May deserve a thread?

The article hasn't swayed me from thinking that people will eat more or less than they need compensating sooner or later whatever the companionship environment. Such studies would I imagine find it impossible to gauge the healthiness of the multitudinous foods eaten - for example, perhaps opulent on the occasional night out or "always more, or less, healthy" if home alone, or as a family eater partaking perhaps obligatorily in food offered over which they have no control except take or leave.

The relevance of eating more or less is significant surely depending on what one is eating regularly or consistently.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 pm

The article seems to me to assume that people eat more when dining solo because of a lack of observers to shame you into eating less

I find I tend to eat more when eating alone at home than when there are others present simply because I don’t use serving dishes when alone, so I put the theoretical whole portion on my plate. And once it’s there, I tend to eat it. I am quite careful about portion sizes, but there is always that tendency not to leave a quantity of leftovers too small to be useful

And apart from the dreaded single ready meal, given that there are so many small households, it’s shockingly difficult to buy ingredients in small amounts rather than “bargain” multipacks.

Postby Renee » Mon May 06, 2019 11:49 pm

I always cook for one and am usually very controlled except when it comes to roast potatoes! :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 09, 2019 11:09 pm

Sakkarin,

I enjoyed the article on Eating Alone.

I do enjoy eating lunch alone at home or
in a restaurant or bar, from time to time.

It gives me a chance to read, or catch up
with some professional projects like my newsletter,
proof read, family, planning events,
and / or just to sit and enjoy my time
for me ..

Have a lovely evening. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 10, 2019 9:13 am

Oh dear, where are my specs?
I read it that Member 461 sits in bars doing her family planning.

Postby Alexandria » Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 am

W. Wordsworth,

I sit with a notebook and plan
a variety of things ..

Professional, trips and family weekend
visits etcetra.

I believe you mis-understood me.

Note; There is a comma in between
planning and family .. Meaning visiting
them or seeing them for special festivities.

Not "family planning as in babies" ..
I am in my early 50s ..

Definitely
not Dear .. Two grown married twin Boys
were enough !!

And two grandsons too.
Have a lovely day.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 10, 2019 12:09 pm

:thumbsup

Whew!

Postby Alexandria » Fri May 10, 2019 1:59 pm

W. Wordsworth,

:lol: :lol:

Have a lovely weekend !! :wave

Re: Dining Alone

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 am

W. Wordsworth,

As a matter of fact, i had a lovely
lunch by myself today on my roof top
terrace.

Had a lovely salad and sat with my notebook and wrote my
upcoming notes for a profesional trip I am doing
late this month.

Have a lovely evening. :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 am

Oh dear.
I just read another anguished, dystopian article from the Grauniad, this time about eating alone. I read another last week about the terribly inhumane custom of "sexual assault" on people at work: a handshake, a slap on the back, a kiss or, God Forbid, a hug .
Oh dear. I´ve been eating "alone" ( when I was working, or out, or travelling - or when I lived alone) for over 40 years. What´s the problem? Or perhaps it is a local problem.
Oh dear. Go to Italy, or Spain, or Latin America, and you´ll find that "family" is important; and that means eating with the family. Maybe every day, maybe once a week - but it happens. And what´s more, they kiss, hug, slap each other on the back and worry not a jot .
Does this incipient threat to mankind affect us? But of course - we all get fat. And eat snack food.

Sorry for the rant - but articles like this make my blood ( 95% cholesterol, 5% other stuff), boil.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 am

I've read the article a couple of times, and cannot see what it's saying myself.
It's a running narrative of nothing?
And what's that conclusion that dining alone has seen the rise of dips like hooomoooos. Eh?

My dislike personally, is eating in the street. I don't mean sitting in a park or picnicking, I mean people eating a pasty or "one handed food", whilst walking round town and the shops.
Never liked doing that, no matter how hungry I am. I'd have to wait until I got to a chair indoors somewhere.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 14, 2019 11:00 am

I'm entirely with Gill on street grazing. You rarely see it here except in the tourist season and that's when the litter arrives too.

I don't think I have eaten alone for years. If I remember rightly when and if I had to I barely ate anything. I have never been a snack nibbler or grazer either. So why am I not pencil slim? Must be the gin :lol: M would be given half a chance.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 am

I don’t think, kka and Gill you see the context the same way as I do

This is how it seems to me

Of course people have always eaten alone when it was more convenient to fit in with working patterns, and some people have lived alone

But two things have changed
1, There are far more single person households than ever before
2. People eat out more, whether they live alone or not

There are 27.2 million households in the UK of which 3.9 million are single people of working age (including me). That’s over 14%. There’s also around the same number of single person households over retirement age, making a total of 7.7 million one person households. That’s 28.3%, over a quarter of all households.

Trouble is, nobody has caught up with this yet. Not retailers, who advertise either Dolmio / Bisto type family meals or Wiltshire Farm Foods type single person ready meals aimed at the infirm elderly. Not restaurants, other than chain or very casual, who except in business locations in London don’t really expect single diners. Not even cookbooks - I bought a book that gave “easy” recipes for packed lunches, but only easy if making 4 identical lunches (I’d assume even in a 4 person family that’s not often required)

I have not had a family meal with my own family since January 2012, and I’ll never have another - my surviving relatives are a few cousins too distant both geographically and emotionally. That’s possibly a little extreme, but I wonder how many of those 7.7 million solos live within Sunday lunching distance of family? Half?

I like eating out in restaurants, probably more than most of my other single friends do, I will organise trips to restaurants but it’s like herding cats, much easier just to go, but I don’t always feel that comfortable doing that.

So that’s where we are. And of course it is affecting the diet and ultimately the health of many singles, and there are enough of us to impact the NHS and social services. I’m ok, I have the time, the inclination, the equipment, the nutritional awareness and the skills to cook healthy meals. Not all of 7.7 illion people do. It’s a big shift in the UK demographic.

Postby patpoyntz » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

I don’t like street grazing either...
I can’t remember ever dining out alone, but I find it a real treat if I’m having a day on my own shopping in Edinburgh, or sometimes Newcastle, and I find somewhere really nice for lunch on my own. I’ve always been well looked after, and it’s a great opportunity to people watch....my second favourite occupation!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue May 14, 2019 6:07 pm

I will be having a Home Alone Week from next Monday, but will be going shopping for it this Wednesday. I am therefore needing to think post haste what I am going to treat myself to food-wise! I think there will be a few store-cupboard standby meals during the latter part. It's a good job these are well stocked at the moment, both the cupboard and the freezer.

Mr Strictly is going up to his mum's to sort a few more things out for her. Unfortunately, due to work commitments (another colleague on leave), I will be unable to join him.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 am

My dislike personally, is eating in the street. I don't mean sitting in a park or picnicking, I mean people eating a pasty or "one handed food", whilst walking round town and the shops.

Hear, hear, Gill. I think it´s an absolutely appalling habit. Every time I go back to Maidstone, there are always gaggles of teenagers, wandering six abreast along the High St, grazing on pies, or pasties, or with their grubby paws wrist-deep in a Mega-Bag of Doritos. " Awright, Jolene - see ya later, mate. I´ll catch up wiv you on Facebook". :crying1 ( add whiny Kentish accent)
:gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am

Or the lone barman ramming a fist of crisp into his mouth, then asking "what can I get you?"
You can wash your hands first.
No wonder the beer's flat down south ;)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox