Register

Happy Birthday!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Happy Birthday!

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:23 am

Happy 7th Anniversary to the Food Board Refugees!

It's astonishing how many of you who signed up in those first couple of weeks are still around, Gill being the very first member:

Founder Members:
Gill, Pampy, Petronious, Mrs Vee, Uschi, DEB, JoanB, Mark111757, Luca, Strictlysalsa, Suelle, Cherrytree, Renee, Karadekoolaid, Stokey, Kavey, Jeral, Binky, Smitch and Luscious!

And a few occasional visitors who don't post but still keep tabs on us, plus a few who changed their names because they forgot their passwords ;-)

Does anyone know the earlier history of the Beeb Board? I was only on the Beeb board for 5 years; in the form that I joined the posts on the board went back to 2005, but some of the older members used to speak as if it had been around longer. Was there an earlier BBC Food board? It also used to be linked into a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy thing, maybe that was the link.

Re: Happy Birthday!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Happy Anniversary .. :wino

Best wishes.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 pm

:blowing-birthday-cake to us snd especially to you Sakkers for all your hard work. You can have the firsst slice of cake! :wino
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Oooo, happy foodie refugee-day.

I joined the old Board in 2003. Mamta replied to my first post on there.
I think Renee might be the most original member from way back, or maybe Suelle.

If you hang around long enough, you are guaranteed to become "a well respected poster!"

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:52 pm

The hitch hikers thing was rather a later addition.
I never did warm to it.

Early days was an standalone Q&A style messageboard.
Then round about the time you joined, it became rather heavily dependent upon blog style reportage and TV driven. Massively moderated you will remember.
It lost its way.

Earlier, it had instant messaging Q&A's after Saturday Kitchen. Ken Hom will be taking your food questions after the show, sort of affair.
Where the guest chefs were nastily bullied and trolled, real time, which was all rather painful.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:42 pm

Coincidentally, I was thinking only yesterday what a useful and pleasant resource we have, courtesy Sakkarin. In fact I wrote that in a post yesterday, then changed it so as not to appear sycophantic. Suffice it to say thanks and a Happy Birthday to all whether contributors or readers :)

Apparently the 7th wedding anniversary symbol is wool or copper. Sauteed Angora anyone? Or would that be the proverbial rabbit food.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Happy Birthday to us, thanks for the mention Sakkers. I remember registering so quickly, as soon as Gill mentioned it on the old Beeb board.

Postby Wic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Many Happy Returns!

And thank you for all the effort you put in. Life wouldn’t be the same without you!

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 pm

Wishing us all a Very Happy Birthday!!!

:blowing-birthday-cake :birthday-dancer :birthday-dancer

This makes me feel very old! :lol: :lol: I posted on the BBC Food Board for many years and going back to dial-up Broadband. Now when would that be? I remember Suelle from those days and The Doc. He was quite young and his friends called him The Doc because of all his experiments. :shock: He is probably a pilot now, because he joined a flying school. RAF maybe? Such a long time ago. He was such a character and a great poster.

I also remember Diana and my friend Judy.

Very many thanks to you Sakkarin. We wouldn't all be here if it wasn't for you.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:40 pm

I was around then too Renee. I think my posting name was either Jude or Judith. Shirley Ekstein, Shelia Sears, Lindsay Freeman, Stefan, Judy Starling were all regulars as was Sue L whom you mention.

We had some lovely Mods in those days too who tried to keep up with us!!!

I often wonder about Luke (the Doc). He would have served in the second Gulf War.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm

PS. I think I heard that Diana had died.

Postby Amyw » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:54 pm

I was on the Beeb boards and now Wildfood as prettykiwicrazy. Had to change my name here .

Many happy memories, it’s such a shame it went downhill in the last year or two . I also think it’s a shame we can no longer search the archives using Sakkarins wonderful tool.
I follow hollow legs on social media who’s doing very well for herself now . Loved fcq, had a wonderful loving way of writing about food . Kari was another one I remember and I wondered where foodluv has gone to . Ian has well was a great poster and hope he’s doing well . Two other experts were Dr Sweetsmoke and Paul the Bread, v interesting

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Happy Birthday everyone

I certainly found the Beeb board via H2G2, the Hitch Hikers guide thing, but I think that had a previous life off Beeb

I do sometimes find it confusing when people refer to members by their real life names which I may not know
Still FB friends etc with many, for example PeaSoupDragon and Annie, Belgian Endive, Scott the Keys, Scientist_22. . I follow Melanie Jappy (MelJ I think) on Twitter, now she’s a producer of food and drink tv

I remember many spats, a few even quite serious, and some intrigues

Sadly the list of those to remember as they have departed grows, both Denadar (Dena) and denada, Food_Lover (Neil), and of course the first sad loss, Gaynor (Pamela)

I wonder where Random Kitty, Robert, the Aristologist et al are now?

This is a nice little clubhouse though, thanks sakkarin :wino

Postby smitch » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm

I think I first joined the BBC boards about 12 years ago but rarely posted. I posted more on Wildfood but although I lurk there sometimes, I decided it wasn’t for me. I’d post more on here if I had time. I read the threads but that’s about it most of the time. It makes for a good break from spreadsheets and Chinese university transcripts at work :lol:

I went to a meetup in York a long time ago with Annie and FCQ, plus a few others. I also met a really close friend at a Manchester BBC board meet 10 years ago. Kari came to that too, was FB friends with her until she died.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 pm

OMG, my list did not include Kari (Karen) or FCQ (FrenchCheeseQueen, Carol) both real life friends

RIP mes amis

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:47 pm

I’m a relative newbie here but I was on theBeeb board on abc off god suite a dhole.
Happy birthday everyone and Thanks! Sakkarin :wino

Postby Renee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:48 am

Pepper Pig, I'm so glad that you told me who you are! I knew you as Judith Lark! Judy Starling is a very close friend and I stayed with her in Essex a couple of years ago. Oh yes, I remember the lovely Mods! Memories are coming back now! I never posted on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Yes, Diana died a few years ago. We had planned to meet up when she was over here, but it didn't happen. :(

I did leave the BBC Food Board for some time, because dial-up was unbelievably slow, but came back later.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 am

Hippy Burpday, Refugees!

I wasn´t on the the Beeb Board for too long, I seem to recall. I´d originally been posting on an American site, but that ended with some terrible squabbling and I sneaked away. Life´s too short to scream and wail at people you don´t even know!
When the Beeb was on its way out, I clearly remember the "moderators" being a bit hypersensitive at times.
Never mind - I raise my glass to you, Sakks, for a splendid website.
Long may she reign!

Postby Suffs » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:40 am

Suffs wrote:I’m a relative newbie here but I was on theBeeb board on abc off god suite a dhole.
Happy birthday everyone and Thanks! Sakkarin :wino

Sorry! Posting on my phone and without spectacles. It should say “I was on the Beeb board on and off for quite a while.”

FCQ and Onslow were real friends of ours as wereJim and Kathy. Memories eh?!

Postby dennispc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:29 am

I’m a FM am I? Sounds good. :thumbsup . I joined the Beeb board, recommended by Paulthebread, just when there was an almighty whohah going on about how to make meringue. Nearly put me off, but over the years when various posters got upset with each other I had a break for a couple of months.

Names back then forsake me, but I’ve still got Denadar’s recipe for apple jellies which includes a comment that’s she’d been known to add green colouring to some, but not to tell anyone! Lovely.

Paulthebread is part of our coffee morning circuit so I see him regularly, as in last Tuesday.

Yes, Sakkarin you’ve done a wonderful job and everything seems so calm here compared to those Beeb days. Thank you.

dennispc

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox