Register

Best extravagances, successful purchases

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Best extravagances, successful purchases

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 am

I spent a lot on a 23 and a 20cm square cake tin, plus piping bag.
Where I've only used them twice (for the same cake recipe). I'll use them again if I can perfect a madeira cake recipe.

Megan
I'm pleased to hear the Dualit goes on and on.
My previous, Kenwood I think, toaster died pretty quickly.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:19 am

I also have some dariole moulds, individual flan tins, small loaf tins and a slightly fluted bundt tin. However, they have all been used a few times. I think the darioles will be used soon, once the weather has cooled down a bit. I recently had a lemon sponge pudding with a blueberry compote for dessert at a Harvester restaurant. It was one of the loveliest restaurant puds I've eaten in recent years. As we have some lemon curd in the fridge and summer berries in the freezer, I am wanting to make an alternative version of it. This is because Mr Strictly is not keen on blueberries.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 am

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure I bought the Dualit (2 slice + toasted sandwich slot) following a kitchen revamp in 1994, so probably 1995 at the latest, and my Magimix processor after it was definitely bought before 1998. The Magimix has had several replacement parts though, however you can still buy all the bits too, most recently the main bowl.

The Dualits are three times the price of Kenwoods, Gill!!! The classic ones, that is, they do cheaper ones now too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:45 am

I used to tear my hair out at the old toaster, that took longer than boiling a kettle twice. Jeez it was sooooooo slow.
You know where tea is absolutely ready to go on the table, and your OH would say, can I have a slice of toast with it .......................... :crying1
My sister had a "rapid" toaster, that popped nicely brown toast in the blink of an eye.

That pudding sounds good, Stricters. Good luck with your recreation.

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 am

We bought a classic Dualit earlier this year. It was really expensive, I almost changed my mind, but I love it. We’ve been through loads of cheap toasters so hopefully it will be worth the investment.

From reading the reviews it seems the cheaper ones are not as good or long lasting. Not sure how true that is but there is a significant price difference.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:05 pm

I’ve got the cheaper Dualit, with sandwich cages
It’s at least 12 years old, and in perfect condition
It’s only me that uses it, which probably helps but even so it’s doing well

I suppose my Cuisinart spice grinder was an extravagance, but it’s great.

Postby smitch » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Sue, I’ve been considering getting a sandwich cage. Are they any good?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:41 pm

I use the sandwich cages a lot

Obviously if you are making toasted sandwiches they have to have a reasonably dry filling so it doesn’t flood out as it heats up

But I really use it for things that would otherwise be too small or too likely to get stuck in the slots if I couldn’t be sure of lifting them out in the cage
Split bagels, crumpets, waffles, halved pitta, scotch pancakes etc. And split hot cross buns to be toasted just on the cut side tomorrow

Postby Pampy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Lakeland do wooden toast tongs which are invaluable for getting small/fiddly things out of a toaster. They have a magnet on the side so you can attach them to the toaster (positioned so there's no change of the magnet coming into contact with the elements).

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm

I really avoid using tongs etc with my toaster as I can’t really see what I’m doing, so there’s a genuine risk of either damaging the element or leaving a small chunk of food where it will ignite next time (done that). A cage is much easier and safer for me.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox