Register

Best extravagances, successful purchases

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Best extravagances, successful purchases

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:05 am

Renee and I were talking just about expensive purchases, or over expensive purchase. That may or may not have been worth it.

One such purchase, I shared a large wild meat order with a foodie chum of mine.
We both had half a mutton order.

And it still holds in our memory as one of the best meats we've ever eaten.
Mutton.
Far better than the ubiquitous leg o' lamb. And worth every extravagant penny.

Re: Best extravagances, successful purchases

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Worthy extragavances ..

Carabineros (Crevette Rouges) often called
Crevettes in English.
Their Latin Name is: Aristeidae Antennatus.
They are called Gamba Rosada in Catalan, however,
they are much much larger than a
small Dénia Red Gamba (prawn).

Another would have to be
real Osetra Caviar.

And last but not least,
Champagne and a bottle
of Vega Sicilia, from Ribera
Del Duero, Valladolid.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm

My extravagances are

Fresh black truffles
Fresh morrel mushrooms
Lobster and fresh crab (bought one yesterday)

I love Vega Sicilia but unfortunately I can no longer drink it so I'll go for
Chateau Grillet - Condrieu or a top white Burgundy.

Other than that my tastes are remarkably simple :gonzo
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm

The paralytic ovens were a tidy sum, but worth it.

I could probably buy meat much more cheaply if I didn't use local farms and our butcher. Similarly cheeses from local delis or The Cheese Teller. They are all worth it.

Seasonal asparagus & strawberries.

I do splash out on the occasional bottle of Amarone, and some nice malt whiskies, but there's a limit to what I would consider a sensible price.

I used to buy more expensive wine for Christmas than I'd typically spend the rest of the year. Sometimes this worked and sometimes it didn't.

I intend to get myself a lovely looking Japanese knife or two, but haven't got a round tuit.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 pm

My Magimix was definitely an extravagance when I bought it, but it has replayed the investment

Likewise my four stainless steel roasting pans, bought about 30 years ago and I doubt I’ll ever buy another

On food, definitely cheese, sausages and charcuterie. Sometimes wine and spirits. Some fish - I do buy good frozen for everyday suppers, but good smoked fish and shellfish aren’t cheap in London. Or things like seasonal Cornish red mullet

Postby smitch » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Was both an extravagance and a good deal, my Kenwood chef bought from a colleague when he splashed out on a Thermomix. He’d bought loads of extra bits for it too.

Food and drink wise, I buy good gin, bourbon whiskey and beer. Since beer is one of our hobbies, I’m happy to buy expensive stuff from certain breweries. We also like decent cheese and sourdough bread from a local bakery.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:27 pm

I feel my coffee habit is / isn’t an extravagance

I will buy expensive beans and I have the equipment, espresso machine, grinder etc.

On the other hand, buying 5 less good coffees a week, I’d spend the cost of the equipment in approximately 3 or 4 months

Postby smitch » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Ah yes, I’d forgotten about coffee. Add that to my list too! We tend to buy beans from a couple of local roasters and as I can only drink decaf, we end up with two bags on the go.

Postby Pampy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 pm

Mine must be the whole kitchen! When I modernised the house a few years ago, I went mad on the kitchen, particularly the appliances. I think BM and I have similar paralytic ovens - one of mine is also a microwave and they both have so many functions, they do everything except get the food out of the fridge! I also got an induction hob which, along with the paralytic capabilities of the ovens, make appliance cleaning a dream! I went silly with the granite working surface too.
On the food front, I sometimes treat myself to a lobster and I love good quality cheese and drinks wise, good quality Nuits St Georges, Croze Hermitage or St Emilion are favourites that I sometimes splash out on.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:37 am

I think my must successful purchases are as follows

1. My Kenwood food processor, with almost all the bells and whistles (the only attachment it doesn't have is a parmesan grater!). This was bought with some of the Argos vouchers we were given on our wedding day. All the attachments have been used at least once, and some get used an awful lot. One of the attachments looks a little bit like a spice mill, but is not robust enough for that. However, it's brilliant for blitzing bread into crumbs. I would be lost without it.

2. My Kenwood Prospero free-standing food mixer. I lusted over a high powered food mixer for years, but couldn't justify getting one unto not long after I started my current job. Now that I am working at a residential charitable school and college for young people with learning disabilities, there are regular bake sales, even if they are for other charities such as Macmillan Nurses. There is also about 12 people in our department, so I need to make a 4 egg cake mix for them!

Best extravagances are the following

Artisan breads, cheeses, sausages, flavoured vodkas (we have 3 in the drinks cabinet at present!). Last September I bought half a lamb from my workplace's farm. It was the best lamb we have ever tasted. They are now selling sausages and burgers, and am hoping to buy some on Monday and the farm will be open for a short while so the livestock can be fed. The eggs from there are also beautiful, especially the bantam ones (soo cute!)

Gillthepainter - I completely agree with you about mutton. It is so wonderful when cooked slowly, preferably in the slow cooker. We can get it quite easily as we have a few halal butchers in town; even our local Asda has a counter! Yes this is controversial but it doesn't worry us that much. We buy the chops or casserole bits and the gravy it makes is off the scale! The stew is also wonderful.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 am

I've got new kitchen, and kitchen appliance envy in equal measure.

Forgot about coffee.
I'm buying knock-off coffee pods for me at a fraction of the price, but proprietary brand pods for Tony. Neither of which is cheap.

My other big extravagance is, I shop at Waitrose.
If Tony requires more apples and fruit, we shop together at Morrisons. But otherwise, on my own, Waitrose.

Postby Renee » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:11 am

My biggest extravagance is that I spend far too much on food.

I like Waitrose to Gill but only call in there when I get the Park'nRide into Preston and that's not very often. Also it's about 7 miles away.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:17 am

It's always on my way for me, Renee, like a convenience store.
Either on my bike, or when I stroll down into town.
Other supermarkets are a car drive away.

Like you, I may spend a lot on food. But I don't waste it. Shopping every day almost, I have a sense of control over my food purchasing.
It isn't left to "go over" in the fridge.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 am

I suppose the Instant Pot is an extravagance, but it replaced an old stove top pressure cooker and a slow cooker, gets used a lot and earns its keep. Similarly, our breadmaker. Mrs B wanted to get one years ago. My reaction was along the lines of "A hundred quid? We'd have to make a thousand loaves in that to make it worth getting!"

She took no notice of me of course. After more than fifteen years and two thousand loaves, it's still going strong and I would unhesitatingly replace it with the latest version should it pack up. I've got a loaf on at the moment. It takes up less room and makes less mess in our smallish kitchen than doing it by hand.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 am

She took no notice of me of course.

ha ha ha!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Without doubt in this house - a good stock of really good red wine which is pricey & sometimes looks like the national debt, but we enjoy it so why not.

And I don't blink about spending any amount on food - if we want it we have it, it's as simple as that - you can't take it with you.

And comfort, as in home comforts, especially heating etc. which can be eye-wateringly expensive, but again we don't stint.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 pm

The most expensive bottle of wine I've bought was a Margaux.

And without doubt, one of the best wines I've drunk at home. In fact, ever.

You can't take it with you.
Exactly.

However, I'm very cheap when it comes to using my mobile phone.
I cannot stand the expense, which is a bit dumb, as they are phenomenally great things.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:56 pm

I'm afraid my biggest extravagance was a failure, my Pavoni expresso machine. Far too much faff to bother with. I think it cost £290 thirty years or so ago...

Still makes a posh kitchenalia ornament, though.

The expensive Dualit toaster gets used frequently however, only yesterday to toast some pitta to go with homemade hoomoose.

Postby Meganthemog » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:15 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I'm afraid my biggest extravagance was a failure, my Pavoni expresso machine. Far too much faff to bother with. I think it cost £290 thirty years or so ago...

Still makes a posh kitchenalia ornament, though.

The expensive Dualit toaster gets used frequently however, only yesterday to toast some pitta to go with homemade hoomoose.

I'm not sure that a Dualit toaster can be classed as expensive when they go on forever! My mum bought me mine in 2004 and it gets used every day and is still not just in perfect working order (I have my fingers crossed as I type this!) but still looks as good as the first day. Before this I had just ordinary toasters costing about £40 and they never lasted more than a few years - I think mum spent about £100 on my Dualit so it's doing pretty well :thumbsup

I understand that if they do go wrong you can buy the parts to fit yourself or in my case get OH to fit :lol:

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:21 pm

To my mind, extravagances are things we buy but don't use. Anything used is worth the money, even if eye-wateringly expensive.

My extravagances (that is, items bought and left languishing in the cupboards) are some individual fluted metal flan dishes, a cake mould for one of those German 'round ring' cakes (never used), a Yo yogurt maker from Lakeland, and a spaghetti machine (used once). Must have spent £££s on that lot.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox