Register

The Red Gold of La Mancha .. Saffron ..

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:28 pm

From the landscapes to daily life, Saffron is an integral part of the
Castile La Mancha región, where one of the world´s most prized
varieties grow. Having survived industrialisation, the new challenge
is to keep it un-altered.

The last Saffron Harvest in La Mancha produced 900 kilos, more than twice
the average of the previous 15 years. (Normally, September 28th in The eastern Toledo &
Albacete regions of designation of origin. )

How do you use Saffron besides, preparing Paellas ?

Furthermore, Health Benefitis include:

It has been found that Saffron can have extraordinarily positive effects on:
1) Cancer
2) Alzheimers
3) Obesity

I have seen it used in desserts, decorative garnishes and in Sous vide preparations. Of course, numerous rices in a wide
variety of countries.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: The Red Gold of La Mancha .. Saffron ..

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Whilst there might be hearsay about the medicinal benefits of saffron, as far as I know there hasn't been any definitive research that proves anything at all. Perhaps you could share your sources, Alexandra?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Yes, I was working through the same thing, Pampy.
The difference between does & "I'd like to think it does" is important.

I actually don't think that much of saffron myself. It's OK I guess, but I don't get the big deal.

And please please please, don't quote that worth more in weight than gold at me. I'll chuffin' explode.
Everyone says that.
Although I saw an old episode of Floyd in Toledo, and the lovely bloke didn't. He was a class act!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:50 pm

I just read a fascinating article as stated.

Dead links removed.
Please find an active link.

& no-one should need to write to a Spanish Organisation to verify a claim, so the posted address has been removed.
Last edited by Gillthepainter on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken links and random postal address
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Saffron to me is a rather ordinary thing. Our next-door neighbour is a saffron grower of some repute and we get it for not a lot of money, especially if we lend a hand in preparing it. I do use it especially with fish and rice and also in desserts and I won a medal a couple of years ago with my saffron and lemon marmalade. To me it's good but just what Julien next door produces. :clap :thumbsup
Last edited by Joanbunting on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Joan,

I have had Southern French and Italian Saffron too ( Flos in Italy is the company´s name )
as well as Iranian .. All our very good. It depends on the end usage too ..

Like the idea of lemon and saffron mermalade.

Have a lovely holiday week ahead.

Postby Meganthemog » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:02 pm

We used to get saffron buns when we lived in Devon when I was a child - loved them. Now I generally use it in tagines and paella.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Megan The Mog,

Yes, Tagines definitely ! :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:47 am

I always have saffron in the pantry, but rarely use it.
In fact, the only time I´ve used it in the past 10 years is in a green mango chutney recipe, called Chundoo.
Chundoo also contains filleted almonds and golden raisins, and is often prepared for wedding feasts.
About 10 years ago, I tinkered with the idea of importing saffron to Venezuela. Apparently, Iranian and Kashmiri saffron vie for " best flavour", even though production is highest in Spain.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Meganthemog wrote:We used to get saffron buns when we lived in Devon when I was a child - loved them. Now I generally use it in tagines and paella.

Saffron cake is a staple in Cornwall. I know this because M's parents once ran a P?O village shop on the Lizard penninsular and they sold powdered saffron in minute quantities - a pinch - in twists of paper. At the time I thought it was all highly over-rated. I never tasted a saffron cake that was anything other than dry and uninteresting, though that could have been rather more due to the skill of the local bakers than the recipes.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Gil, The Painter,

It was an article I had read and I am aware
that uncountable herbs and flora do have beneficial
atributes on health ailments, however, it was
only an article I read.

The Organisation which stated Saffron may have beneficial atributes on the diseases
mentioned in their article, probably have knowledge of this as they are a Government
Ministry ..

The Castille La Mancha
Ministry would be of some help and they
do have an English and Spanish website.

I googled the Ministry and several listings came up.

Have a nice day.

Postby Renee » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:46 pm

I found myself staring at La Mancha saffron in Sainsbury's this afternoon, but I don't need any at the moment. I know where to find it now if I am making Middle Eastern dishes.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 am

A fact or two about saffron.
The flower has 3 pistils, and they have to be harvested by hand.
I suspect ( but am not absolutely sure) having also read that the pistils must be harvested within a day or two, otherwise they are no good.
About 750,000 pistils makes a kilo of saffron. :shock:
Blimey, and I thought picking peas for Bachelor´s was hard work!

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:48 am

You've done your homework Clive! Our neighbour harvest his using the whole flowers which he brings indoors by the huge basket full and then the pickers sit round the table, removing the pistils with thumb and first finger and they go into a tray to dry before the next load of flowers comes in and the picked petals are swept out. It's tedious work and mostly women who do it because we are told we have quicker hands :lol: Unfortunately my now gnarled old ones as not as dextrous as they used to be! The chat's good though.

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 pm

That's just answered something I was wondering, i.e. how the pistils were picked without damaging them (thinking tweezers), so the ladies must be seriously adroit.

How seasonal is saffron? Can the ladies at some point say "Phew - thank goodness it's over for this year." as they're probably seeing double and picking pistils in their sleep.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:12 pm

The actual season for collecting the pstils last about 3 weeks max in the Autumn. You hold the base of the flower in you left hand and remove the pistils with you left, unless you are left handed of course.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:49 pm

I brought back a little box of Kashmiri saffron from India, it was such lovely stuff I really regretted not bringing more

I could have had a very economical Christmas while looking very generous if I’d given it as gifts! :lol:

Saffron used to be produced in Essex, especially at the lovely little town called Saffron Walden of course, and there are various attempts to revive it. You can buy the crocus corms, even on Amazon - I might think about getting some, I wouldn’t get much saffron but would be a nice decoration for a herb garden.

My current saffron is Iranian. I bought it from the Spice Shop, who pack it in miniature screw top jars, not the boxes which I find tend to flip saffron across the kitchen

I use it mainly in risotto but it’s also in some of Sabrina Ghayour’s recipes, not surprising as her food is Persian

People used to put a couple of filaments in the water for caged canaries, to help them stay a pretty yellows and sing sweetly. Not sure if it worked.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 pm

There was a time when Iranian and Kashmiri saffron vied for pole position as the best in the world.
The same as Mexican vanilla.
Whether that has changed these days, I do not know, especially since Spain produces such vast quantities.

Curiously enough, I came across another, utterly delicious recipe today - using saffron. Arancinu (or, depending on which side of Sicily you come from, Arancino; Arancina).
Cripy balls of risotto, stuffed with ( depending on how ambitious you are) ragú, mozzarella, meat & peas...
I actually like Felicity Cloake´s take on these.
Time to prep some risotto to make them...

Postby Alexandria » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Karakoolaide,

Good Afternoon,

The only Spanish Designation of Origin differs from other types, as it is all done traditionally and hand done. :thumbsup

The plants Bloom only for 20 days a year. ( "Desbrizne or Monda", a particularly delicate and detailed phase,
in which the flower petals are separated by hand to get to the stamens. (Late September Harvest Season).

La Mancha Saffron for a rice dish or paella for four people costs approx. 55 cents and a kilo of stamens has 667.000
stamens, so with just a small amount one can créate an excellent dish ..

The Regulatory Council of Castile La Mancha, advises not to use too much, and it should never be toasted.

Saffron is also used in treatments for health according to: Doctor José Miguel Soriano del Castillo, the Director of
Valencia Food & Health. It shows a potential of "anti cancerous effects".

Over 50 publications in Spain, have published conculsive results on the health benefits of Saffron.

The article I read, was written by: Pedro Pérez of the La Fundación del Consejo Regulador
de Azafran de La Mancha.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 pm

Unfortunately everything shows potential as a cancer treatment in the lab - cultured cancer cells are so picky.

Take a tip from a clinical research professional with 42 years experience. If anyone tells you something is a treatment for “cancer”, ask them which one. If you don’t get an immediate, sensible, answer, feel free to ignore them, or even report them if they are a medical professional

Cancer is hundreds of different diseases, all requiring different approaches

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox