Register

Rhubarb

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Rhubarb

Postby Pampy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:32 pm

When I was young, we used to grow rhubarb by the bucket-load which my Mum served in a number of different ways. Any left over towards the end of the season (and when we were all fed-up of it!) was made into jam, both on its own and with ginger, or a curd.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:39 pm

All this talk of rhubarb - I bought some yesterday - haven't a clue yet what I'll do with it!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:17 pm

On the rhubarb side, I only ever do baked rhubarb, honey and yes, with orange as others.
And yoghurt. Never any other way I'm afraid.

(I might think about moving the language posts and what qualifications you possess out and into Chatterbox later).

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:00 pm

In all of this I forgot to mention the fabulous cocktail I had in London last year which involved gin(of course) and rhubarb it was called a rhubarb gimlet and , I acn promise that if you like that sort of thing it was to die for. It almost makes me want to jump on Eurostar and have another!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Meganthemog » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Joanbunting wrote:In all of this I forgot to mention the fabulous cocktail I had in London last year which involved gin(of course) and rhubarb it was called a rhubarb gimlet and , I acn promise that if you like that sort of thing it was to die for. It almost makes me want to jump on Eurostar and have another!

On the quiz show Eggheads a few weeks ago one of the Eggheads was knocked out by getting a question wrong. It was something like what fruit is used in a Gimlet - she said lemon but the answer was lime - easy to remember because of the anagram of lime in the G and T!
Sorry back on the subject of rhubarb now!
I have some rhubarb left and plenty of gin - a cocktail is called for.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm

Joan, sorry, I'm locking this topic temporarily while we review it, and will be moving some posts to a "Room 101" place, hopefully without harming the main thread too much. Gill is already on the case and I still need to read the thread back to try and work out what went wrong.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 am

All the language comments/ NAF have been thinned out here.

A full copy rhubarb thread is now "preserved" in the Admin Board.
It's the best I can do with my moderation abilities, for now. Nothing has been edited nor removed over there.

Any posts complained about have not been touched either, as I don't have edit abilities on the Admin board.

Rhubarb here we come ............................

By the way, Sue, your rhubarb bakewell tart sounds fantastic.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm

There was rather a good discussion on rhubarb on Saturday’s Kitchen Cabinet, and a rhubarb pickle was made. It was also mentioned that slowly cooking rhubarb in a saucepan is a very good way of cleaning it. :clap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00045ld

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Lots of rhubarb here! I always think of this ancient comedy when anyone mentions rhubarb.

Expensive way to clean a saucepan, with the price of supermarket rhubarb, Pepper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOiwJkMvIYI

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:There was rather a good discussion on rhubarb on Saturday’s Kitchen Cabinet, and a rhubarb pickle was made. It was also mentioned that slowly cooking rhubarb in a saucepan is a very good way of cleaning it. :clap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00045ld

Yes and I think this is the Rhubard Relish that Rachel was talking about, will give it a go, Riverford recipes usually work (I have the excellent book they did a few years ago)

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/rhubarb-relish

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Sakkarin, that video clip reminds me that it's said that someone one had the bright idea of a film extra crowd generating hubbub noise by all saying "rhubarb" - until it was noticed that it was easily audibly as such. Oops.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:44 pm

If you want to clean a saucepan, the leaves and trimmings are actually more effective than the edible bits, more oxalis acidcontent

It’s more to remove stains and discolouration thanfor routine cleaning

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:There was rather a good discussion on rhubarb on Saturday’s Kitchen Cabinet, and a rhubarb pickle was made. It was also mentioned that slowly cooking rhubarb in a saucepan is a very good way of cleaning it. :clap

I did hear KC on Saturday and thought it was rather timely for us Foodies. Didn't think there was much we haven't already discussed already though :thumbsup
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Tesco's latest magazine has a couple of rhubarb recipes - rhubarb and red onion relish and a rhubarb sauce for spiced roast pork. You can view the magazine here https://issuu.com/tesco_magazine/docs/t ... _2019_copy

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Right now I fancy some rhubarb crumble and custard. Sadly my 99p eBay oven has given up the ghost, so it will have to wait intil I get round to fixing the oven :-(

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Sakkarin, I read a recipe whereby the crumble is spread thinly on a baking tray then grilled. It does still goes in the oven to finish, but that might be more to cook the fruit. It's a method I use especially if adding oats, which otherwise can make the crumble claggy to me. RIP your oven, or fingers crossed you can revive it if the part is still available. Thermostat gone?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 pm

No, it's the main element, although the grill part of the element is still working.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 am

Aww, that's sad. 99p down the pan!
Unless you know an electrician.

I tried rhubarb and ginger gin at New Year.
I'm not convinced gin benefits from things being added to it tho. Other than tonic or lemonade.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm

I've just ordered some rhubarb gin from Ocado as our mate Paul is coming back from the UK in a couple of weeks. He used to bring Hendricks and Fever Tree but, glory be we can buy both at Leclerc and the gin is actually cheaper than in uk, I thought I might attempt a gimlet. I'll report back.

I can't really fancy the rhubarb abd ginger combination with gin though.

Here are some recipe ideas.
https://www.warnersdistillery.com/blogs ... arb-gimlet

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Joanbunting, for info, Ocado sent an email this morning saying "New in! Stryyk Not Gin" zero alcohol gin. Ditto Stryyk Not Rum zero alcohol. Each at £16/70cl.
Dunno if it might be of interest if you're booking a container-load of goodies, lol.

Some of my friends just don't like alcohol so I guess they wouldn't like something that's the closest thing, but good for car drivers or those who do like the taste but not wobbly legs.

Back to rhubarb...

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox