Register

Rhubarb

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rhubarb

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:19 pm

I know it is an almost everyday ingredient at this time of year in the UK but here it is counted as an exotic fruit :lol:

Apart from the usual crumbles, chutneys and jams what do you use it for and do you have any unusual combinations ?

I've got my hands on some today and I have cut it into short lengths and baked it in the oven with fresh orange juice and pomegranate mollases. I'll serve it cool with sliced fresh strawberries and, if I have time some shortbread biscuits
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Re: Rhubarb

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:37 pm

Following your suggestion in another place, I'm planning on getting some pomegranate molasses tomorrow. I'm still forcing rhubarb, will probably pick some unforced later. Will check availability of strawberries, I don't grow them but buy local ones in the summer.

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:14 pm

I can't help much as it's a neither here nor there taste to me, like gooseberries are to me. There are pies with custard of course. I quite fancy trying rhubarb with mackerel and capers (or a vinegar).

However, I do have an urge to try rhubarb with cauliflower, which strikes a chord. Maybe traybaked rhubarb with cauli florets, Indian spiced, with ginger in there somewherr (or maybe stem ginger in syrup) plus nuts (cashews or walnuts) and rocket or chicory that'd hold their own. Make of that as you will :D

Postby Lizzie-47 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Rhubarb upside down cake.... feeling the urge to bake one now.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:19 pm

I do like rhubarb with pork - & it seems like an age since I've done that.....a plan then!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 pm

French Pâtissier Gaëtan Fiard, Executive Pastry Chef, of the
Parisian Hotel Lutetia, at 45 Boulevard Raspail, in Arrondisement
VI, won the International Confectionary Award.

His Rhubarde and Chocolate récipes are in the English Language
Publication in the online Version of:

http://www.sogoodmagazine.com

Some rhubarde pairings:

Rhubarb with:

Fresh figs and mint
Blue berries, black berries and / or strawberries
All varieites of Apples
Lemon, Honey & Ginger
Dark Chocolate

SAVOURY:
Pork and Fresh Oranges

Have a lovely weekend. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Amyw » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Dark chocolate with rhubarb really, I can't "taste that together. Just to let you, we spell pork with a k

I've made a rhubarb compote before with mackerel, when I used to like it, which did cut through the oiliness well.

I'm quite boring, I like it in a simple crumble, maybe with some apples and a good dollop of clotted cream. A couple of stalks roasted go very well with a deeply vanillay pannacotta.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:15 am

Rhubarb as an alternative to gooseberries with mackerel

I had a slice of a rhubarb Bakewell tart earlier this week, delicious and makes a little rhubarb go a long way

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:05 am

In this house it's usually cut up and sprinkled with sugar to extract the juice, then cooked in the oven or microwave. Typically served cold with porridge or HM panna cotta. Alternatively hot as a crumble or with crushed ginger biscuits over the top.

There's a Fergus Henderson recipe for rhubarb crumble cake that I keep meaning to do but have yet to get a round tuit.

I think the tip about extracting the juice with sugar came from Jocasta Innes.

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:27 am

Rhubarb in yoghurt is good, although it'd take a lot to get through a whole bunch of rhubarb that way...

Postby Suelle » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:03 am

I can't get excited about the idea of chocolate and rhubarb together.

I don't like the classic combination of rhubarb and strawberries either.

I 'roast' rhubarb - although with the amount of juice produced it's not really roasting - usually with stem ginger and some of the ginger syrup. When I ran out of ginger recently I added a few tablespoons of three-fruit marmalade, which gave a stronger citrus flavour than just adding orange peel and juice.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am

Ma used to make a sort of Rhubarb batter pudding rather in the style of a rather solid Toad in the Hole, roasting chunks of rhubarb in the oven until they begin to soften, pouring on the batter and sprinkling with muscavado sugar and baking in a medium Rayburn oven. It wasn’t light and fluffy ;) but it was sweet, sticky and unctuous, delicious with “Carnation milk” and also good cut into squares, wrapped in ‘butter paper’ and put into a ‘pack up’. :yum

At the other extreme but almost as simple is Raymond Blanc’s Sorbet a la Rhubarbe from his “recipes from Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons”. I’ve made it successfully several times.

... and of course a big favourite here is https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/105 ... stard-cake ... but I always double the amount of custard I use when making it.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:40 am

I love rhubarb and custard cake and your Ma's idea is a good one Suffs. I am thinking of replacing the usual prunes with rhubarb the next time I make a Breton Far - a sort of batter pudding. I might add a touch of crystalised ginger too.

I can't wrap my head/taste buds around rhubarb and chocolate either.

With Pork/porc I have done a really like, depending on which country I happen to be in.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Meganthemog » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:06 pm

My SIL brought me some rhubarb from her allotment last week. I cooked it down with sugar and some chopped up stem ginger in syrup. I have been eating it for breakfast this week with thick Greek yoghurt, home-made muesli and strawberries.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:28 pm

My mum, and Suelle I think, makes this.

https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitro ... monds.html

It doesn’t look particularly special from the recipe but it tastes gorgeous.

Postby Amyw » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 pm

mark111757 wrote:Amyw

From the urban dictionary

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Porc

I’ve never heard of how it was described in your link Mark , but Member 461 clearly meant in the term of pork , so as english is not her first language , was correcting her to help her

Postby MariaK » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 am

Joan,

Thanks for starting the thread and all the other suggestions. Never thought of adding pomegranate molasses to rhubarb. Will have to try that . How much would you add to say 500 grams of rhubarb?

Suffs, I like the idea of your Mother's custard cake but perhaps not for tomorrow - two of Monsieur's colleagues are coming to work with him and staying to lunch.
Suelle has a huge collection - direct rhubarb link
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/search/label/rhubarb

No rhubarb in the Saturday market just down the road so off to the other, covered market and if that fails it'll have to be Picard which is open on a Sunday .

Will report back

Postby Amyw » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:43 am

Back to original post, I was looking through a couple of menu options last night at local restaurants and saw a rhubarb sundae, with clotted cream and crushed ginger biscuits, with the poached rhubarb. Almost licked the screen :yum

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Mr Strictly and I love rhubarb in most forms. I did once make a rhubarb sauce to go with mackerel but we weren't all keen on it served that way. It is rather nice either in or with a gingerbread type of cake, but we also love it with strawberries, or orange. As we are not keen on ginger, I sometimes add either cinnamon or ground mixed spice to a compote or crumble.

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:04 pm

I made a lovely crumble last weekend with some ginger mixed in with the rhubarb. Inspired by a donut I’d had earlier that week, I also added some chopped pistachios on the top.

I made a rhubarb and custard baked cheesecake a few years ago. It worked well but can’t remember what I did :roll:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox