Register

On the telly

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

On the telly

Postby mark111757 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:01 pm

Fingers crossed, here we go.....

The king of stylee is back for another go around

IMG_20190331_144518_146.JPG
IMG_20190331_144518_146.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 7537 times

Another blurb

IMG_20190331_144700_503.JPG
IMG_20190331_144700_503.JPG (18.93 KiB) Viewed 7537 times

From sunday magazine
Time !listed is UK time .
No doubt it will show up on the download circuit. Or fire up your VPN. Tech is great stuff

Re: On the telly

Postby Renee » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks Mark! I always enjoy watching Jamie's cooking programmes which seem to get through to young people and so encourage them to be more adventurous with their cooking!

Postby mark111757 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm

I am tired of the politics. Organic this and sustainable that. To me it is a turn off and tune out. It wasn't that bad in the naked chef series. But that was 20 years and countless hair styles ago.

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:54 am

I really don’t think that organic and/or sustainably produced food is less relevant than it was twenty years ago :?

As for changing hairstyles ... it’s a foolish man who tries to keep the same one for too long ... although there are a few who come to mind :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am

Suffs wrote:I really don’t think that organic and/or sustainably produced food is less relevant than it was twenty years ago :?

As for changing hairstyles ... it’s a foolish man who tries to keep the same one for too long ... although there are a few who come to mind :lol:

Neither do I Suffs, especially the sustainable. I would have to add seasonal and local to that too.

As for men's hairstyles did you have anyone in mind Suffs ?:lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:29 pm

Joanbunting wrote:
As for men's hairstyles did you have anyone in mind Suffs ?:lol:

Probably the same fool that you’re thinking of Joan ;)

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45 pm

What? Ken Dodd??

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:02 pm

I loved Ken Dodd ... he made me laugh on the evening of he day my marriage ended. Bless him.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:06 pm

I'm glad he amused you on such a difficult day but Ken Dodd is one of those entertainers I never really got.
Same with Jimmy Savile even before we got to know what he was really like.

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Oh no ... JS was always soooo creepy ... as young teenagers in the 60s my friend and I always found something else to do when he was on TOTP .., but Doddy was just so funny ... and his jokes were the sort of odd thing that you thought but didn’t say .. he made a joke from it. Genius :D

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am

Good Morning Mark,

Unfortunately, we are unable to
get the U.K. Channels to watch.

We only get the worldwide BBC
News from The U.K. here.

None, the less, I like Chef
Oliver. He has been doing
alot of wonderful projects with the
School Systems in The U.S.A.
regarding healthier lunch programmes.
I think this is definitely worthwhile
and a grand necessity worldwide.

Have a nice day.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:58 pm

I've always admired Jamie. He was around food from an early age when his father had a pub where meals were prepared and then he went on to work for well known chefs and still gets on well with them all.

"After finishing his education he worked at Antonio Carluccio's Neal Street restaurant as a pastry chef. While serving as a sous-chef at the River Café, he was noticed by Patricia Llewellyn of Optomen; and in 1999 the BBC aired his television show, The Naked Chef. This was followed by a first cook book, which became a No. 1 UK bestseller. His television work included a documentary, Jamie's Kitchen, which gained him an invitation from Prime Minister Tony Blair to visit 10 Downing Street. In June 2003, Oliver became a Member of the Order of the British Empire. In 2005, he opened a campaign, Feed Me Better, to introduce schoolchildren to healthier foods. This was later backed by the government. Soon after came the first branch of a restaurant chain, Jamie's Italian, in Oxford in 2008. His TED Talk won him the 2010 TED Prize."

I've made many of his recipes which work well. He appeals in particular to young people and I know many who have watched his television programmes and then went on to buy his books. These young people are just starting out in an adult life and many of them haven't had much experience of cooking. He is a good influence!

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 pm

The only problem I have with Jamie is the number of ingredients he tends to use, which might well be standard in his kitchen or kitchen garden but the cost adds up if buying them.

All chefs tend to promote free range and organic goods. It makes sense as we are killing our soil and wildlife with multiple chemicals and decimation of hedgerows. It's different in the UK where our largest fields would be but a postage stamp on e.g. the huge US wheat plains. Price is a big issue for many here although from an earlier thread the differential seems much greater in the US than here.

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Interesting.
I find Yotam Ottolenghi the worst for huge numbers of ingredients.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Renée,

Thank you for the mini Bio on
Chef Jamie Oliver.

I am in agreement with
you.

As I stated earlier,
I admire him for his Project
regarding Healthier School
Lunches
in the Usa and I
believe in the U.K. too and
possibly in other countries as
well. There is a definite need for
the Ministries to clean up their
act, and provide wholesome, healthy,
non Gmo, non chemical additive foods to the school children.

He is indispensable ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Member 461, Jamie never got very far "converting" USA schools who weren't impressed by this upstart young foreigner telling them what to do. He fared a bit better with UK schools in theory but it was more politically newsworthy than practically implementable due to budget restraints, lack of onsite cooking facilities and some of his dishes being unpopular with kids so causing increased wastage. Well intentioned yes, though not really successful.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Indeed jeral it would take a lot more than JO to change the simply dreadful offerings in American school canteens - believe me I've seen them when the GCs were in school there. They aren't allowed even plastic knives or forks in case they try to kill each other :roll: and packed lunches, which our kids took because of the bad offerings, were equally restricted because of the schools terror of litigation if they took something to which another child might be allergic.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Jeral & Joan,

I truly had no idea whether Chef Oliver was successful or not.

I simply read a few interviews of his in a few gastronomic magazines.
And truly enjoyed his enthusiasm about his mission.

What a shame and a true pity he had not been successful across the
blue pond.

Joan: Absurdities to say the least !

Have a lovely day.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:24 am

I like Jamie Oliver, but I think he sometimes errs on the " Swedish Chef" side ( Muppets).
" Slap this in ´ere, poke it around a bit, stick it in a pan and drown it in olive oil! Easy peasy!" :shock:

I do believe, however, that he has had a very positive influence on eating in the UK. Keeping things fairly simple, using fresh, easily available ingredients and just adding a Tasty Touch. And he also has a popular appeal - much more than Marco Pierre White - or Hugh whateveris-name - don´t like him at all.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox