Register

What has been your most rewarding gastronomic trips ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What has been your most rewarding gastronomic trips ?

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Perhaps a pair of those kevlar gloves Stokey Sue, in case you are tempted unwisely to open any oysters with your fingers crossed :shock:

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:30 pm

What an unpleasant intolerance ..

We adore raw oysters on the half Shell with a tiny drizzle of lemon.

Had some amazing ones in Venice in January at a food & wine Trade Fair, at the Hotel San Marco we were invited to, and French ones, in January at the
Madrid Capital at Madrid Fusion Trade Fair. These were absolutely incredibly amazing.

I must of eaten at least a dozen without a doubt ..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Badge Mate,

Nicely written background story.

Enjoyed the read.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:53 pm

jeral wrote:Perhaps a pair of those kevlar gloves Stokey Sue, in case you are tempted unwisely to open any oysters with your fingers crossed :shock:
You can get those gloves quite cheaply now, I bought one for a friend as a sort of joke about Japanese mandolines

I might actually get some eventually, as I'm so much more likely to injure myself than most,

Postby Binky » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:58 pm

a shellfish allergy is not to be taken lightly.

My husband had a serious reaction to conch (conch and fries being the common fast-food in The Bahamas). He spent a night in hospital. :vomit

We had both eaten exactly the same, so thought it was bad luck and weren't too concerned.

A few years later he had a similar reaction, but not as dramatic, in Ullapool after eating in a fish restaurant. Again, we weren't suspicious.

The final occasion, when the penny dropped, was in New Zealand 'Home of the Green Lipped Mussel' where we tucked into bowls of mussels in wine. The restaurant was heaving, all eating mussels, but he became very sick within 30 minutes and spent the next two days in bed at the hotel. He now avoids anything to so with shellfish, or fish sauces that he doesn't trust (Blue Dragon is fine).

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Any allergy is not to be taken lightly.

Speaking as a numerous Epipen carrier - not fun at all...…………...there is a massive difference between intolerance & allergy.

As I have stated here Many, Many times before...…..if you have an anaphylactic attack you definitely know about it, & your body will never - ever - allow - you - to - forget it...………..!

And you will never, ever, confuse it with just an intolerance...…!!!!!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:06 am

Back to topic.

Why don´t those who wish to discuss allergies, intolerances or food poisoning
start a new thread on these themes ? Has anyone ever been to an Allergist or a Doctor
to confirm, which of the ailments they are truly suffering ?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Back to topic ..

Another rewarding gastronomic trip recently taken this year, has been to Venice, our favorite city
in Italy where we travel to several times a year ..

We totally enjoyed sipping Bellinis at Harry´s Bar and having Espresso in San Marco and wandering
along the Canals, and taking photographs, a passion of our´s ..
During the Winter, two weeks just before Carnival,
in late January 2019, we savored a wide variety of Cicharri (Tapas or Mezze or Appetisers)
at several Bacari (cicharri bars) .. Quite an enchanting adventure exploring the back
narrow lanes of Venice´s enchanting Renaissance buildings and tiny shops off the beaten
paths.

The local ferries, gondoliers and the airport Ferry are always a delight for us as we grew up
on the sea and treasure our moments on the sea ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Binky » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:52 am

I am somewhat puzzled by your comments.

I have checked the forum rules and none are being broken.

Allergies and intolerances are food related and therefore an acceptable part of a food related conversation. And even if something did wander off topic (which this did not) it's always informative and often fun. No need for special threads, but that's just my opinion.

Have a lovely day. 8-)

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:29 pm

My best memory was when I was taken to a Japanese restaurant in Vancouver

Funnily enough our first experience of a Japanese restaurant was in Vancouver. We had a lovely trip to Vancouver island, spent a week following orcas, watched the bears fishing at Knight Inlet on the mainland, had a nice stop at Ucluelet with a visit to Rusty's crab shack. That might have been in Tofino, can't quite remember. Anyway, the more memorable bit was that it was September 2001 and we were there when the WTC was attacked. Consequently our plane home was still in London when we got back to Vancouver, necessitating a 36 hour stopover. There are way worse places than Vancouver in which to be stuck, Scoozi's for breakfast both days and our introduction to Japanese on the one evening.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Binky I am so sorry your OH can't cope with conch - or indeed any shellfish. We lived in the Bahamas for several years and when we have been back we make a beeline for a conch shack, our favourite being Max's on Long Island. Now theres a truly gastronomic trip! He makes a conch salad to die for - if you like that sort of thing :yum
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... hamas.html

You will notice the address - Deadman's Cay. our children were both born there, in the clinic.
Max aka Garry is an old friend and we taught friend with his older brother who was a pupil teacher when we fist arrived . His dad was the headteacher.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 am

I first ate oysters on a beach in Margarita, out of a huge plastic bucket filled with ice. We snaffled about 6 dozen - they were only small!
Then I had a delicious selection back in July last year, when I was in Chicago.
I don´t think I´ve ever been on a specific, " Gastronomic Trip"; rather, I tend to choose restaurants to go to. Cay Tre, Busaba Ethai, Golden Myanmar and Zedels, in 2015.
Then we hopped over to Barcelona and ate at Casa Alfonso, Cerveseria Catalana, Taverna de Bisbe, Cuina de Sta Catalina, Cal Pep and the Passadis de Pep. Tapas and small dishes all the time, and mostly fish, shellfish and vegetables.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am

Karakoolaide,

Yes, Barcelona is an enjoyable Metropolis to explore gastronomically.

Tapas are always fun eating !

We have been to all of the bars & restaurants you have mentioned and truly like Cal Pep ..

Have a lovely weekend. :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:55 pm

The most amazing dishes were:
Casa Alfonso - a plate of sliced, deep-fried artichoke hearts. Extraordinary.
Cal Pep - Xonxos. sort of whitebait, deep-fried then mixed with a fried egg. Wow.
Passadis de Pep - the sea snails. When I saw them on the plate, I thought " no, I can´t do that..." - but I did. Amazing!
Then, curiously enough, I had a lovely snack in the airport, of all places. a Coca, with Jamón Pata Negra and grilled red pepper. Utterly divine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 pm

There’s quite a good deli in Barcelona airport iirc - it’s a trend in European airports, that you get a deli selling local specialities so you don’t have to pack them. But Barcelona was the first place I saw myself

As I remember it the best pizza I’ve ever eaten was in Naples railway station many, many years ago. There used to be a decent family run pizza and pasta place in the old Corfu airport, long gone of course.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Karakoolaide,

Cal Pep:

Years ago there was a tiny transparent fish called Chanquetes or Xangut, from Málaga, which is White Bait.

In Latin: Aphia Minuta and they were prepared crispy fried.

However, unfortunately they are totally endangered so now it is very common to have Boquerines Crispy Fried or
Bacalitos, a tiny fish, with an interior similar to Codfish, also prepared crispy friend.

Have a lovely weekend.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:37 am

Years ago, maybe 20-25, we had some crispy fried fish in a restaurant in El Rocío. They were flatfish, about the size of sprats. There were several of us and a great big plateful which was replenished. They weren't universally popular with a group of English birders (goodness knows what the reaction would be today) but the sprat fans thought all their birthdays had come at once. :yum

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Badger Mate,

Yes, crispy fried tiny whole fish are very popular in El Rocio, The Huelva (Doñana Park) región, Cádiz, Málaga and Granada Coastline,
Costa La Luz ..

However, they are also very popular in Barcelona & Madrid as well .. :yum

Crispy fried Boquerones (fresh anchovies), are a fave tapa especially during the
Summer ..

My dad prepares them when we go visit.

Have a lovely weekend.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox