Register

apache potatoes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: apache potatoes

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Binky, the local shop I mentioned has either or both of Egyptian and Cyprus, sold loose. The Egyptian ones are longer and thinner but both taste nice to me and I doubt I could differentiate by taste.

Supermarkets are unlikely to stock them given they promote buying British/UK. As far as I know, these spuds are deliberately unwashed as "mud is good" during their transport/storage and display life. The Cyprus ones are year round in this shop, i.e. get older/bigger and seemingly some stored (wherever) for sales until the new season crop arrives.

Renée, I've often been disappointed with the taste of Jersey spuds. Dunno if it's unrealistic expectation of taste or something's changed. It's probably time to start looking out for Cornish ones now that Spring has sprung.

Appropos of Spring, fantastic magnolias and forcythia in full bloom.

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:15 pm

If anyone wants unusual varieties, this is a good company https://heritage-potatoes.co.uk/

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 pm

I always look forward to the Pembrook earlies around May - wonderful sweet potato with a distinctive taste - not seen round these 'ere parts - they like to stay in Wales - they knock socks off Jersey Royals & always have.

Albert Bartlett are our fav for mashing/roasting - very reliable.

Postby Renee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:46 am

Pembrokes were my favourite potatoes too, but I had forgotten the name. I used to see them on Rochdale market but not in my present area.

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 am

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:13 am

Cornish and Jersey new potatoes aren’t ready yet ... they’re very seasonal ... won’t be long ... should be plenty around by Easter (weather permitting).

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:17 pm

is a Jersey New Potato the same variety as a Jersey Chat?

We used to buy Chats and they were very small in size, that's what makes me think they are a different variety.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:41 pm

I think (and a quick Google supports) that “chats” are very small or baby potatoes of any varriety

Usually the most expensive Jersey new potatoes are described as “mids” ie medium sized, I’ve seen greengrocers label them as Jersey mids. When grown on past this size they probably aren’t strictly “new” any more

Jersey new potatoes, Jersey Royals have a protected status, they are a distinct variety and if you want to grow them the seed potato is International Kidney

If you mention Jersey Royals, someone always says they aren’t as good as they used to be. To my certain knowledge they haven’t been as good as they used to be for over half a century, and they are still delicious :D

Postby Binky » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:00 pm

isn't it also true that our taste buds change over the years? The potatoes might be the same, but our poor old taste buds aren't.

The other thing is that before the advent of mass agri-chemical farming, all our food was organic (but we didn't know that). I'm by no means ancient, but to me there are lots of things that don't taste as good as back in my childhood and teens -- strawberries, tomatoes and many potatoes for starters.

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:41 pm

I agree, Binky. I remember the days when things like carrots actually tasted of carrot! I do think that the the Dutch have a lot to answer for - appearance and conformity seem to have been put before taste when they have been developing new strains of vegetables.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 pm

I think the reasons Jersey Royals don;t taste of much now is because the farmers used to use the local seaweed as fertiliser. Apparently they are banned from using that now. I would imagine that makes a massive difference to the taste

Postby Renee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 pm

Of course it would do Strictly. There was an article about Jersey potatoes some time ago in Sainsbury's magazine, which assured people that the potatoes were exactly the same as they'd always been, but no mention, of course of the fertilizer. I wonder why it was banned? I used to use similar for my tomato plants.

Postby Suffs » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 am

It says here that the Jersey potato farmers still use seaweed on their fields https://jerseyroyals.co.uk/about-us/

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:30 am

I grow International Kidney, using seaweed meal fertiliser. These are good as new potatoes and for salads

Also, Pentland Javelin, which is a nice new potato but also produces some large spuds for baking.

Main crop is Cara, which is a good all rounder.

I've also grown Charlottes, Belle de Fontenay and Annabelles for new potatoes. Each year I try something new, this season there are some King Edward, Rocket and Pink Gypsy being trialled.

Albert Bartlett are a marketing company rather than a variety.

The 'Lady' variety commonly grown as organic spuds is Lady Balfour iirc. There is also a Lady Christl, which, as I have recently seen in another place, is the variety grown in Pembrokeshire.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:00 am

Badgers, is this your garden, or do you have an allotment?

I bought some Heritage seeds from Fortnums, and they were beautifully old fashioned when grown, as one remembers from ones childhood.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:14 am

We've got an allotment. It's something I've done on and off since 1980 although I tinkered a bit before then. In more recent times I shared a half plot with a friend but acquired my own again about five years ago, getting a couple of half-sized plots next to one another. This is an area of ten poles in old money, roughly 300 square yards or 250 square metres.

We have also got a garden. Mrs B majors in the garden with a bit of help from me, whereas it's the other way around on the plot. I will try those rocket potatoes in a tub in the garden.

Postby Renee » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:21 am

How wonderful BM and I can see that you are a very keen gardener! :clap :clap

I've looked up Albert Bartlett and see that they are now producing a frozen range as well.

https://albertbartlett.co.uk/

Postby Binky » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 am

Your allotment(s) sound wonderful BM.

Very near us, we have two lots of allotments. It's always nice to see the gardeners tending their patches, but they are there day after day. We couldn't manage to do that due to health issues, but even if we could, the time investment would be prohibitive. At home, we have a large garden, but have had a gardener to tend it for the last 5/6 years. Lazybones 'R Us.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Fascinating, all this talk about new potatoes!
It occurred to me to take a look at Peruvian spuds - there are, after all, almost 4,000 identified varieties there. Here´s a link in English:https://www.limaeasy.com/peruvian-food-guide/typical-potatoes

If you scroll down a little way, however, you´ll find a potato called " Papa Peruanita" ( little Peruvian potato) which bears a remarkable resemblance to the Apaches.
Could they be related? :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:53 pm

The Pink Gypsy spuds I'm trying this year are of similar appearance to the Apaches, there's probably some relatedness. Presumably all modern potato varieties still contain a good deal of the genetic material of the original South American forebears, especially as they are propagated asexually.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox