Register

apache potatoes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

apache potatoes

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 am

Oooo these are lovely.
I purchased some simply to go with roast pork.
They reminded me of "old fashioned" potatoes. A mixture of roast, mashed, creamy potatoes, in one. Although I only boiled them in a little salted water.

Such a change from the little, hard squeaky waxy pots.

Not a great night picture, but nevertheless

Re: apache potatoes

Postby Renee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:32 am

I can see it a bit better now Gill, hopefully!

I did try the Apache potatoes once and will certainly watch out for them again if I can remember which supermarket stocks them.

Postby Binky » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:26 pm

I will look out for those. We love spuds of all sorts. Our current favourite is Maribel, sold by ASDA.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:38 pm

I get very confused by spuds, so many varieties are not those I am used to, and quite apart from the variety you don’t know if they’ve been properly harvested and stored

A lot of them seem to have vaguely musical names

I bought some called Jazzy, a salad potato, I thought they had a nice texture, but incredibly tough skins and very little flavour

However garden focus independent review says

The cream coloured skin is very thin and needs no peeling when used for salad potatoes. They do need to be peeled if you want to mash them. The taste is slightly sweet and creamy, very pleasant. Size is below average but ideal for use as a salad potato.

Try again later in the season?

Postby Renee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:55 pm

I've bought those potatoes from Asda because their appearance was better than the other small potatoes. I quite enjoyed them.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:21 pm

I love Apache potatoes, mostly because you can mash them in their skins and they make a lovely tasty mash. Waitrose often have them RTC.

Postby Renee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:41 pm

Ahhh … Waitrose! That's probably where I've seen them. What a shame, I called in there the other day but wasn't looking for potatoes.

Binky, thanks for the Maribel recommendation. Asda is my nearest supermarket.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:26 pm

We get our spuds from Asda, and only treat ourselves to the well known varieties such as Maris Piper at celebration times such as Easter. I have now started making a list of the types we buy, and what qualities they have (starchy, smooth, which ones will mash well and which ones need a bit of help etc). This list has proved quite useful. It's hand-written and I keep it in my magazine recipe folder.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:18 am

Iberian Potatoes:

There are thousands of types of potatoes .. So many names, and yet they could be the same Peruvian
potatoes that arrived in Spain via Pizarro in the 1500´s and each country calls them different names !

One of the best potatoes I have ever eaten, are called Cachuelos, or The Galician Potato.
What I enjoy most about the Galician potato is that they have a very sublime tender interior.
They have been served with Octopus on a Wooden board for centuries.

The other potatoes that are simply extraordinary are from The 7 Canarian Islands:

There are over 20 varieties grown on Tenerife and the other 6 islands called:
Papas Bonitas (pretty potatoes), Negras (black potatoes) and Quineguas, called King Edward Potatoes in English.
They are used to prepare the Papas Aruguadas or the Wrinkled Potatoes with Salsas or Mojos Red (chili pepper ) and
Green Mojo.

The photo resolution is extremely low so it is difficult to distinguish the color, however, the photograph shows a pale blush orange.
tone.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 am

Hi, according to mysupermarket.co.uk, Apache spuds are sold by Sainsbury and Ocado, both in a bag with the brand name "Albert Bartlett". (That's not to say they'll be in all stores or available "near you".)

I received an Ocado delivery tonight, so Apaches will have to go on my "next time" list.

My two favourites are Cyprus (local shop), floury for multi-use, and Charlottes for semi-waxy. A lot of others to me have either no taste or a not nice taste, so I'm keen to try Apaches, and Maribels if I can find any. Ta for recommendations.

Postby Renee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks jeral. Sainsbury's is closer to where I live, so I'll watch out for them there.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am

I'm sure I've seen the Maribels recently.

My local froot n veg shops gets Cyprus in when they are in season. I make specificlly a lemon potato salad with them.

I kept this little cutting years ago, for varieties of potato, and their uses.
A bit basic I suppose.

And yes, I got these from Waitrose.
I do like it when they get Shetland potatoes in too. Nice and nutty.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:32 am

That’s the thing Gill, if your cutting it’s more than a few years old most of those varieties will have been replaced by others

Haven’t seen Wilja or Pentlandite Javelin for ages

Albert Bartlett seem to get the UK sole rights to spud varieties and sell them packaged up across supermarkets - Rooster is the well known one, my parents liked Kestrel, and now there’s Apach

https://albertbartlett.co.uk/

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am

I might see more than you? as we have a natural grocery store a couple of streets away.
That seems to have seasonal varieties in potato sacks, they definitely have the wilja sometimes.

As we don't eat potatoes very often, I'm usually pleasantly surprised at the tastes when I use them.
(except Charlottes)

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Well, that’s another thing, the Farmers Market is all organic and it seems the potato varieties available as organic seed potatoes are different from those available as for large scale conventional farming and you get completely different varieties

I like organic Rajah for roasties Yum

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Rajah is a new one on me.
I'll look out for it. When it's Easter, we'll definitely have roasties, as it's always lamb time for us.

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Booth's sell Wilja potatoes, as do a number of farm shops around west Lancashire. They're locally grown.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Most of our “local” spuds come from Ken, Hertfordshire or Essex

Postby Binky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:11 pm

I once bought a bag of organic potatoes at Waitrose. I only picked them up because they were reduced in price. The taste was absolutely lovely, but I have not seen them again and can't remember the full name...Lady Herbert or something like that.

Years ago we used to buy Egyptian potatoes in Tesco and there's another variety that that has disappeared from the shelves. The skins were paper thin and fell away easily.

In the markets of Peru, you can see about two hundred varieties of potato - all shapes and sizes, and weird colours such as blue or purple. Looks like the rest of the world only wanted the 'whites or reds'....

Postby Renee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm

I used to prefer Cornish potatoes to Jersey, but I can't find them where I live now and Jersey potatoes on Chorley market were £3.50. They haven't even converted to metric yet and there's no way that I would pay £3.50 for a pound. Rufford potatoes are grown here in that area. The soil is very dark and they are usually unwashed. I do see potatoes occasionally which have a pink "eye" and I would think that they are a cross with King Edwards. I didn't recognise the name, but they would be a floury potato.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox