Register

Lovage

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Lovage

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:01 pm

Apart from two bays which are growing in the garden borders along with lemon balm ( managed to eventually keep it in one area after it self seeded everywhere) & mint, everything else is it pots - large terracotta ones - wide enough to get a few different herbs growing with each other - they seem to like each others company & I have a large butlers sink with various herbs in too that's very well established, herbs are really easy to grow & very rewarding.
Basil does very well on the kitchen windowsill.

The only one I have a problem with is coriander - never been successful with that, so given up long ago & buy it.

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 pm

The thing about herbs being spindly is that they need light first and foremost so a "good" window if indoors, e.g. south facing. More or less sunlight if outdoors, once established depending on the herb. Some are hardy once established, some are, or are better treated as, annuals from my experience which is by no means expert.

Postby Uschi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:42 am

I love lovage!
It roots deep and can grow quite tall, so give it a deep pot and nip the middle stem that pushes upwards in the bud. If you have room, plant two! The leaves freeze well.

I use it to flavour soups and stews and when I boil potatoes, I often add some lovage leaves for flavour. Try this when you make potato salad.
We call it "Maggi herb", because it tastes like Maggi sauce.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox