Register

Nettles

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Nettles

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm

There is a two page spread in my newspaper about foraging. I shan't be doing that (too dangerous with fungi or plants near roads/traffic pollution) but there is one plant that I can easily crop and that is the humble nettle. There is even a nice recipe for Nettle Pesto (nettles, cashew nuts, garlic, parmesan cheese and olive oil).

Does anyone here forage, or can advise me what else can be done with nettles?

Re: Nettles

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Whilst passing through Heysham Binky, on the way to the Lake District, I had a glass of nettle beer which was very refreshing.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Are young nettle tops not used like spinach in soups and veg dishes?

The only thing I forage for is ransoms, wild garlic, which might combine well with nettles as I make a spinach and wild garlic soup

Can’t say I’ve ever cooked them, though I have eaten them cooked by others a long time ago. My suspicion is they have to be picked very young and tender

I used to pick mushrooms when I lived in the country as a child, which was quite safe as my dad was an expert. And berries, and cock,Es from the sea shore

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Sue - would you mind posting a recipe for your soup? I grow wild garlic and would love to try it in a soup. TIA

Postby Suffs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:36 pm

I’ve done a fair bit of foraging in my time ... especially when I lived in a more rural spot ... nettle champ is a favorite (Darina Allen’s recipe is good). Young ground elder is another favourite, as is hedge garlic or Jack by the Hedge (Allialaria petiolata) is a great substitute for Ramsons.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:39 pm

I do a lot of foraging and yes nettles are one of the things I pick at this time of year. Two things come immediately to mind nettle soup and nettle pistou which I learnt how to make from a late neighbour. Only the tips of very young nettles are used. if you want a recipe for the pistou just yell.

I also pick puslane and dandelions, land cress and wild roquette for salads at this time of year then wild asparagus. we also have loads of wild dill, and of course all sorts of herbs. Later on in the year there are quinces, wild plums, pears and crab apples. Blackberries and elderberries, sloes mushrooms, several sorts and wild parsley roots. I could go on ..... and on.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Pampy wrote:Sue - would you mind posting a recipe for your soup? I grow wild garlic and would love to try it in a soup. TIA

Here’s wheat I posted elsewhere when I first made it

Recipe
======
125 g chopped onion
200 g cubed potato
nut of butter (see note)
250 g young spinach
32 g ramsons (wild garlic - see note below)
750 ml chicken stock (from a cube wil do)
salt, pepper and nutmeg to season

Sweat onion in butter adding potatoes towards the end (about 10 min total
Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Add spinach and ramsons, simmer 5 min
Blitz with a stick and season
Serve with a tiny swirl of creme fraiche

Note: The colour was fantastic! Definitely more of a light starter than a soup you'd make a meal of and, surprisingly, even nicer cold so next time I'd use oil not butter for this reason. I'd use slightly more ransoms for choice - but not a huge amount - maybe 50 g (I just used what was in the fridge, hence the slightly odd amount)

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:42 pm

I have never foraged nettle however, I have used it as an ingredient in a Pesto ..

Pine nuts
Rocket
Genovese Basil
Nettle ( fresh from Farmer´s Market )
Garlic
Salt
Black freshly ground peppercorns
Baguette Crumbs
Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Reggiano Parmigiani Aged Italian Cheese (parmesan)

Served it as a dip on my terrace a couple of times with assorted breads, Grissini and cracker crisps.

I have read that Nettle has several
Medicinal qualities ..

Have a nice weekend Binky. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Binky » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:34 pm

I wouldn't recognise purslane if I saw it. And I wouldn't have thought about eating a dandelion (do you eat everything, leaves and petals? Raw or cooked?). I expect our ancestors made good use of the free foods available, and we have lost the knack. Pity.

We have a few wild berries around here but I always leave them for the birds and mice. I can go to a supermarket but the animals can't. The deer brazenly eat our daffs and any juicy plant they can get their teeth into. The only wild edible we have left is nettles.

(joan, do you eat your quince with a runcible spoon?

they dined on mince and slices of quince which they ate with a runcible spoon which is from a nonsense poem by Edward Lear for our overseas posters who may not be familiar

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:04 pm

The Turkish / Greek / Cypriot shops sell bunches of purslane, it is used in salads.. Slightly tangy and juicy flesh leaves, but otherwise unexciting in my view

I think dandelions are best very young and / or blanched by putting an upturned pot over them while growing to make a salad leaf - you eat the young leaves. I did try it, no special memory of eating it.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Thanks for the recipe Sue. I'll have a look in the garden tomorrow to see if the garlic's ready.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am

I've never heard the word ramsons before. Absolutely new to me.

We get masses of wild garlic here, and of course on the i o wight whenever we visit in season.
I adore the smell of it.
That's as far as I get on the foraging.

I admire those that know how to do it.
I've grabbed elderflower when out on my bike down the railway tracks. But didn't do anything with it at the time.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Sue,

Nice recipe.

Thank you for posting ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:02 pm

Binky, you eat just the very young dsndelion leaves.don't forget the French name though "Pis en lit" :lol:

Purslane grows everywhere here and we are in an entirely clean , well maybe not entirely clean, environment. They really taste good
https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/purslane.html

Of course I eat my quince with a runcible spoon, doesn't everyone?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:14 pm

Gill next time you roast a chicken just shove a handful of wild garlic leaves in the cavity.
The bird remains moist and has a gentle garlic flavour.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:51 pm

No nettles over here. Must be a European thing. :gonzo :gonzo
The only thing that grows wild over here are culantro ( shandon beni) and tiny cherry tomatoes, known locally as " tomate cagón" because they`re propagated by birds....

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Now Renee, I am going to test you on your pronunciation of Heysham.
(I used to live there)

And I clearly remember the nettle beer place in Heysham village.

Postby Renee » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Right! Here we go …

When I was a child and visited Heysham on Sunday school trips, we pronounced is Haysham, but in later years I discovered it was pronounced Heesham. Have I passed? ;)

It's a lovely area and I enjoyed visiting St. Patrick's chapel and Viking graves hewn into the rock, and the church of St. Peter, with its curious hog back tombstone and beautiful stained glass.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 am

Well done, Renee. I think but I don't know.

Thanks Wordsworth, I shall do that very thing with my roast chicken.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 pm

Full marks Renee. :thumbsup

My late MIL just couldn't get it.. until I explained that HEY rhymes with KEY.

Hope you enjoy the chicken Gill.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox