Register

Flavored Waters, Sparkling & Still ..

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Flavored Waters, Sparkling & Still ..

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Does anyone flavor their wáter with fresh herbs and fresh fruit ?

I am a grand fan of Sparkling water ( Vichy Catalan) and flavor mine:

1) Fresh Ruby Grapefruit squeezed with fresh home grown Provençal lavender
2) Fennel, Rosemary Herb & Cucumber
3) Lemon, Strawberries & Rose Petals

They are absolutely lovely and so simple to prepare.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Flavored Waters, Sparkling & Still ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 pm

I really don’t like the fad for adding lruit, cucumber and herbs to water and all the ready made flavoured waters I have tasted have been pretty unpleasant

Surely the point of water is that it doesn’t taste of anything?

As for restaurants that add lemon slices to water when you have an expensive wine as well, it just kills the wine.

I don’t mind actual water based drinks like tonic, ginger ale, lime cordial or a proper citron pressė, which the ruby grapefruit might resemble but water with “a hint” of something to me tastes unpleasantly tainted.

Member 461, I’m not sure how much of the flavourings you add to your drinks, they might fall into the same category as citron pressė, in which case I might like them. But the fashion for floating slices of things in otherwise plain water is one of those things that currently annoys me, even in the pub the other day the water put out for you to help yourself was full of soggy cucumber

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:07 pm

When I go to the gym, I can help myself to water which has floating cucumber slices which certainly made the water more interesting. They used other slices fruits on different days and I always choose the flavoured waters, rather than the plain.

At home I pour hot water on to lemon balm leaves and then leave to cool. It makes a lovely drink.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 pm

I don't really like flavoured water either but I do add a slice of lime or cucumber to sparkling water - made in our machine - in hot weather. As I have said before I rarely as a matter of principle buy any sort of water. Food miles and plastic!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 pm

I also dislike the synthetic flavour of most bought fruit waters.
At home I often add a sprig of mint to sparkling water.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:11 pm

We only drink Pellegrino now & have done for many years, I wouldn't dream of corrupting it by adding anything to it, it has a taste of its own.

I do sometimes pour boiling water over ginger/lemon or lemon balm like Renee - left to steep & go cold - very refreshing, herbs infused in water just taste medicinal.

Postby Amyw » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:47 pm

No If I want to drink water, I'll drink water, I wouldn't dream of adding all those flavours to it

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Vichy Catalan is my favourite bottled water. It's fantastically minerally and refreshing for it.
We regularly drive past the factory on our yearly visit.
I don't add anything, but usually drink it alongside my afternoon coffee.

(Talking of which, there's an article of the best stops in Spain. As we've got our ferry booked to Bilbao in June, we might just drive to Lekeitio this year).

Otherwise it's 2 litres of tap water for me throughout the day.

I sometimes carbonise it with my sodastream, which I love.
If I squeeze an orange in there, I get homemade Orangina. But I only do that if Tony is dissatisfied with his orange purchases and passes them over to me.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Definitely untainted St Pellegrino or Ty Nant for me.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Gilt The Painter,

Yes, I am quite a fan of Sparkling Waters.

What I like most about Vichy Catalan is that it is in glass bottles verses plastic.

There are numerous brands of Sparkling Waters, and I have tried several from Aragon, Galicia, and almost all of the north of Spain as well as Italy and France.

Vichy Catalan is the preferred Brand here but there are other Spanish sparkling Waters that are amazingly lovely too.

I only flavor my Waters at home however, I like a drizzle of lemon in my sparkling Waters when out ..

Have a lovely weekend. Thank you for the feedback. :wave
Last edited by Alexandria on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:23 pm

W. Wordsworth,

Yes a sprig of mint could be quite refreshing in a sparkling wáter and lovely for one´s palate too.

Thank you for your feedback ..

Have a nice weekend. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Sue,

I do agree about pre - flavored bottled sparkling Waters. I have never bought these.

However, I do enjoy (at home) a drizzle of lemon or a fresh herb sprig in my sparkling Waters at home.

Out, here is Vichy Catalan turf ! and a slice of lemon .. If so desired.

Though I also enjoy San Pellegrino when in Italy or an Italian Restaurant amongst other sparkling Waters from Spain, Itay and France as well.

Thank you for the feedback, and have a nice wkend. :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Renée,

Thank you for your feedback.

Good to see you here !

Yes, that sounds lovely !

I like ginger with lemon and honey and I boil the wáter, let it cool, drop in a couple of ice cubes, and drizzle lemon and a tiny teaspoon of honey .. An infusión but served ice cold.

Have a lovely weekend. :lol: :lol: :wave

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention ginger, but haven't tried it with the addition of lemon and honey. I keep chunks of ginger in the freezer. A quick rinse under the tap to defrost slightly and then it's easy to peel and slice. I never peel the whole root. It's just too much in one go! :thumbsup

I could do with some of your nice weather! It's cold and wet here, so I'm cooking!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Pampy - I agree with you - Ty Nant is gloriously lovely & fresh, but not seen too much at s/mkts, it is Welsh, from a natural unadulterated underground Welsh Spring & very pure.

For the benefit of those on here that insist on acting the schoolmarm,
'Ty' is Welsh for House, and 'Nant' is Welsh for Brook - so given the Welsh grammar, which has similarities to French in structure as a Celtic language, it means House by the Brook.

Hope that helps the Catalan contingent.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Has someone been "acting the schoolmarm" ?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:25 pm

She certainly does - read through the many posts ( intending to educate us poor ignoramus)! :roll: :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I had logged out and was going to close down my laptop but please please lush stop being so critical of people on this board. It's not at all friendly which, to me, is the absolute essence of us foodies
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:39 pm

You are mistaken Joan, I am not, & have never been critical of people or anyone at all on this board as you suggest, in the umpteen years I have posted on this & previously the Beeb board (way before you come on board actually).

It is just this particular member who affronts ( & sometimes goes out of her way to do so) many members, certainly not just me, so please take a realistic view & consider the many posts that I can refer to.

And yes, I agree, it only takes an unfriendly post to upset the applecart - our lovely food board, this has been documented many times by this individual's posts - I hope you can understand the point I am making.

Postby Pampy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Spot on, Lush! Couldn't agree more. I had always enjoyed both the BBC boards and this one but now the ubiquitous and contentious presence of a relatively new (compared to most members) poster has totally spoiled that enjoyment. Such a shame.
And thanks for the info on Ty Nant - I knew it was Welsh, but nothing else. It is hard to get hold of too - a shame as it's a lovely drink.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox