Register

anything marmite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: anything marmite

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 pm

I was distracted yesterday while posting on this thread but I meant to mention one of my favourite nibbles to make at home. Take a square of rolled puff pastry and spread with marmite. Roll one long side into the middle and then do the same with the other side wrap in foil or cling film and chill then unroll and cut the roll into thinnish slices and bake on a baking tray at about 200C until browned.Et Voila - Savoury Palmiers. Unfortunately not always loved by French people!!

You can do a similar thing with classic cheese pastry straws sandwiching 2 pieces with marmite before cooking.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Member 461, Marmite is a yeast extract, a by product of the beer industry. I have an unproven theory that you need to eat it from when you are sitting in your high chair.
When we have tried serving it on tiny pieces of toast to our many French friends, most of them find it quite terrifying. However, it is one of the most divine things to eat. Real comfort food. (At least for our family.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm

I wonder if millennials are less likely to eat Marmite than us baby boomers?

We were given Marmite soldiers almost as soon as weaned, they even supplied it through child welfare clinics as a source of B vitamins. But it’s now considered far too salty for tots.

Postby cherrytree » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 pm

My four children must be very irresponsible parents then! All my 9 grandchildren have eaten Marmite soldiers ( admittedly spread very thinly) since they were very small . They have very little salt otherwise, but they all enjoy strong flavours.

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 am

That's good then cherrytree!

I can remember having Marmite and lettuce sandwiches when I was a child, probably in the 1940s, but that was only occasionally.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks for the palmiers tip, Joan.
I usually use a herb filling or pesto.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Marmite..... :yum :yum

All the above suggestions plus Sunflower's marmite chicken - more :yum

And yes - I can spoon it straight out of the jar & into my mouth! No problem at all...……..!

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Me too lush, but only half a teaspoon! :oops:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:33 am

I can lick the knife, so that makes me a true lightweight.

Sunflower's marmite chicken is legendary.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Just plonked this here because it looks marmitey, haven't read it yet...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/shortc ... ead-combos

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:21 am

Those spread combos look, er, interesting although I can't say I fancy any of them TBH.

Not really on topic of Marmite, but I happened upon a deli shop today at closing time which had a double-fronted window space filled with jams. I could possibly have listed a dozen - before seeing the multitude on offer that is.

The maker's label is Wilkins and Sons; their website lists a whopping 47 jams, plus jellies, honeys and marmalades. Jams mostly £2.49-£2.99 for 340g jar.

https://www.tiptree.com/index.php/produ ... -jams.html

I did/do particularly fancy a jar of mulberry jelly. Trust me to want one that's £6.99, doh!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 am

An American student at the art school puts honey on her cheese.
It does work.
Although I'm not really a love of all things honey, so I wouldn't give it 5/5.

The nicest jam I've eaten in a long time was greengage.
So I'm waiting for greengage season to make some - whenever that is.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am

Love Wilkins of Tiptree jam

Tiptree is the Essex village in which they are fortuitously based, not a fanciful brand name:D

I particularly recommend the Seedless Raspberry, the Little Scarlet Strawberry is pretty good considering I’m not fond of strawberry jam

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 am

A drizzle of Honey paired with fresh goat cheese is lovely.

Jams & Mermelades: The Brand we use ( infrequently ) is: El Vieja Fabrica - Sevilla.

I like their Forest Fruits ( Frutas de Bosque) and the rasberry (framboises).

Their Bitter Orange Mermalade is also wonderful.

There is a Provençal Brand I buy too at El Corte Ingles, however, I cannot think
of the Brand name at the moment.

Perhaps, Joan would know it. The jars are shaped vertical tall, as in longitude verses in width.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:52 am

Sue it is quite common to offer honey with a cheese board here. It is lovely with a soft goat cheese - the alternative is quince paste. Sheep cheese usually goes with cherry conserve and cows' with fig.

There is a Michelin starred restaurant up the road where they not only offer honey but it comes still in the frame and the waiter scoops it out with a spoon and puts it in a little dish. The pastry chef apparently keeps bees :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 pm

It was Gill who mentioned honey with cheese not me

I am not a fan the honey with goat’s cheese thing, fashionable as it is now, but like Gill I’m not massively keen on honey, fine on bread and butter or with Greek yogurt but not keen anywhere else.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Apologies to you and Gill Sue. I am not sure if it is a modern thing at all in these parts. Our next-door neighbour , the one who grows saffron, has a brother who makes goats' cheeses and also keeps bees. They tell me it was one of the desserts of their childhood especially in the winter when there was little or no fruit.

Member 461 I can't remember the last time I bought jam. marmalade.or any other preserves. I have a cellar shelf full of home made. There are lots of local brands because this area in the centre for fruit preserving.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 pm

I know the Wilkins & Tiptree brand image well, as I painted a painting - which was one of my best sellers as a limited print also ;)
It paid my studio rent for a year - ha!

Talking of fresh honey, we have two bee keeper art students. But it takes me ages to go through their honeys, although I'm showing willing by buying it.
I use it in salad dressings only here.
One of the keepers produces better honey than the other, however, it's a little awkward just to buy hers.

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 pm

I have a bell ringing of cheese, halved walnuts and honey, probably Brie or Camembert(?) as goats' cheese wasn't around at the time.

Honey, as is, is far too sweet for me (though I do use it as a glaze for veg or salmon), although agave syrup is off the scale to me. (There is a taste-test scale, which I read a while ago, which put artificial sweeteners much higher than any natural sugars/honey incidentally.)

Member 461, I've had an El Vieja Fabrica marmalade in the cupboard (via Ocado) for ages which is very good to me when the rare blue moon urge for marmalade grabs me.

Gillthepainter: Well done on picture sales :thumbsup Apols for straying from Marmite thread title. My best offer of a contribution is that it does last a long while (remains stable and unmouldy), so that must get it a brownie point or two :)

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 am

Please tell me this is going to be an April Fool's joke...https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-homepage

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox