Register

Preference: Cookbook Recipes verses Online Recipes ?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Preference: Cookbook Recipes verses Online Recipes ?

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 am

Curious Question ..

Which do you prefer when looking for new ideas or measurements or a how to ?

I truly prefer cookbooks verses online recipes.

Have a nice day ahead.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Preference: Cookbook Recipes verses Online Recipes ?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 am

Hi Member 461.
I do like a tried and tested recipe. Which means either book, or online.

The ones that grab my attention used to be weekly newspaper ones. Diana Henry in particular would publish great recipes to try.

My least favourite, are untried.
I'll probably not give it a go, if it seems off, or is offered up without it being cooked by themselves.

Waitrose recipes are reliable. And sometimes absolute gems.
But I do have about 200 books still.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am

Gil The Painter,

Good morning.

Yes, I do agree with you regarding tried and true recipes.

The Spanish online Basque Chef Karlos Arguiñano is my favorite and I have all his books, though his T.V. Show is exceptional.

I have a 3rd bedroom ( which we use as a home office and library ). I have approx. 1, 500 books in a built in "entertainment centre" which includes, shelving, t.v., stereo system, and some storage, dvds, etcetra ) ..

The books are all alphabetised by country or region and we have a list in the computer as well as printed.

Makes life alot more organised.

El Corte Ingles Department Store Supermarket publishes from time to time, for seasonal specialties, a catalog of recipes however, I prefer my books overall especially for Spanish Regional.

Have a lovely day. Thank you for the feedback. :wave

I am an avid book reader, so I truly enjoy my cookbooks and gastro eno books ..

Have a lovely day.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lizzie-47 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

I love my cookbooks, but I also have a binder full of recipes either cut from magazines or printed from t'internet. Thinking about it, I probably use recipes from the binder more, so they are more utilitarian, but I love reading the cookbooks for inspiration and pleasure.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:36 pm

I’m with Gill, the important thing is a sensible and well tested recipe

Sometimes if I want to try a recipe from an unfamiliar cuisine I won’t have a book, so I will make for example one of Judy Joo’s Korean recipes from the Food Network site

I used to use Delia recipes clipped out of the Evening Standard in the 70s, and I think some of the things I can make without a recipe are actually Margaret Costa recipes Mum cut out of the Sunday Times in the 70s

These days I find a screen easier to read than a printed page so I signed up to Eat Your Books, which is an online database of cook book indexes that you can search. The problem is that I haven’t got round to registering all my books, must do it. The index is the hard part for me in a print book, I can usually manage a recipe

Perhaps we should start a list of authors who test properly and those who don’t

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm

When I´m looking for new ideas, then it´s the Web. And not just the first page the google drags up; that can often be misleading, and "engineered" so the sites with the most power get to be on the first page. I look at the 3rd, 4th and 10th pages as well.
I´ve got loads of cookbooks, BUT very few published within the past 5-10 years. Economic crisis, dontcha know. I did get hold of a couple of really good books in Mexico last year, however.
As for whether to follow a recipe exactly; the first time , I usually do:

Just remember—it’s always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you’re on your own.”
― James Beard

I also have 5 (school) notebooks , full of recipes, plus God knows how many binders of newspaper cuttings, scrawled recipes from The Food Network, bits and pieces from magazines - even a recipe ( for Gulab Jamun!) on a serviette.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Karakoolaide, Sue & Lizzie,

Thank you for all your feedback .. :thumbsup

Yes, I too have gastro eno magazines in a magazine rack, that I buy or subscribe to, on a monthly basis, & recipes scribbled on napkins from restaurants and / or bars (tabernas) that
we go to ..

Also my grandmothers, my Mom, my Mom in law, my 2 daughter in laws ( one owns and operates a Creperie Bistro ) and my
dear´s Grandmothers too ..

These are in an antique Trunk from Morocco ..

I am in total agreement about the quality of recipes and that they must function like clockwork.

Online recipes by unknowns tend to be dysfunctional (measurements off or the ingredients are in poor selection and do not have an appealing taste)
so, unless highly recommended by some one that has prepared the dish and I trust their culinary skills, I just skim or browse but prefer my
cookbooks &
also family recipes especially for Spanish Regional.

Have a lovely day. :wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm

I use both cookbooks and online recipes. The two websites I use the most are these:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/
https://www.tasteofhome.com/

The former is a great database, but it's worth reading the comments on the older recipes. Some of the recipes (not just desserts) can be very sweet though. The successful recipes that I have tried have been brilliant though.

The latter is a bit more hit and miss, mainly because it is an American site. I tend to use this for ideas only, but have cooked a few things from this one that I or we have really enjoyed.

When it comes to cookbooks, if I see a similar recipe in a magazine or online, I will write notes on the page of my relevant cookbooks as something worth trying.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Strictly Salsa Clare,

Thank you for all your feedback and the links.

I shall take a peek !

Yes, I slip a note into my books with a comment or two ..

Perhaps I lowered sugar or salt, and / or changed from a dry spice to a fresh one.

Have a wonderful weekend just ahead.

Best regards. :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 am

Online recipes by unknowns tend to be dysfunctional (measurements off or the ingredients are in poor selection and do not have an appealing taste)

I disagree. Not always, Member 461; sometimes I find the most spectacular recipes, written by nobody in particular, which are simply perfect. Other times, I try recipes by famous chefs, or food writers, or magazines - which are simply awful.

Back in 2005, I decided to prepare the DEFINITIVE recipe for sweet and sour gherkins. I selected 7 different recipes from the web. The first recipe lacked liquid to pickle the gherkins. The second had vanilla extract ( :shock: :crying2 :crying2 ). The third, looked good, but the gherkins came out all wrinkled; plus there was too much spice. ( cinnamon??? allspice???). The fourth, far too much vinegar, the recipe unclear, and the gherkins ended up with more wrinkles than my great aunt Sarah. I fiddled around after that and came up with MY perfect recipe.

When all is said and done, it comes to the crunch. How much acidity, sweetness, salt and spice do YOU like?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Karakoolaide,

Thank you for all your feedback and your "anecdote" .. A truly enjoyable read. :thumbsup

Yes, I have tried recipes on a Food Forum in English, from a Chef in Belgium, and his recipes are simply amazing. :clap :clap

So, not all recipes on line are awful ! One needs to decipher ..

Then, I have found chef recipes in food magazines, and some were wonderful and some quite a nightmare ..
The ingredients can be a turn on or a turn off !

And the same for some cookbooks too ! Can be amazing or horrorific.

Being a native Mediterranean (Catalan, Spaniard) I do not fancy odd combinations or overly spicy cuisine. I am open and flexible eating out but
at home we both prefer classic Spanish regional, classic French Provençal and of course classic Italian.

Have a lovely weekend. :crossed

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox