Register

Kalamansi Juice

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Kalamansi Juice

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:22 am

I've recently discovered Kalamansi juice and used it for the first time tonight in a Filipino chicken dish. When I opened the bottle, the smell immediately reminded me of something from my childhood - but try as I might, I can't think of what it is!
Has anyone else used it - and did it remind you of anything?

Re: Kalamansi Juice

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 am

I’ve not tried it, but botanically it’s a citrus so presumably it’s like one/some of them? Is it sweeter like oranges or more like lemons and limes .... or does it have the intensity of bergamot ... I’m intrigued :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm

I see Waitrose sell the juice but I haven’t tried it. Calamondin are sometimes grown as little ornamental orange trees in conservatories and green houses so I’ve seen them but never tasted them

Long shot, but reading the description does it smell like Aqua Manda? I and most of my friends smelled of that for a while in our early teens

I rather gave up on buying exotic citrus juices having invested a lot of cash in a bottle of Yuzu to find that to me it just tasted of generic bottled pasteurised citrus juice, might as well have got one of those little plastic lemons

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm

I have used it in the past - bought from Wing Yip - but I can't remember its smell. It's good with soy in a dip or marinade tho' - adds a nice puckeriness - & makes a lovely granita in the summer!

It's really annoying when you can't put you finger on a certain memory isn't it? - it's like knowing a word but can't spit it out! It'll probably come to you around 3am when you can't sleep...... :D

Postby Suffs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:13 pm

I smelt like Aqua Manda back then too Sue ... wish it was still available ...I think ...

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Our local radio host asked what our first perfume was , so I explained Aqua Manda to him and added that it was worn by “trainee dolly birds” in 1968. He laughed when he read that out.

Did you know that the reason Christopher Goya who designed it could come up with a decent perfume at pocket money prices was that he used oil instead of alcohol as the carrier, so it was exempt from the highest rate of duty? A very cunning plan :D

Though it did stain the neck of my frilly blouse

Postby Pampy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks all. I know what the juice is made from but it doesn't smell like straightforward citrus juice. Lush - yes, I probably will remember it in one of my insomniac times! I bought it from Ocado out of curiosity but it was expensive - £3.95 for 60ml and I used it all in the dish that I made. I've since found that you can buy it dried on ebay, which I might try.
I used to use Aqua Manda when I was a teenager and loved it. It's still made and I bought some a couple of years ago but it's definitely not the same.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 am

I also wore Aqua Manda.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm

I've never tried (or even seen) Kalamansi Juice on its own, but I did try the Filipino Toyomansi Soy (with Kalamansi), I have to be honest in the end I chucked it away :-(

There was a thread on it on the old board.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox