Register

Mustard oil

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mustard oil

Postby mark111757 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Found this in the current se7en. From saira Hamilton recipe for aloo Bortha

IMG_20190309_154337_237.JPG
IMG_20190309_154337_237.JPG (58.89 KiB) Viewed 5576 times

Re: Mustard oil

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:13 am

To be honest I doubt that will make much difference

You can buy mustard oil easily enough in the UK, it’s labelled “for external use only” but widely used in cooking

I’ve tried it, to me there’s a noticeable difference in the smell when you are cooking but very little in the flavour of most foods, it’s not in fact very mustardy

Mustard is closely related to oilseed rape (colza), not that much different

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:20 am

(You beat me to it Sue, but I can't be bother to edit it...)

I love mustard oil, an important ingredient in my favourite Tikka recipe, and it "indianises" salads together with a sprinkling of chat masala, however it is rather offputting that to sell it here they have to mark it "for external use only". The article below seems to suggest it is is OK for adults in the weeny proportions you'd use for recipes.

However "blended" oils miss the mark for me. One example you get in supermarkets is "blended sesame oil", which is only 50% sesame. Spend a little more and get proper sesame oil.

On the blended front, in Tesco at the moment they have a special deal on what pretends to be "Clarks original maple syrup", but is in fact blended with carob. It's absolutely no substitute for real maple syrup. I bought some once thinking it was proper maple syrup. It's not. Be warned...

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/161109

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:58 am

Yes, I was intrigued enough to buy some, and ended up using it on my hair for some shine.
I've gone back to having indestructible ghee in my fridge for those Indian cooking moments. That lasts in there for ever.

Thanks for the authenticity warning with other items, Sakks.

Postby mark111757 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:34 pm

For what it is worth, the afforementioned recipe calls for 2 tsp of the oil.

Maybe worth a try

Found on Amazon, 5L jug of it for $38.99

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:39 am

I buy pure mustard oil from ishopindian.com in the States. It´s marked " for external use only", but I completely ignore that, in the knowledge that millions of Indian residents use it to cook every single day.
It´s wonderful stuff. Try stir-frying some spinach, or spring greens in the oil, with plenty of garlic and fresh green chiles.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:00 pm

I've used it in the UK but never set eyes on it here - like many "exotic" ingredients, including Thai basil!! Indeed I couldn't find mustard seeds for ages when I wanted to make pickle.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:12 pm

I can't say I'd want to pay nearly $40 for 5L for the sake of two teasponsful.

karadekoolaid and Sakkarin - as you are familiar with mustard oil, could you suggest a substitute?

Wondering if infusing toasted mustard seeds might do if only a tiny spot is needed?

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 am

There is no substitute, Jeral. Just like there`s no substitute for anchovies, or sesame seed oil.
Get in touch with www.redrickshaw.com - they´ve got mustard oil as cheap as 1.99.

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 am

jeral wrote:
Wondering if infusing toasted mustard seeds might do if only a tiny spot is needed?

The original post by Mark shows a way to make a substitute - whether or not it's any good, I don't know.

Postby Renee » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:43 pm

I would think that it would work well Pampy.

This looks an interesting read about erucic acid, which is also in rapeseed oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erucic_acid

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:54 am

Interesting read, yes, Renee.

I tend to want to believe the healthy benefits - but want to disbelieve the dangers.
If something is particularly detrimental to the heart, I'll avoid them however.
Although cholesterol claims I'll ignore - as it's not a problem area for me.

Heart issues are sadly in the family.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Erucic acid has only been shown to cause fatty infiltration of heart tissue in rats

The amount of it consumed by anyone who only uses imustard oil occasionally would probably be irrelevant

I don’t bother, tried it, was unimpressed, don’t need to keep yet another bottle in the cupboard; my one off experience was that it went off quite rapidly once opened

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm

I agree with KK, there's not really a substitute, but the recipes that I do that use them would work fine with any oil, you just don't get the full authentic effect the recipe intended (which for me with some ingredients makes all the difference).

The same would apply to black salt - an indian-style salad which included sulphurous black salt and mustard oil in the dressing could be made with olive oil/ordinary salt, but would miss that essential kick.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox