Register

vegan and veggie packed lunch or grab and go items

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

vegan and veggie packed lunch or grab and go items

Postby DEB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Following on from the restaurant I have been to.
On the vegan front I make

a pasty using bread dough and a vegan samosa filling

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vegan-pie

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/560 ... el-burgers

What do other ideas do people have? :?: :newhuggy

Re: vegan and veggie packed lunch or grab and go items

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

For packed lunch, I tend to pack things in little pots to be assembled at point of eating since most veggie stuff is salady and makes sandwiches soggy otherwise.

So all the usual picnic food suspects, like toms, coleslaw or salsa, jarred pickled beetroot or mushrooms; potato or brown rice salad; spreads like veggie/vegan mushroom or cheese/spinach paté, humous plain or red pepper, tapenade; cheese or vegan cheese (some are decidedly better than others to me).

Plain Greek or vegan yoghurt with muesli cereal and dried or fresh fruits stirred in the night before.

If a microwave is available, then home made soups with bread rolls or crackers. Warmed pita pocket or tortilla wrap with pre-made pan-fried chickpea, blackbean or Med veg concoctions.

Grab and go is usually fruit (bananas are filling) or apple. Nuts (e.g. Brazils or peanuts and raisins), crisps or maize snacks (check ingredients), cereal bars or flapjacks. Cake slices or doughnuts if vegan, or home made mini apple pies.

My veggie food tends to be ordinary, i.e. meat & two veg without the meat, so not very inspiring, whereas my full-time vegan friends are into all sorts of seeds and who knows what.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 pm

The only vegan sandwich filling known to catering is that grated carrot + hummus mix. Which is nice if not too often.

Broadly vegetarian is quite straightforward as so many sandwiches, wraps and quiches involve veg with egg and or cheese, though again easy to get repetitive

But I struggle a bit with vegan, apart from grain and pulse based salads, though PPK have some good suggestions, including avocado

https://www.theppk.com/?s=Sandwich

Postby smitch » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 am

I rather like the Greggs sausage roll :oops: Wouldn’t want one every day but every now and again it really hits the spot when I want some beige stodge.

We often have vegan buffets at work events due to my colleague’s dietary requirements- most of the catering comes out of her budget and she is vegan. Last time, we had ‘cheese’ sandwiches, hummus with falafel, avocado with salad, and several varieties of the above. Plus spring rolls, samosas, olives, falafel, tubs of hummus, vine leaves etc. Was really good considering it was from omni caterers.

I often eat vegan but do have some dairy from time to time. I generally struggle with bought sandwiches due to my mustard allergy. A shop near my office does a lovely curried cauliflower pasty and we have a fab falafel shop close by.

If I’m making something at home, I like bulgur what with salad veg and marinated tofu. Salad Samurai has some interesting vegan salads, I don’t make as much from the book as I should.

Eat Real chilli & lemon hummus chips are an office favourite too https://www.eatreal.co.uk/products/

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:41 pm

A lot of soups can be veganised or are naturally vegan . This time of year , I love spicy root veg or pulse based soups . They’re also very filling especially with a hunk of bread alongside .

Dips such as hummus/tzatziki/ baba ghanoush with crudités or some toasted pitta strips.

Most pastry is vegan . Samosas are quite easy to make with a dryish veg curry veg mix inside , or a vegetable roasted tart .

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Sorry but how on esrth can most pastry be vegan?? the only way, as far as I know and stand to be corrected, is by using things like palm oil which are far far worse for the planet than some butter or lard!!

There are always trade offs and palm oil is where I really do draw the line.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Filo is intrinsically vegan as long as you brush with oil not butter, which is my excuse for using it for most veggie cooking

But most domestic pastry is surely made with butter or lard and/or egg. And most commercial pastry is either not vegan or, as Joan says palm oil heavy, you’d have to shop carefully to get sustainable and vegan ( there is such a thing as certified sustainable palm oil, which both the Food Programme and James Wong have supported)

Postby Amyw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Sorry I should have added I meant a lot of shop bought pastry is vegan. I know most of the Just Rol pastry brand is vegan, including their croissant dough and puff pastry, which could be used to make quite a few lunch dishes

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am

There is something similar to Jus Rol available here but when you look at the list of ingredients it includes palm oil.
Best option is, as sue says , filo but that tends to be a bit difficult to transport for a packed lunch.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:28 am

I had no butter the other day, and made some pastry with margarine.
:vomit
A possible Vegan "wrap" could be done with home-made flatbread ( think, chapatti) or with Mexican flour tortillas, stuffed with falafel and a tomato/lettuce/cucumber/tahini salad.
OR you could try your hand at making arepas. Arepas are made with white cornmeal; you can purchase " Harina PAN in many places in the UK now. Simply mix the flour with water, leave it for a few minutes so it absorbs all the water, then form into balls. Flatten the balls and cook on a griddle ( or a heavy frying pan) over medium heat. Turn once.
Stuff the arepa with anything veggie.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox