Register

Chinese New Year Celebrations 2019

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Chinese New Year Celebrations 2019

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:19 pm

On Friday, I'm going into Manchester for the Chinese New Year celebrations. It is many years since I have been and the celebrations have improved since I last went. It will be a fun day!

Is anything happening near to where you live?

https://inews.co.uk/news/entertainment/ ... uk-london/

Re: Chinese New Year Celebrations 2019

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Only in my kitchen Renee! I used to love going to Chna Town in Newcastle when we lived there. Because I was writing for the regional paper I was often invited by individual restaurants to celebrate and we enjoyed some really fun evenings.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 pm

I just looked, the London celebrations are next Sunday

I haven't been for a while, as the crowds got silly but I think it is better managed now, I liked seeing the lions jump for lettuces

I am very disappointed, last year Iceland had lovely frozen dim sum at a very good price, but they haven't got them this year, despite having a Chinese new Year promotion, they just have the usual awful frozen versions of takeaway food. I did buy some spring rolls, as they seem to be full size and not the silly little canapé sizzed things that are all wrapper and no beansprout

However going to Bang Bang oriental food court and the adjacent Chinese supermarket on Saturday so will celebrate then

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Gong Hey Fat Choy...…………….Everyone..!!

That never looks right to me somehow.

Anyway, tomorrow ( NY's eve) - the day before is when most chinesers have a big resto meal, more than on the actual day, & we used to go to a particular resto which was always brilliant, but like everything it seems to have gone downhill - too crowded - food not up to usual scratch, the kitchen obviously can't cope with the pressure etc. etc. so we don't go now & much prefer to stay in & do our own thing on chinese NY, which will involve noodles of some sort - probably buckwheat soba, massively in to them at the moment. Am massively in to Korean Pancakes too, so they'll probably figure as well - not forgetting dumplings of every description...…………..hmmmm…..think I might have to a cheat's version somewhere...………... 8-)

Postby Alexandria » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Renée,

Have a lovely time ..

The last time we had Chinese Cuisine was in Hong Kong and it was totally extraordinary.

I believe there are celebrations in Barcelona and of course Madrid however, we have never celebrated ..

Enjoy,

All our best wishes.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:40 pm

There are some really wonderful restaurants in Hong Kong Member 461, but we were only there for three days in between three weeks in Taipei for a wedding and six nights in Vietnam.

Lush, thanks for the mention of the buckwheat soba noodles. I have seen these in Sainsbury's so will buy some on my next visit.

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 am

I made some beansprout soup (broth really) this evening, mainly because beansprouts don't 'alf go off quickly. A sort of normal one I think with water, tamari, oyster sauce and a couple of chopped tinned anchovies, spot of garlic and red chilli,. (Plus abnormally adding small broc florets and carrot matchsticks.)

It seems that in Korea, radish (the hot sort) and lots of chilli heat is added to beansprout soup which make it a common hangover cure at breakfast time.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 am

We'll be celebrating at home. It will either be rump steak or pork with noodles and stir fried veg. I'll be stir frying the meat as well of course!

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am

Beansprout soup sounds quite interesting jeral! Do you put the beansprouts in at the last minute so that they stay crispy?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 am

Gong Hey Fat Choy...…………….Everyone..!!

I'mpressive.

The last time I had chinese food, I'd "sold" a painting to a restaurant owner, in exchange for 5 restaurant meals.
Unfortunately, Tony doesn't eat chinese, MSG and other sauces give him a lot of trouble.
So it was a struggle to go. We went twice - beautiful place, birthday and anniversary meal. Bottle of fizz.
The owner was distressed, as he didn't want to be in debt to me. I wrote it off with him, which was no big deal my end. I just couldn't get Tony to go.

Enjoy those celebrations. Especially you, Renee.
I have a super fresh plum and pork recipe, that is Chinese-esque. I might have a go.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02 pm

I love cooking Chinese food. At college I had a good friend who lived in Hong Kong and their cook had taught her a lot. She and I used to go to the Rendezvous in Richmond and eat in the back room with the Chinese clients. Although she was British she spoke perfect Cantonese and knew exactly what to order.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:08 pm

I used to cook more Chinese than I do now, but last autumn there was a great crop of pak choi and Chinese cabbage on the plot. This started me off again, hopefully I'll carry on now. We were in London last month to see the Harry Potter shows, went round the corner from the theatre for dim sum between performances. :yum

Strange how eating habits change. There must be the best part of fifty thousand souls living in and around Ware & Hertford, yet not one sit down Chinese restaurant remains in either town. Many takeaways, four Thai and two Japanese restaurants, no Chinese. It was all the rage once, now it's a takeaway option only. Odd.

I keep telling myself to go into Chinatown and order the stuff that Mrs B wouldn't. A few years ago we spent my birthday in Cambridge, visited the botanic garden and had lunch at Charlie Chan's (now no more :( ). As a birthday treat I was allowed to eat all the duck tongues myself...

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm

I used to be friends with a couple who ran a very popular, very busy Chinese restaurant. The only time they were closed was Sunday lunchtime so we all used to go to Chinatown in Manchester for a meal. Of course, we went to the places that were frequented by the Chinese community and I tried a host of things that I'd never even heard of, let alone tasted! A couple memorable ones were fish maw and deep fried chicken feet - both far nicer than I thought they'd be.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Joanbunting wrote:She and I used to go to the Rendezvous in Richmond...

I've been there! It would probably have been around 1974 or earlier, so can't give you a review...

I vaguely remember the outside being painted green.

Never been brave enough to try chicken feet.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:24 pm

I do quite a lot of Chinese cooking at home, always have done but refreshed by Fuchsia Dunlop’s Every Grain of Rice and other books - what Kenneth Lo called “topped rice” is a practical supper for one person. Or a noodle dish.

In my last year at uni there were two Singapore Chinese brothers in my hall of residence who were real foodies and we used to send them to the infamous Won Kee for takeaway - knowing what they were talking about and being quite imposing at over 6 feet tall they got the best possible result.

We’ve not had a Chinese restaurant round here for years but now we have LuLu which does dim sum, small plates and cocktails as well as standard dishes

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I've been there! It would probably have been around 1974 or earlier, so can't give you a review...

I vaguely remember the outside being painted green..

I first went to the Rendezvous in 1960 and I honestly can't remeber what colour the facade was!! I jus know it was a totally magic experience for a little bairn from the NE and I was quite willing to try anything offered - except the tea.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:40 pm

jeral wrote:in Korea, radish (the hot sort) and lots of chilli heat is added to beansprout soup which make it a common hangover cure at breakfast time.

I have worked with Koreans in the past & believe me an hangover cure is essential - they party H-A-R-D !!

Anyone here born in the year of the pig...…..?

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Most of my Chinese cooking comes from the original Ken Hom BBC book, the sequel vegetable & pasta book, plus odd dips into Ching He Huang's first one and Fuchsia Dunlop's Sichuan Cookery. I've thought abut getting EGOR, based on enthusiastic recommendations from you lot but haven't got a round tuit. It was a conversation I was intending to have in a few day's time...

Chicken feet are alright, they generally taste of the sauce they're cooked in. There's more to chew on with duck feet of course.

I married someone born in the year of the pig, does that count?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:58 pm

I was born in the year of the pig!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:14 pm

I´m a dragon myself!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox