Register

Saturday Morning With James Martin!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Saturday Morning With James Martin!

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm

James is back with a new programme on ITV! He was sadly missed when he departed from the BBC Saturday morning show. This time it isn't filmed live but from his home.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme ... y-morning/

Re: Saturday Morning With James Martin!

Postby Pampy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Renee wrote:He was sadly missed when he departed from the BBC Saturday morning show.

Not by me... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Renee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:18 pm

OK then! :lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:02 pm

James's programme if guest-driven will depend on who the guest is, irrespective of their plugging a new show/record/book probably.

I recall Richard E Grant (actor currently in the news) was a guest on the equivalent erstwhile BBC version. That series was very good. I can't remember who the chef was; one of the calm ones like Nigel Slater or HFW or someone suchlike, plus you did get to see the actual cooking.

That said, I doubt there's a big audience on Saturday mornings - or at any time - for "how-to" confit duck and cook mackerel (per the advertising blurb), so I'm thinking selective watching might be a plan.

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 am

I don't watch television during the day jeral, so will be recording the programme to watch later in the day. I also like to see actual cooking going on.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 am

Morning Renee.
I've grown a bit tired of Sat and Sun cooking shows I'm afraid. If I flick it on, I'm either putting my makeup on, or pottering in the garden, or something else.
And flick it off just as quickly. Especially James. I've never got along with his cooking and presenting.

Sorry.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Usually far too busy cooking on Saturaday and Sunday to watch TV unless there is an important football match on!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 pm

I hadn't watched Saturday Kitchen for a long time either Gill. I used to find the guest chefs very interesting.
I'll record it next week to watch later and then see how it goes!

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:29 pm

It has been on for quite a few months now Renee....I don’t really watch it but have caught bits of it if I’m in the kitchen cooking. He gets some good chefs on and the celebrity guests are sometimes interesting. Oz Clarke does a wine tasting. I’m not a huge JM fan, I can watch him for a short time.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I don't have a tv in the kitchen, or the bedroom come to that so I never catch anything unless fore warned in order to record it. I'm a radio or music sort of cook1 I can't even get a broadband or mobile signal in the kitchen but we have a cunning arrangement for the BBC radio and I havea CD player there too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes, well, always radio 4 in my kitchen, unless it’s a repeat or politics. Or, as last Saturday, the 6 Nations is on tv.....then it’s a good excuse to have the tv on while baking. It’s great to knead dough to!

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 pm

When we moved in to this house (nearly 20 years ago :shock: ) there were TV aerial sockets in pretty much every room. They were promptly removed, there's one in the living room and even that's no longer in use (we've got Freesat for our only telly) . I've got a DAB radio in the kitchen, usually it's on radio 4, sometimes 5, occasionally the extra versions. I might have mentioned that it sometimes mysteriously retunes to Radio 2 when I go out, although for some reason this phenomenon hasn't recurred since Mrs B stopped doing the ironing in the kitchen.

I used to have an internet radio there that would stream music too but it went a bit odd, maybe the moisture affected it.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:04 pm

I don't mind James Martin as a person. However, I do dry heave whenever he does his gloopy cheffy mash. I know he's not the only one who makes it this way but we Strictlies much prefer what I call 'wartime mash' that keeps it's shape once it's on the plate or on top of fish pie or whatever! I also cringe at the amount of sugar he puts in some of his desserts - far to much for our liking. I think he's got a British Adventures series starting on ITV soon, I may record one of the episodes to see what it's like.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:07 pm

I rather like looking at him.

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:32 pm

Me too WWordsworth!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 am

I’ve nothing against JM apart from his bizarre conviction that confit de canard should be finished with honey (yuk but treble yuk as I generally don’t like honey in savoury things)

I am in a dead spot for signals, trapped in a man made valley between a high rise Victorian school, an actual hill, and a block of flats. I use cable for all signals, I have a tv in the living room and another in the bedroom but that’s mainly used for radio. I don’t actually listen to radio 4 that much as I’m not keen on radio drama, especially the Archers :D. I can’t really listen to serious speech radio or audio books when doing anything more demanding than simple ironing, any more than I can read a book while doing something else. I think that’s quite a scientist thing - concentration in short, but intense bursts. I do listen to a lot of podcasts, R4 and other

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox