Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Renee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Member 461, I spent quite some time looking at the pictures of that beautiful area and would have loved to visit those very ancient villages. I will look up LA RUTA ROMANICO later.

Gill I will look up that Waitrose recipe. It sounds most delicious!

Joan, I remember that dessert with the ginger biscuits dipped in ginger wine. I made it many years ago. It's really tasty and easy to make.

Leftover chicken casserole for me today and then I'm going to marinate chicken thigh portions and will make Chicken Marbella tomorrow. A friend is coming over for the day.

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 pm

Renée,

Yes this is truly an amazingly extraordinary region. The cuisine is forest, rural, river, lakes and mountain fare .. We had some lovely cardoon soup, and for the main course, some beautiful wild river sturgeon.

We are spending the evening here so we can spend the morning skiing !

Then, we shall head home to Barcelona. Our sons & daughter in laws shall spend Sunday night with us in Barcelona and head home to Cadaquès early Monday morning.

Thank you for all your feedback.

Have a lovely evening.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Renee.
This is the current Waitrose recipe: https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/r ... rpone.html

Which I didn't follow.
I just made my own tomato sauce and baked the meatballs.

All the talk of chicken, we had chicken with a mustard and mascarpone sauce last night.
Ooooo, I'm in danger of getting it too often, it's lovelier than a splosh of cream added.

Postby Renee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks for the recipe Gill. The addition of mascarpone is an excellent idea.

My fave chicken recipe is roast chicken with a mix of butter, crushed garlic and tarragon under the skin and over the top, but today I'm making Chicken Marbella because a friend is coming for lunch. The chicken thighs with skin on are sitting marinating in the fridge in a mix of olive oil, sherry vinegar, oregano, bay leaves and garlic.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 am

Very nice, Renee.
Have a super lunch together. I keep buying sherry vinegar. I think I've run out at the shops. And when I get back, I have it in the cupboard already.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:33 pm

The six of us had a long leisurely lunch ( after a full morning of skiing ) in which the gentlemen had fresh boar prepared with red wine, garlic, semolets ( a native onion variety ), dark chocolate, carrots, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, and Clitopilus Prunulus, a native wild Lleida, Cataluna mushroom called Mojardans ..

Of course we tasted the slowly roasted boar which was absolutely melt in one´s mouth superbly splendid.

However, the 3 ladies ( including myself ) opted for the daily catch, the freshly caught trout served very simply with leek, garlic, red tomato, and Ceps ( a wild Catalan Mushroom ) grilled to perfection with a variety of local fresh herbs and a tiny drizzle of Evoo from Lleida ..

Simply truly lovely mains .. We shared a slate board of regional appetisers ..

The local wines of Lleida are quite lovely and often overlooked ..

Have a pleasant Sunday. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm

Member 461 wrote: the gentlemen had fresh boar prepared with red wine, garlic, semolets ( a native onion variety ), dark chocolate, carrots, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, and Clitopilus Prunulus, a native wild Lleida, Cataluna mushroom called Mojardans .. Of course we tasted the slowly roasted boar which was absolutely melt in one´s mouth superbly splendid. However, the 3 ladies ( including myself ) opted for the daily catch, the freshly caught trout served very simply

And then did the laydeez retire whilst the gentlemen had a port & smoked their cigars.....? :lol:

Thai prawn curry here last night & Fresh tuna steaks tonight with a colourful mixed bean salsa & salad - lovely bright colours to remind us of summer!

Postby miss mouse » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 pm

I really utterly loathe fish. Why anyone eats it willingly is beyond me. I do eat it occasionally to get the batter.

Arrgghh. Fish is vile IMO. Have my fish everyone, as long as you exchange my bit of fish for batter.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

Totally agree with you, Miss Mouse.

But the opposite way round. Loathe batter - you can have mine any day of the week.

Back to cooking!!!

I'm thinking of making a fish dish cooked in coconut milk and herbs, from my Indonesian book.
I may adapt it to an Otak Otak recipe baked in banana leave parcels, and get fresh turmeric.

That's if Tony is hungry, he hasn't been over the weekend.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm

:birthday-dancer Monday 21st ..

Since I frequently work from home on Mondays after I return from the Gym, so, an Italian Carnaroli Risotto with wild local Mushrooms which we bought yesterday in Lleida during our ski weekend & a simple Radicchio & Rocket Salad shall follow.

Back to work !

Have a nice day.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Miss Mouse, you are like DS and one of the guests at yesterday's lunch, I just couldn't live without fish and other seafood. I could fairly easily giv up on things like steaks. Our chef friend is always surprised when we eat at his restaurant and I choose meat instead of fish.

Yesterday we had a lovely lunch cooked by our Danish friend. It was a sort of pot au feu with a lovely broth with frehly cooked vegetables and litttle liver dumplings which were as light as a feather,
The meat came as the second course wuth potatoes and a hot creamy mustard sauce
Dessert was a Baked Alaska or as the French call it a Norwegian Omelette. Only thing wrong was that it was made with chocolate ice cream which is not my favourite.

I'm doing smash avo on linseed bread toast topped with crispy pancetta for lunch and probably will have some apple compote - which I mae with big fat raisins and a splash of Calvados on Saturday because I found a big bag of apples in the cellar which needed to be used up.

Supper will be chicken and cashew nut sti-fry with vegetable and rice noddles
I've got a lovely fresh pineapple which Ill cut into quarters and roast 2 of them with dark rum and honey.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:07 am

[quote="Joanbunting" .. I just couldn't live without fish and other seafood.

Joan,

In agreement 100 % .. :yum

Have a lovely evening ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 am

Well Sunday was bits and pieces; I had an important thesis to review so it was bits and pieces from the fridge.
Saturday, however, was Salad Day. At home in the Sixties, we always had salad for "dinner" on a Saturday. So I made :
1 A classic Caesar Salad
2) An Egg and Potato salad with dill and mustard mayo.
3) A Courgette salad - "carpaccio" style
4) A Radicchio , pineapple and bacon salad
5) A Green Bean salad

As many photos as I can upload here;
Egg, Potato & Dill salad.jpg
Courgette Carpaccio.jpg
Radicchio, bacon & Pineapple salad.jpg

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 am

That! is my kind of cooking, Karadekoolaid.
Salad day. I love it.
As I also love a good photo too.

I've poached some chicken breast yesterday which is in the fridge.
I'd like to make oriental lettuce wraps.
Let's see what Tony fancies when he's back from his swim .............

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 am

Lovely food and photography KK! I will start to think more about salads when the weather warms up a little.

I had leftover Chicken Marbella yesterday with broccoli and green beans.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

Sunday was our 'salad day'! I made a very cheerful blk bean salad with sweetcorn, red onion, spring onion, red & yellow peppers & chilli plus a crunchy mangetout, broadbean & fine green bean salad to keep some lovely fresh tuna steaks company. :yum

Last night was a wintery shepherd's pie & very comforting it was too. No idea what's occurring tonight.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Very good looking salads Clive but if you don't mind I'll save join you under we have some salad weather!

I've got a very large of golden lentil soup for lunch, made from the stock from the chicken, red lentils, carrots, swede and sweet corn.There is half a galric baguette in the freezer ready to cook to eat with it.

I have a chicken and mushroom filling ready to go into some bouche cases for tonight. I'll do spinach and some balsamic roast baby tomatoes with them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Karakoolaide,

Truly lovely salads ( & photos ) .. :thumbsup

Have a wonderful day .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Salad Day here too.
Chicken, avocado, Lush's dressing (ta!), baked chunky croots, tomato, baked bacon, leaves, and chives. I think that was everything, I ran out of any more space on my homemade salad bowl.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Wednesday 23rd.

Arrived early this morning in the Madrid Capital to attend the International Travel & Tourism Convention ( F.-I.T.U.R. ) at The Juan Carlos Convention Centre, I.F.E.M.A.

Lunch shall be "a tiny tasting of a bit of this & that" .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice day. :wave

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox