Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:02 am

Food pics look good! Shame the Thomasina recipe was disappointing Wordsworth. I have one of her books somewhere but I don’t think I’ve cooked much from it.

6FBC4D54-EE2F-46BD-BE61-79510B43F876.jpeg
6FBC4D54-EE2F-46BD-BE61-79510B43F876.jpeg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 6113 times

We had Thai duck curry with soy and sesame noodles and greens. It tasted better than it looks. Good balance of coconut sweetness and chilli heat.

Postby dennispc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Taste is all Onemore! :thumbsup Duck curry looks good to me.

Amy's photo is similar to the dish we had Tuesday, except we had a Cheese Burger plus wedges and salad (without the purple bit). I'm not keen on burgers mainly because of the dreadful buns that are often served. This dish had Ciabatta ones, really good.

Today I baked a Wholemeal Seeded loaf - free form.

seeded.jpg

Started with an overnight mix using frozen yeast. Never had problems before, usually bubbles start pretty quickly. Not this time. Same this morning so tested a few gms of the frozen yeast - warm water, flour and sugar - nothing, so put in 5gms of dried yeast plus rest of flour plus salt.

Fingers crossed. It more than doubled in size, perhaps it would've worked anyway, but added the test liquid as well. Had too much for the planned tin so .... voila! :D

Postby Pampy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:34 pm

That looks really good! :yum :yum :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:55 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Disappointing.
Fairly claggy, couldn't taste the cumin.
Definitely needed the feta and herbs, I added more salt and lemon juice at the table.

I followed the recipe, all I can think is I should have used a wider, shallower cooking pot.

Hello WW, we tried that too, although with a few variations. We had a bottle of rather decent readymade tomato sauce (it comes with the lockdown govt food box) so used that instead of stock, we used more spices than she suggested and we didn't have any broad beans - I can't remember what we subbed - but I agree, it was definitely not a big success. Feta and extra lemon were much needed.

The method was great - I think we'll do it again but add more bits and pieces.

The pot we used was perfect, it's a large SKK saute pan with a glass lid and a removeable handle.

We had left-overs in wholemeal tortilla wraps with a load of Greek yogurt.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:54 pm

We made smoothies this morning and had those with coffee and pastries from the Co-op whilst sat on the rec. Making the most of it before the weather turns!

Lunch was a salad with prawns and smoked salmon and a few small new potatoes.

We were going to do a Tamasin Day-Lewis recipe of layered pancakes with tomato sauce this evening...but from memory it is a massive faff and I’m not sure I can be bothered! I might make the sauce today and we will have it tomorrow instead. In which case we may order in pizzas for dinner tonight.

Postby Loulou » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Food pics look good! Shame the Thomasina recipe was disappointing Wordsworth. I have one of her books somewhere but I don’t think I’ve cooked much from it.

6FBC4D54-EE2F-46BD-BE61-79510B43F876.jpeg

We had Thai duck curry with soy and sesame noodles and greens. It tasted better than it looks. Good balance of coconut sweetness and chilli heat.

Oh that looks so good! Will try this sometime. :yum

Postby Loulou » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:59 pm

I’m making pasta ( haven’t decided which kind yet) with Puttanesca Sauce. I have all the ingredients. Looking forward to it on this dull day with a glass of wine. :wino .
Love seeing everyone’s menus.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:33 pm

My neighbour's dinner was smelling divine the other day so I asked what she was cooking.

It was Joe Wicks' Italian stallion sausages and that's what we are having tonight.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Looked them up - the recipe looks nice but what an awful name on so many counts!

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Agreed.

Naff doesn't even come close.

Postby Amyw » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:44 pm

I think that’s kind of Joe Wicks USP isn’t it . Super cringe but I think he knows it and does it tongue in cheek

Postby WWordsworth » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 pm

It was delicious!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am

dennispc, that is one beautiful looking boule! Truly!

OMCO your prawn and smoked salmon salad sounds great - method? recipe?

Pretty plate, AmyW :D

It was leftovers chez nous - I couldn't resist a sushi session for summer - California Rolls using a bit of leftover (cooked/sizzled) wild salmon instead of crab, and avo (so plentiful and good at the moment) with a lick of chile-lime mayonnaise underneath. Bit of a fiddle as the sesame sprinkled rice is on the outside but def worth it. Haven't done sushi for ages - finally used up the last bit of sushi rice that's been sitting around for a good while so now can replace yay.

Combined a couple of recipes below and one from a really excellent old time life japanese book from the 1960's - for the sesame seed/flip over and roll up technique, rice vinegar/sugar/salt/mirin ratios - not to mention converting American cups to weight etc.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alt ... pe-1916375

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/California-Roll/

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:44 pm

ZeroCook wrote:OMCO your prawn and smoked salmon salad sounds great - method? recipe?

It was an assembly job mostly. We marinaded smoked salmon and cooked cold peeled king prawns in lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper, basil, parsley and left for half an hour. The salad was a bag of mixed leaves from Abel and Cole which we added sliced cucumber to. The salad dressing was half good evoo and half basil oil, mixed with more lemon juice. The marinaded fish was served on the dressed leaves with warm new potatoes on the side.

Your sushi looks fantastic!

It’s lovely weather here today so I’ve shelved the savoury pancake dish until tomorrow and we’re going to bbq some salmon kebabs and serve with a pilaff and a salad. Eton mess for dessert.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks OMCO. And def bbq season - might have to.

Still curious about London Slice - anyone? - I imagine mille feulle only with shortcrust pastry and berries or a jammy layer of some sort.

Did a search for London Slice recipe with 0 results, added 'dessert' and found a long GR dessert link with some very tempting bits. No. Mustn't.

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com ... ry/dessert

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Everyone's food looks great.
Last night I made my old favourite, pasta with bacon, black olives, pesto and cream.
This evening I'm having a big burger, made up of two bean burgers from Sainos, and stuff that I haven't decided on yet.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:18 pm

We had Nigel Slater's Roast tomatoes with Za'atar this evening:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... d-mograbia
Couldn't get hold of any giant couscous so had orzo instead, which I just happened to have some of that I bought ages and ages ago and had never used!

It was delicious, would recommend it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:14 am

ZeroCook wrote:.

Thanks OMCO. And def bbq season - might have to.

Still curious about London Slice - anyone? - I imagine mille feulle only with shortcrust pastry and berries or a jammy layer of some sort.

Did a search for London Slice recipe with 0 results, added 'dessert' and found a long GR dessert link with some very tempting bits. No. Mustn't.

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com ... ry/dessert

I have lived in London for nearly half a century and never heard of a London Slice but I do wonder if it’s a version of Tottenham Cake? Which is just a traybake sponge topped with thick pink icing and sprinkled with desiccated coconut, then cut for some reason into squares, never bars. Available at all all reasonably traditional bakers round here, made of course with pink colouring - I think someone may have said they used the syrup for flavouring milkshakes but I might have dreamed that, it would work as you will see if you look at Leah Hyslop’s authentic recipe, complete with history

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/re ... enham-cake

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 pm

Fusilli with home made pesto made with basil grown from seed (it's a very anaseedy secented one, but this goes when it's made into pesto) with some creme fraiche. Wondering whether to stir in a half ball of mozzarella that needs eating up, or if that will be too rich.

Something strawberryish for after. I have just hulled a bowlful which is now macerating. I really should stop eating dessert though.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:54 pm

Get that mozzarella in there Herbi - sounds great...!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox