Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm

I'm very impressed all your Christmas sprouts have lasted this long. I find they go a bit miserable quite quickly in my house.

Prawn penne last night, with onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, lemon and cream.
I must find myself another pasta dish for my regular repertoire.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm lucky to be able to pick sprouts from the plot. Harvested a nice stalk today, all the sprouts are the size of grapes, they'll be lovely. Coming towards the end of the crop though, a couple of tattier looking stalks to go, but they'll be good for bubble and the tops are fine.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Lucky, but also a lot of hard work, BM. I wish I had more room to grow more veg, and I've not even attempted winter veg, other than cavolo nero, but I accept I probably wouldn't have time/necessarily want to do all the hard work. So hat's off to you.
I really wish I had planted some psb though. I decided late on to buy some plants but left it too late. I have some wsb plants but they are't thriving.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:17 pm

Although I'm sure that BM has lavished great care and attention to his garden produce, I have always found growing sprouts incredibly easy and like the way they happily sit outside in all weathers until you need them.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:21 pm

Maybe I should have a go next year. I only have two 1.5m square raised beds in which to grow things, one of which is full of rhubarb (need to get rid of some.) And the other needs to be clear in time to put beans in in early summer.

I had forgotten I am having a go at leeks - in pots - but they are not doing well. I have some perpetual spinach on the go too. I planted garlic last week but that's quite a long haul thing (and touch and go whether it will work?)

I am umming and ahing about getting a greenhouse which would have to go where the raised beds are so that's complicating things. (And might preclude growing such veg again... The only suitable spot to relocate the raised beds to is the area that floods.) I put my name down for an allotment plot at the end of our road, but there is a 5 year waiting list... :? And I suspect I might have to pass muster on top of that.

I cooked some rice to make a stir fried rice dish (the sprouty nasi goreng, maybe) for dinner but it's getting a bit late now and OH has gone to Sainsbury's, so this might be for tomorrow.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 pm

SIL and MIL have an allotment which we are envious of. Luckily for us we get lots of produce from them for zero effort which is good I suppose. More sprouts dropped off today!

Food has been a bit meh recently. Finishing off lots of unhealthy Christmas hamper stuff which is bad. We have a freezer full of lovely fish and a fridge full of veg and salad courtesy of the veg boxes but little time, inspiration or inclination to cook this week. I’ve just about managed frozen pizzas, fish and veg, easy pasta for the kids. I/we cook again later when OH gets home but too shattered to be bothered with anything interesting! Toad in the hole tonight using one of those packet batter mixes. I’ll keep an eye on this thread for inspiration from you lot :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:31 pm

Winter brassicas are relatively straightforward to grow. They do need a fair bit of space though and occupy it for much of the year. Of course this isn't a problem on an allotment. Mine have had some unwelcome visitors this year. They got a good pecking when the pigeons managed to push the netting down onto them. Having the time to visit most days meant I could keep on top of the caterpillars, but there wasn't much I could do about the bullocks. :shock:

Despite that, there are red and white cabbages, sprouts and January Kings now, PSB to come, followed by Spring cauliflowers. If the frost doesn't nadger them, there ought to be a last picking of pak choi at the weekend.

ETA

To address the thread, this week we have had parsnip pasta, broad bean quesadillas, roast BNS with stilton & walnuts, mince & mash, venison steaks & veg.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:43 pm

I am translating that to a well known John Lydon related album BM - Never Mind the Bullocks :D

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:36 pm

I made nasi goreng... sort of. I used the Meera Sodah sprout recipe as a starting point, and changed quite a lot (not the sauces) but mainly by adding things rather than substituting. So garlic, onion, brown basmati, chipotle chilli flakes, cashews, omelette and petit pois along with all the other flavourings from her recipe. I would have used tofu instead of egg if I had had any.
Anway, husband had thirds :o :)

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:50 am

Gill, prawn penne sounds AOK to me. I'll prob be doing the penne, zucchini, ricotta tomorrow - that's one of my reg rep! :lol:

Nasi goreng - been a really long time since I've had or made that - sounds really good Herbidacious. Peanut sauce? Could eat that by the cupful. And does your OH know my OH? Mine has seconds and thirds the next day if I make fried rice. But only fried rice. Never has seconds or leftovers of anything else - go figure :D

Smoked salmon steaks - do tell, WW. Hot smoked?

Carcass cooks - so good. Absolutely always the best soup or stock.

Borscht yesterday - 3 hour version. Stewing beef, leeks, beetroot, carrots, bay leaf, black pepper. Always good for a cold night.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:41 am

Wow, that looks amazing. It even looks like it's been intensely cooked for 3hrs.

Waffles made yesterday. I'm really pleased with the machine, it gives me a cracking alternative to toast.
Just what I was looking for. The batter amount I make is just about spot on, but maybe a teaspoon too much mix in the trays, you can see a little extra trim on the side.

Runny eggs, slurp. I don't salt or pepper them, just have them as they are.
This is a meal I shall make, when Tony just fancies cheese on toast.

Off to start a nasi goreng thread ....

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:19 pm

Well, you live and learn. I have never seen Borscht containing meat before, only stock. It looks hearty and nice.

Glad you got the right waffle set up Gill!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Smoked salmon steaks - do tell, WW. Hot smoked?

Yep, got them in Tesco.
20 mins in a hot oven and they were delicious.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:59 pm

Last night we had haddock fillet rubbed with olive oil and a bit of garam masala, accompanied by spiced puy lentils and a green salad.

Tonight will probably be kedgeree.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Waffles look fantastic Gill. Really good snackmeal. I've seen recipes for very whole grains and even veg versions too.

EM - it's the full version borscht- hearty but not heavy.

WW - thanks and your haddock n lentils sound excellent.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:56 pm

The waffles and borscht both look ace!

Also love the sound of your haddock WW.

Yesterday I slow cooked some pork ribs in stock and aromatics for hours. Then shredded the meat by hand so it was pulled pork consistency and added a couple of spoonfuls of the reduced liquid to keep it moist when I reheated it. We had that folded into soft mini tacos with refried beans, jalapeños, grated cheddar, chopped gem lettuce and salsa. Corn on the cob and potato wedges on the side. It was a feast.

Dinner tonight was M&S Indian starter selection with dips to start, followed by homemade butter chicken curry with rice and spiced roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

A local country pub is selling wonderful sandwich subs on a Sunday...breakfast versions through to roast dinner versions. We’ve planned a morning walk so either brunch or lunch will be from there.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:50 pm

We finally made the scallops dish I mentioned before, from Nothing Fancy by Alison Roman.

We had to use kiwi fruit instead of tomatillos. It was delicious.
Attachments
scallops and citrus.JPG
scallops and citrus.JPG (87.79 KiB) Viewed 3790 times

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I am translating that to a well known John Lydon related album BM - Never Mind the Bullocks :D

:D

I'm afraid I have completely failed to come up with any punk/livestock mash-up puns. I have however got a splendid tee shirt in the style of the classic Ramones one, that reads 'Jamones' with references to various Spanish hams instead of the band members. I saw the Ramones at the Rainbow, NYE 1977.

KC2 I wouldn't mind that scallop recipe please; always looking for ways to use the tomatillo glut in the freezer.

ETA I checked back in the thread and found the recipe, thanks. :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:14 pm

scallops! Mmmmm, mmmmm. I'm on ma way over .......

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:scallops! Mmmmm, mmmmm. I'm on ma way over .......

8pm ok ? :D

Here's the recipe: https://storyandrain.com/article/food-d ... and-citrus

Are tomatillos easy to grow? Maybe we should try a gro-bag of them next year although tbh, I'm not sure we've got anywhere it could go!
We have no earth to plant anything in, and the only bed there is is totally in the shade with a towering wall of ivy behind it :(

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox