Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby herbidacious » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:03 pm

I don't have any ice cream, but was thinking some sort of sponge pudding. Or could I make it into a tart?
Would work on pancakes...

It is really delicious. And you wouldn't know it had miso in it.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Sounds heavenly!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:31 pm

A favourite.
Lasagne and salad.

I use the Hairy Bikers ragu recipe, so 500g minced beef gives me 4 portions of lasagne and a 2-person portion of ragu for the freezer.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 pm

Macaroni cheese and tomatoes baked with a dab of pesto

Just what I wanted

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Something we don't have very often, a roast dinner.

Lamb, roast potatoes and parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli and leek.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Roast vegetable quiche - courgettes, butternut squash, red onions, orange pepper. Bought pastry, I'm afraid :oops:
It was delicious, and there's half left for tomorrow!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:21 am

I did my usual Sunday thing.
Look in the fridge, wondered whether it might be better to get a takeaway, then realised that the wife was out with the car. :cry:
Fished out a few bocconcini from the back, cut some basil from the garden, used up some tomatoes - Capressa salad.
A handful of green beans in the veg drawer ( and a tin of tuna) turned into a sort of Nicoise salad, with some capers, anchovies and wonderful Syrian olives.
Then I remembered I´d got some cooked Borlotti beans - so they were soaked in garlic oil and placed on a bruschetta, with some roasted pepper on top.

Postby halfateabag » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:26 am

At the butchers the other day bought individual pies, one beef and ale and the other venison & juniper. Should have had them yesterday but A. had a dicky tummy so that will be served today with a mix of leek and potato (RTC shelf). The veg was cooked in the beef bone stock and tastes (& smells) wonderful. Incidentally I picked enough beef off the bones for a good portion each.

There are some ckx. pieces marinating in the fridge in cajun spices and a RTC tray of Med veg. for tomorrow.

These easy meals are all I am capable of ATM.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 am

Are you OK Zosh?

Postby herbidacious » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 pm

Ottolenghi's portobello mushrom 'steaks' with butterbean mash

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... ls-sprouts

Enough olive oil to make an imam faint... and enough garlic to scare a vampire.

Postby Suffs » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Tonight’s supper ... steamed salmon, flaked and added to finely chopped shallot softened in butter, a few capers, peas, chopped parsley and creme fraiche with linguine and lots of black pepper.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:45 pm

I made the baked tofu KC2 mentioned, mine didn't go very crispy, more chewy, think I should have cooked it for less time at a higher temperature, the recipe said 400F but didn't specify fan or not, I guessed not and think I guessed wrong
I added it to a mushroom stir fry, with a dark "gravy", nice

I also made a big batch of the old favourite River Cottage Winter Minestrone ready for lunches, this one seems to have come out very well

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:30 am

We cooked a ham tonight and had it with parsley sauce, jacket potatoes and greens.

We have just had a few nights away in the lakes and had some ace food, venison suet pudding, blackberry soufflé and other unhealthy stuff!

We have stocked up on lots of fresh fish and vegetables for some lighter meals over the next few days before the Christmas excess.

Postby jeral » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Baked salmon here yesterday; thick loin piece, this time following a recipe that said "high heat but quick", i.e. 200C in my halogen fan, so 210C fan in normal oven, for 4-8 mins. I stopped after 6 mins and let it rest to finish self-cooking in the cooling halogen. It was just right.

It was supposed to have been marinated for 20 mins in a fish sauce plus ginger etc mixture (new one to me) but I forgot, so yet to try fish sauce.

Re ham, it should be on the Christmas thread as it makes an excellent cold deep pie with left over turkey, or preferably hot water crust if anyone can be bothered to make it after Christmas ;)

Postby Amyw » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Sorry jeral, I always thought you didn't eat meat, so have avoided meat suggestions before when things have been asked. Sorry again must have mixed you up with someone else
Last edited by Amyw on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I made the baked tofu KC2 mentioned, mine didn't go very crispy, more chewy, think I should have cooked it for less time at a higher temperature, the recipe said 400F but didn't specify fan or not, I guessed not and think I guessed wrong
I added it to a mushroom stir fry, with a dark "gravy", nice

I also made a big batch of the old favourite River Cottage Winter Minestrone ready for lunches, this one seems to have come out very well

Sorry your tofu didn't get crispy - ours did. I drained it for ages and used a second lot of kitchen paper so it really was dry by the time I added the soy and oil.

I was intrigued by your River Cottage Winter Minestrone and looked it up - is this it: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/riv ... minestrone

I would have thought the quantities given would serve rather more than 5 people :? Even hungry ones :lol: Anyway, I'll definitely give it a try after Christmas. Glad you mentioned it :thumbsup
I tend to throw a minestrone together without using a recipe as I've never liked any of the ones I've either got or found so I'm really pleased to have a t & t one now.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:19 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:I was intrigued by your River Cottage Winter Minestrone and looked it up - is this it: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/riv ... minestrone

Yes, but as you noticed not 1 kg of each of the greens - I’ve actually commented there that I think she meant not 1 kg but probably 1 bunch which would perhaps be ~250g of each after trimming, 100g each is still a fairly hefty portion and a thick veg stew/soup

I discovered halfway through I had no cannellini beans so I used rose coco beans which are red and it looks rather festive

Postby WolfGirl » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm

That sounds very festive Sue. I’ve never heard of rose coco beans.

The last time I made minestrone I only had purple carrots. The whole dish was a very fetching shade of lilac. Tasted good though.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:02 pm

That minestrone does look more like a vegetable stew, Sue! Wow, there´s a lot going on there, with a whole head of celery, two kgs of greens and only 700 mls stock.
Mind you, the chard and the cavolo nero (which the author does specify "stalks removed") sort of reduce to nothing, and the tomatoes probably provide additional liquid, but it still looks pretty hearty to me. Perfect for a freezing Xmas!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:57 pm

WolfGirl wrote:That sounds very festive Sue. I’ve never heard of rose coco beans.

AKA Borlotti beans, I think ... at least, that's how Asda sells them ...

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox