Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Busybee » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

We are having a family belated Easter on Sunday, roast turkey, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, plus cranberry and bread sauce. Followed by boozey trifle and meringues.

As it’s Easter I will be dying some eggs too.

It’s the first time we have all been together since lockdown, and probably the last for some time.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm

HAPPY EASTER BB! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hope you had Hot Cross Buns today. 8-)

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:26 pm

This evening OH made pasta with anchovies and onions as recommended by Polpo's Russell Norman https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... n-by-chefs
He also roasted some broccoli and we had it with the pasta.

It was delicious! Dead simple, not even a handful of ingredients! He used the Bamix to blend the sauce when it was cooked.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:10 pm

We had home grown ratatouille type thing again baked with chickpeas, parmesan and mozzarella. OH liked it and didn't realize there was parmesan in it :)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:33 pm

Yesterday I had a cooking session and made a big moussaka which I left to cut into 6 portions today when set. I had one for dinner tonight with salad, there are 3 in the freezer and 2 in the fridge

For dinner last night I quickly slung together a sort of sweet and sour pork with some leftover fresh pineapple and green pepper

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:39 am

I was going to go for moussaka, but couldn't find lamb mince so had 'chilli with meat' instead. Three portions in freezer.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:53 am

I was going to attempt 'Spinach and Tomato Rotolo' from the Slimming World 'Take Five' book (the only SW book which has any edible recipes IMO). The idea is to cut long, thin slices of courgette to use in place of pasta and roll each slice round a mixture of soft cheese and wilted spinach then bake in a tomato sauce.

In reality I wasn't in the mood for tomato so filled the courgette slices with light garlic & onion cream cheese and baked them standing up in a dish with no extra oil or anything, cooked a selection of veg (mushroom, pepper, spinach etc) with a couple of prawns lurking in the freezer and heated up half a pack of Tilda brown rice with quinoa, pumpkin seeds etc which I am fond of and buy when on special offer. The rice went on the plate first, then the veg and then the courgettes covered it all. The sauce made by the cheese coated everything nicely and it was delicious. It seemed quite decadent actually but wasn't really! I might follow the recipe properly one day, but probably not!

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:41 am

I like to ring the changes, and recently bought Chetna Makan's "Chetna's Healthy Indian Vegetarian" cookbook. I've made a couple of things, which turned out really well - today's effort will be a mushroom and cashew curry. Dead simple - I'm really looking forward to it.

Postby scullion » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:41 pm

yesterday's new dish was the tempeh kering - i've not used tempeh before. the flavour was not as strong as i'd expected so i think the 'sauce' made the dish. i recon there are a few things that it will enhance - tofu and quorn come to mind.
tonight will be something with salad. maybe i'll find something else i've not made before.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:45 pm

No, tempeh is far more an interesting texture than a flavour, it really just tastes of soybeans

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Chilli, lemon and crab spaghetti last night...with some white wine and parsley and a tiny bit of fennel (I don’t like lots of aniseed flavour).

Almond pastries this morning with coffees.

Roast pork is going in the oven which we’re having with cauliflower cheese, potatoes, greens, apple sauce.

We might pop to the pub for an hour while it’s cooking!

Dessert will be blackberry Eton mess with toasted hazelnuts.

We have some smoked salmon and spinach to have with poached eggs in the morning.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Gruney I recently made Chetna Makan's veg koftas.
They were delicious.

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for the tip, Wordsworth - I've earmarked it. Her Rajmar paneer is superb - everyone I've put on to it loves it.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:04 pm

We have just eaten this.
Quick, easy and delicious.
I had no silverskin onions so I doubled the cornichons.
Needs salt and quite a lot of pepper.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/mus ... troganoff/

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:37 pm

What lovely meals you've been having OMCO!

Jamie's dish with the wild mushrooms sounds really delicious WWordsworth. The whisky sauce would go well with it.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:19 pm

Sakkarin! I used the gochujang spices that you sent me to make the Korean dish. It was fabulous! I ended up getting pork shoulder steaks because Lidl only had the large packs of chicken thighs. I used English radishes. There's plenty left for the next couple of days.
Attachments
P1010997.JPG
P1010997.JPG (136.73 KiB) Viewed 3413 times

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:40 am

OMCO - wow

Looks fantastic, Renee.

Love pasta with onions and anchovies, Bea - I use a version of Hollowlegs' version. Haven't had for ages, must make sometime soon.

Scullion, sounds good. Tempeh's like tofu inasmuch as not much pronounced flavour on own but great crisped up, sauces, seasonings and other ingredients as a foil to the blandness and texture, which is what I like. Putting on shopping list :)

I couldn't decide where to post this - here or on the use it or lose it thread. Picked up a shopping order and had bits of kale leaves,spring onion leaves, beans, onion part in fridge that needed using up, ditto a carrot, some fenugreek leaves I grew, and took a few prawns out of the freezer to thaw. Voila, tempura. And a couple of sushi rolls :D

Postby Renee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:50 am

What a fabulous meal ZeroCook! You're very creative. I would love that!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Hopefully you've got the idea of that Korean chilli powder now, Renee! Practically every Korean dish has a tablespoon of it thrown in (and gochugang paste too of course). I use it all the time when I need a pinch of chilli, it's replaced my normal chilli flakes.

My impromptu tempura last week was a disaster, Zero.

I hate the word "brunch", but that's what my midday pizza was, halfway between breakfast and lunch. Cheese and onion (no tomato so almost pissaladiere). It struck me that nearly all the ingredients were Lidl special offers (including Red Leicester 89p for 400g!!!), I'll do a cost workout as a matter of interest and plonk it here later.

43p for a 10 inch pizza! Prices in red were special offers...

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:16 pm

Yum, Sakk. Now you've got me wanting pizza! (impressive number crunch!). Actually, pissaladiere sounds pretty good too. Another thing I haven't made for a long time.

For tempura and any batter for that matter I use a super easy very forgiving Neapolitan yeast fish batter - 360ml water, 1/2 tsp dried yeast, 250g plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 30-60 minutes, add 3 tbs water & beat lightly with whisk to loosen. More water for tempura as you want it a bit thinner. Half quantity is enough for a small run.

I think that tempura is such a pretty dish, too, as well as good to eat.

Love sweet and sour with peppers & pineapple Stokey - how do you do yours?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox