Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:10 pm

I love jacket spuds or, as they are called here, potatoes in their shirts or in field dress. Trouble is we really haven't found an available variety which really works. They are just not done in these parts.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm

I love jacket potatoes with loads of grated cheddar , and copious amounts of salt and pepper . Am very fussy over them though . I like them on the small side, so you get a good crispy skin to fluffy interior ratio and oven cooked for as long as possible so the skins gorgeous and crispy .

Tonight I’m cooking pork chops , which I’m looking forward to , as haven’t had them in ages . Cooking very simply with potato dauphinois , sprouts , broccoli and gravy . Yesterday , I used some leftover vegetable curry in pastry , to make a kind of pasty I guess . Worked well and good cold weather food

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:11 pm

We got a rare invitation for lunch on Saturday; I think it´s the first time we´ve been out since Christmas. "Rare" because it´s impossible to go to restaurants any more ( 1,000,000% inflation) and because most of our friends have left the country :terrified: :terrified: . Still, it was a "baptism" lunch and the food was abundant. Smoked salmon on puff pastry; "tequeños" ( little cheese fingers wrapped in pastry); " Maracuchitas" ( cheese wrapped in plantain); fried wontons; egg rolls; paté,then tenderloin and roast pork, :terrified: mango and avocado salad, green salad and plantain "pie".
Yesterday I decided to go Mexican, and to use up a packet of Masa Harina I had in the fridge. Home-made tortillas, black beans, tomato salsa, guacamole and chiles stuffed with minced meat and ricotta. Today I´m going to use up the left-over tortillas, and make chilaquiles. ¡Órale! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am

Sounds like everyone us eating wonderfully.

karadekoolaid wrote: "Rare" because it´s impossible to go to restaurants any more ( 1,000,000% inflation) and because most of our friends have left the country :terrified:

How are spirits since the recent election and Guaido being almost globally recognised as the new president? Here's hoping for some peace and prosperity. Not least for you all living there but also as I would love to visit Central and South America, and Venezuela is right up on my bucket list.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm

How are spirits since the recent election and Guaido being almost globally recognised as the new president? Here's hoping for some peace and prosperity. Not least for you all living there but also as I would love to visit Central and South America, and Venezuela is right up on my bucket list.

There´s still a long way to go. Got to get rid of Ken Livingstone´s best friend first, then eliminate ALL the top ranks of the military (shoot them, I say), and THEN restart industry and agriculture. Not much to do, really :gonzo :gonzo

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:22 pm

All my fingers crossed for you here KK :-(

Meanwhile, a rather attractive batch of no-knead overnight ciabatta-style rolls I made earlier. Gorgeously chewy for my late breakfast bacon rolls...

I don't make much bread these days (after that year when I baked ALL my own bread), but the falling standards of local supermarket bread looks like it may tempt me back to home baked. And my "new" 99p fan oven which seems to do a very good job...

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:04 pm

They look splendid, Sakks!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm

:klingonbanana

Postby Alexandria » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Very lovely Sakkarin ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:51 am

Fantastic baking, Sakkers.
I'm pleased to hear your oven was worth every penny.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Any left Sakkers?? :yum
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:24 pm

I'm baking some chicken breasts in breadcrumbs. For sandwiches tonight.
Chicken princess = chook, with melted cheese.

Tomorrow I'll use some more, sliced into vermicelli noodle and peppers for a salad lunch. Easy cooking.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Love sausage anyone...……?!?!

Oooooooooooooooo Matron...……!!

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fo ... 060471.htm

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Love sausage anyone...……?!?!

Oooooooooooooooo Matron...……!!

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/fo ... 060471.htm

That page shows as Not Found on my gadget, which is probably as well as I like ones made of stuffing. Matron might not approve of a good stuffing though.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:33 pm

This was a huge source of merriment on The News Quiz this lunch time.! Is romace really dead these days??

Postby DEB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Changing the subject at the daughters request tonight is a homemade pizza with spice for one and veg and fish for the other.

Tomorrow, as I we have too many evening meetings in the comming weeks it is a bulk veggie lasagne, some to eat with roasted veg salad and rest to frezze.

Happy cooking :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Renee wrote:The McCains jacket potatoes can either be nuked for five minutes or baked in the oven for about 50 minutes from frozen. They have already been slow baked so have all the flavours. Have you tried the Branston Baked Beans with Chorizo? I've only seen them in Sainsbury's.

Coming a bit late to the party, Bannisters are cheaper than McCain and just as good, but I have successfully slow baked and frozen my own slow baked spuds and revived in the microwave

Postby Pampy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am

Going back to the posts on vine leaves - I noticed today that Lidl had tinned Eridanous Greek vine leaves in store.

Postby Renee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 am

I've seen Bannisters Sue, but was reluctant to try them being used to McCains, so thanks for the recommendation.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox