Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 am

Sorry, had to edit as I wrote ingredients but got the order of the "how to" assembly wrong (as I did it).

Tinned stuffed vine leaves that I buy are in two layers, about 8+-ish in total maybe, so a lot really if you only want a couple per person. I do prefer them sauteed (until piping hot). Not sure if you're supposed to eat them hot, or cold in a meze given they're already cooked. However, they're very useful (and a change from spud) for a bit of green and carb with meat or veg burger patties (salad optional).

They keep in the fridge once opened, but only for a day or so or they go slimey. I used to try making them but my vine leaves always had the texture of leather so I gave up.

Postby Renee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 am

I was once given a sample stuffed vine leaf to try whilst I was in the restaurant of a department store. It was cold and very nice, so could be served either hot or cold I would think.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Jeral I pick young vine leaves in the spring and bottle them in a light brine. I sometime use them to wrap whole fish before cooking.

Last night we had choucroute garni which was rather good. It's our excuse to drink Alsace wine and eat lots of mustard! Dessert was baked rummy bananas with ice cream.

Lunch today was a slow roasted shoulder of lamb with baby potatoes cooked in the rosemary juices. Red wine and redcurrant jus, braised endives and carrot and courgette ribbons. Then we had cheese - Cantal and Mont d'Or and afterwards a blueberry tart made with frozen blueberries.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:29 pm

Our new cheese deli up the road has Vacherin Mont d'or cheese as their special this week.
I shall pop in on my way past tomorrow morning.
I've got oatcakes at my studio, should make a rather lovely lunch.

Postby Renee » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:33 pm

I've just had Sweet Onion Ryvita with the intense Snowdonia Black Bomber cheese. It's so good and much better than Lancashire! :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:57 pm

I usually eat stuffed vine leaves cold with a squeeze of lemon over them as part of a mixed meze. The canned ones are pretty good IMO, and keep well in the fridge.

For timight I have mackerel fillets, one mackerel opened out into a beautiful butterfly double fillet. I shall smear it with harissa and grill or bake it, and serve with roast spice cauliflower and bulghar pilaff, leaving me leftover cauli & pilaff for a light meal with salad bits

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Last night's left-over lamb moussaka went down very well and there is still some left to go in the freezer.

There is watercress soup on the go for lunch and for tonight I have boudin noir (black pudding) for tonight which we'll have with fried apple and crispy onion rings and parsnip puree. Possibly pancakes with fruit compote afterwards.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 pm

As me and Tiff are back to eating dust and ice Monday to Thursday to allow us to love our lives on weekends I am being more creative which is fun.

Tonight is morrocan spiced pork with honey and cumin aubergine, yoghurt and tahini sauce and other garnishes :thumbsup

20190122_175647-01-790x478.jpeg
20190122_175647-01-790x478.jpeg (118.56 KiB) Viewed 10733 times

Postby Renee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Very creative WF!!! How do you do your aubergine? It looks as though you've used some kind of griddle.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:34 am

Renee - Yep on a griddle.

https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com/ki ... le-pan-p44

This one infact. I have had it for 4 years, and use it at least 3 times a week. It doesn't owe me anything :thumbsup

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 am

Thanks for the link. It's a good price too!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:39 am

Snap! Wildie.

Renee I use the smooth plancha side all the time. I got mine with my birthday money when I was 40.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:02 pm

Great things, those griddles! They really create some serious heat!
Lots of stuff is cooked on griddles over here; especially the "flat" side. If you go down to the beach, the little restaurants along the quay will often rustle you up a mixed grill of shrimp, squid, clams, scallops, etc. - all sizzled together on " la plancha". You can also use it for making arepas, of course.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 pm

I love my griddle and use it several times a week. I cooked the boudin noir on it last night. Shan't be using it tnight though because it a cheese souffle with a watercress endive and fresh orange salad.

2 rum babas mysteriously appeared in my shopping trolley this morning while I was getting the milk. I can't imagine who did it :lol:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:27 pm

We will be having warming comfort food over the next few days because of the weather. I'm not 100% sure whether I will make it into work tomorrow due to my silly legs that don't work properly. I walk with one crutch when I am outside and they and ice are not good friends!

Postby Renee » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem Strictly. Yes, it can be quite dangerous under those conditions. I put grips to prevent slipping on my trainers this morning.

A quick meal tonight due to being out for most of the day. A salmon fillet lightly fried in a spot of walnut oil, served with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, also a McCains jacket potato. They really are good when something quick is needed.

Thanks for the picture Gill. I do have an enamelled cast iron griddle thingy with ridges, which I put away in a drawer. I must look for it.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 am

Take care Stricters.
Renee, I always forget about baked potatoes. My filling of choice is cottage cheese.
Yesterday, a woman was nuking a plate of something delicious wafting up the building and around my studio.
Turns out, it was only a bowl of baked beans.

Nice in cold weather.

Clive, yes, I do fish a lot on my ironplate. It holds together well.

Postby Renee » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am

The McCains jacket potatoes can either be nuked for five minutes or baked in the oven for about 50 minutes from frozen. They have already been slow baked so have all the flavours. Have you tried the Branston Baked Beans with Chorizo? I've only seen them in Sainsbury's.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Those McCain spuds are very good but I cannot warrant the price.

When I lived by myself and was lazy I used to hulk bake spuds and freeze them myself. Pop them in at the start of the 3pm footy kick offs and by full time a tray full of delicious spuds.

Now I microwave my spuds for a few mins to mostly cook through, roll in oil and bake on full whack for 20 mins to crisp up whilst I do my protein.

Postby dennispc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Microwave and crisp is a must for me.

OH went real traditional last night, toad in the hole but with a mustard batter. Nice. today left over sausage sandwich for lunch - old dough loaf baked yesterday. :thumbsup

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox