Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:47 pm

I have just made a curry - very rare for me - a courgette, an aubergine, half a sweet potato, a chopped onion, all fried off, then cooked in an Ainsley Harriot curry mix, using half a tin of (light) coconut milk instead of cow's milk. Just need to do some rice to go with it now ;) :yum

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:44 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have just made a curry - very rare for me - a courgette, an aubergine, half a sweet potato, a chopped onion, all fried off, then cooked in an Ainsley Harriot curry mix, using half a tin of (light) coconut milk instead of cow's milk. Just need to do some rice to go with it now ;) :yum

sounds lovely, Pat :thumbsup

Postby mistakened » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm

We are having a variation on Coronation Chicken for supper, the curry/mayonnaise mixture has been thinned down with half a pot of sour cream. Instead of mango chutney I have sliced a small mango onto the chicken mixture. It all looks a bit orange but I have served it on lettuce which tones things down a bit.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:47 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
What does pickled cactus taste like ?

Pickled cactus paddles, or nopales, are very popular in Mexico. I´ve tried them tinned and fresh. They taste a little bit like green beans/French beans. A bit underwhelming, to be honest.

I concur. Just tasted of the vinegar, really, but I'll try anything (vegetarian) once. Ooh they were a bit slimey/gelatinous too :?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Just made and ate a variation on Thomasina Miers Catalan fish stew as I had a piece of monkfish in the freezer, cooked with onion, garlic, chorizo, herbs and spices, some home made tomato sauce ( instead of canned tomatoes), a slosh of vermouth (instead of wine) and a few prawns (instead of mussels)

Some left for tomorrow :D

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:30 pm

We had a version of this: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... s-broccoli

But instead of boiling/frying the broccoli we roasted it. And we made the polenta without cream, just lots of butter. Grated grana padano on top.

It was delicious :thumbsup and looked surprisingly close to the pic :D

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Tonight was simple and delicious.

Tagliatelle with broad beans, crispy pancetta and a little fried red onion, topped with parmesan and a slosh of olive oil.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 pm

I’ve had a lot of good food in the Isles of Scilly over the last week and a bit, plenty of gorgeous fish and seafood.

Back home and last night we cooked gambas pil pil with salad and crusty bread. Tonight we’ve had lemon, garlic and thyme risotto with slow roast vine tomatoes, rack of lamb and salsa verde.

Your pasta sounds delicious Wordsworth.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 pm

Lunch today was salad - potato, with dill and parsley, and one with 2 sorts of lettuce, fresh oregano, avocado and tomato. With some new for us, delicious Tesco crackers - beetroot and mixed seed - with goat's cheese log.

We had it with my new favourite summer drink, iced decaff earl grey tea with a dash of elderflower cordial and topped up with fizzy water, over 3 or 4 ice cubes.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Breakfast was shop bought croissants halved and filled with cheese, ham and spinach and heated in the oven for 5 mins to crisp them up and melt the cheese a little.

Lunch was a selection of yumnuts from M&S, with a few strawberries to balance the extreme level of unhealthyness :D

Dinner will be san choy bao. I’ll do a noodle or rice dish on the side too.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Tonight will be pork pie, coleslaw, pickles, salami, celery, cheese and crusty bread.
We can't be bothered!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:48 pm

san choy bao

I'm intrigued.

Roast chicken breasts are going round and round a-baking in the oven atm.
We've got greens, and steamed mini potatoes.
With dark gravy from the freezer.

Postby DEB » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Having just spent the last 2 to 3 hours bottleing cherrys tonight supper will be simple grilled chicken breasts in homemade bread rolls with burger sides inc corn on the cob.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:02 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
san choy bao

I'm intrigued

Stir fried minced pork, and/or veg and prawns served in iceberg lettuce cups. The sauce around the pork is the key to the best version...we use soy, sesame, oyster, a little stock...plus garlic, chilli, ginger. Chopped water chestnuts should be added with the pork mince. On the side we serve little dishes of peanuts, spring onions, coriander, cucumber...

Thousands of versions but here’s one :thumbsup

https://www.recipetineats.com/san-choy- ... uce-wraps/

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:36 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Breakfast was shop bought croissants halved and filled with cheese, ham and spinach and heated in the oven for 5 mins to crisp them up and melt the cheese a little.

Lunch was a selection of yumnuts from M&S, with a few strawberries to balance the extreme level of unhealthyness :D

Dinner will be san choy bao. I’ll do a noodle or rice dish on the side too.

The yumnuts are pretty obscene in the nicest possible way

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 pm

he he he!

Lettuce wraps, oh I know exactly what you mean now.
I love making them.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:31 pm

Amyw wrote:The yumnuts are pretty obscene in the nicest possible way

Definitely! :D

We had breakfast in a friends garden this morning and they cooked pancakes, bacon and lots of fruit, syrup.

I’ve got a chicken in the oven. I think we’ll have it with new potatoes, asparagus, crispy parma ham, coleslaw. Mixed berry pie and cream for dessert.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 pm

Lasagne and salad tonight, with a bit of garlic bread.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Ricotta and Spinach Canneloni with Stripey Sauces with homemade green spinach pasta as threatened in the Filo thread, to get the old pasta machine working again. Faberooni.

Everytime I make pasta, I find myself thinking "why don't I do this more often?". Easy peasy, and despite having learnt how to make pasta 25 years ago, you CAN still teach an old dog new tricks, as I learnt from this video that you don't have to grab the end of the pasta and pull it out as a long sheet, if you leave it, it folds itself neatly. Just that tip alone has guaranteed that I will make more pasta, as it makes it so much less like a fight with the machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbEdnNJeaA

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:04 pm

That looks lovely and is tempting me to make some. I agree, it's easy to think pasta is difficult - I must say that (with me at least) it results in a rather messy kitchen though!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox