Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 pm

It certainly looks good!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:04 pm

herbidacious wrote:The tomato and courgette gratin with halloumi suggested by ltc.

That pizza looks amazing KC2.

Thanks Herbi! It was delicious. We roasted peppers and courgettes before putting them on the pizza along with all the other bits and pieces.

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:30 pm

WWordsworth, yes cashew nuts are soaked or simmered to soften them enough to be blended, but even then you need to make a good job of it or the result will taste noticeably grainy. They are primarily added for creamy thickening texture rather than flavour, but also have goodness so are quite often used in vegan cakes and desserts.

The slices do look good :)

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:47 pm

It wasn't grainy, very smooth in fact. :D

Maybe I won't go down the chopped nuts route next time then.
Thanks for the info.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:34 pm

That looks rather good WW!

Postby Amyw » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Glad you liked the pizza dough KeenCook2

Postby herbidacious » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:33 pm

I am having pizza tongiht, but an inferior bought one :) But have cooked three days running (a bit much imo!) and we had a Sainsbury's lick and collect with one in, so.... Will soup it up a bit.

Naughty bought dessert for afters. Either lemon meringue pie or trifle.

So not really cooking.

Last night was poshish pasta with pesto, assorted beans from the garden - two types of French and my first two runner beans, which I'd not even noticed developing so a nice surprise. Parmesan on top.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 pm

So today's special, my first Jackfruit dish, "Sri Lankan Jackfruit Curry".

Interesting. I was reminded of two things as I ate it, firstly cauliflower stems (they can actually be quite tasty...), and secondly an occasional sweetish hint (I think from the tomato and sugar rather than the jackfruit) reminded me of the pineapple I made KK's chutney with the other day, which was pretty tasteless, so added texture rather than fruitiness to the chutney. There really wasn't much sweetness in the fruit. Asparagus, that's something it vaguely reminded me of too.

I may yet try one of the "jerk pulled jackfruit" recipes, as this was OK as a meateater's dish, although not top of my list by any means.

This was the recipe I followed, although I've no idea why hers looks like that, I'm pretty sure it would still be green coloured even if I cooked it another hour...
https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/v ... uit-curry/

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Quesadillas with pickled cactus, smokey salsa, soured cream, guacamole and other things (cheese, obvs :) ) for dinner.
Lunch was a home grown tomato and basil salad with mozzarella, avocado, a few raw peas from the garden and some bread and butter.

Postby Kacey » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Made the tandoori chickpeas from Ottolenghi in yesterdays Guardian, couldn't quite bring myself to use 200mls olive oil though so cut it to 100mls and added 100mls water. Was really, really good. Had it with a paneer curry and a green bean curry both from Asma's Kitchen cookbook. The paneer was especially good. Just going to finish our keg of Abbeydale Deception to wash it down with.

Postby WWordsworth » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:15 pm

Tonight was simple fried hake ( olive oil and butter) with pea and coriander salsa plus broad beans and potatoes from the garden.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:42 pm

What does pickled cactus taste like ?

Postby RockyBVI » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi all. Pickled cactus :shock:

I have just had a week's staycation on another island. We house swapped with someone which was perfect. We ate in most of the time but had a couple of meals out. Highlights were a mexican barbecue on the beach - with lovely grilled meats and sides and a make your own taco station. Also had a fabulous watermelon and feta salad with basil vinaigrette and some lovely fish (mahi mahi) tacos.

Got back on Saturday :( OH had a takeaway pizza and I had some waitrose rosti spuds, brocolli and gravy - very classy. Yesterday I had chicken roti. The curry chicken was so good, I asked if I could have two portions of that to takeaway (nice to support too) so that will be for dinner tonight - or we might have cauliflower cheese and sausages....

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I made the courgette filo Ottolenghi filo tart Jeral mentioned in the courgettes thread. It looked like this when I took it out after 50 minutes.

IMG_2968.JPG

It needs another 15 out of the tin, so I put a bit of baking parchment on the top.

Fingers crossed it's alright. I wasn't feeling very confident about it. I think Mr O tends to use flavourings I don't usually use so it's a leap of faith.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:04 pm

Looks delicious so far! :yum

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:13 pm

Still not had any. We are having it with violet French beans and runner beans and some potatoes I found in the garden. (Grown from ones left in last year.)

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 pm

It looks amazing, Herbi!!!

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:25 am

It was really nice. The tarragon was a strong flavour, but had mellowed with cooking (was worried it was too aniseedy). The lemon zest added a hint of sweetness. I used chipotle chilli flakes instead or 'ordinary' ones, which added a lovely, subtle background warmth. I didn't have enough parsley or any dill (little pot I bought from supermarket died the day after it arrived) so would be interesting to make again at some point with the right herbs in the right quantities.

It certainly scores high on the 'using up lots of courgettes in one go' front :) But also on the taste front. And it was easy to make.

I realize that, inspite of having all his books, each bought as they came out, this is only the second Ottolenghi thing I have made, doubtless put off by the usual long list of ingredients. Both have been very good.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:34 pm

What does pickled cactus taste like ?

Pickled cactus paddles, or nopales, are very popular in Mexico. I´ve tried them tinned and fresh. They taste a little bit like green beans/French beans. A bit underwhelming, to be honest.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Oh really , I may not bother then :mrgreen: .

The tart looks nice Herbi . I might have a flick through my Ottolenghi books. I have quite a few but only cooked a couple of things from them

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox