Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:01 am

Renee wrote:It is interesting that white turnip is a substitute for mooli. I used our English radishes.

In most of the UK mooli is easy enough to find in Asian stores and supermarkets so quite easy to stick with the recipe

It’s been way too hot to cook in London, I roasted a chicken and some veg and I’ve been using them up

For the last of it I sautéed garlic, some spring onion that wanted using up, some strips of sweet peppers, some tomato, added the last of the pan juices, a splash of white wine, added chicken and fresh herbs and thickened it a little and ate with bulgar wheat cooked pilaff style

Busy weekend so hope to get going in the week

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:28 am

Renee wrote:Do you have a good recipe for falafels?

this is madhur's recipe - it's very good.
sometimes i put a little gram flour in the mix if the first one breaks up while frying.

falafel.jpg
falafel.jpg (249.71 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 am

Renee wrote:...but don't eat cakes now because I'm doing Michael Mosley's Fast 800 Diet.

I'll have to look into that. I've breakfasted a couple of times this week on the mushroom and spinach omelette he featured on the first programme, although the second time I augmented it with a bagel, and had a mental flashback to the bloke on the programme who said "it needs a slice of white toast with it"...

Postby scullion » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:In most of the UK mooli is easy enough to find in Asian stores and supermarkets so quite easy to stick with the recipe

that may be a bit of 'city centric assumption', sue, - i'm unaware of an asian store near here and haven't seen mooli/daikon in a supermarket.

i've just googled. the nearest 'asian' (oriental) shop is in pz and the nearest to sell the whole gamut of asian is in plymouth (ie not in cornwall.)
i would have to buy a lot to make it worthwhile going to penzance for a shopping trip - and the last time i went to plymouth was over a decade ago - to go to the firework competition - and the shops were shut.

i have also bought ordinary radishes to make the next batch of kimchi - and have for the previous load.

Postby Linnet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Mooli not always easy to find in Plymouth either; my bil is very fond of it, so I take it when I visit them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:22 pm

scullion wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:In most of the UK mooli is easy enough to find in Asian stores and supermarkets so quite easy to stick with the recipe

that may be a bit of 'city centric assumption', sue, - i'm unaware of an asian store near here and haven't seen mooli/daikon in a supermarket.

i.

No, was easily available in my parents small town in Hampshire

Postby smitch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:23 pm

Yesterday, we had veggie sausage muffins for breakfast. Tea was an Asian meal kit from a couple of street food traders who are working together during lockdown. We had broccoli fritters, teriyaki tofu, rice, vegan Korean fried chicken, kimchi and aubergine sisig.

Today, we had leftovers for dinner and just made cheese & kimchi toasties for a late tea.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 am

Maris pipers are deliciously creamy at the moment. Well the Sainsbury ones are.
I made fishcakes yesterday - I keep them plain, with a grinding of chilli flakes, smoked salmon, potato and an egg yolk.

I bake them too.

My freezer contents have come down nicely. I've not got much left.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Maris pipers are deliciously creamy at the moment. Well the Sainsbury ones are.
I made fishcakes yesterday - I keep them plain, with a grinding of chilli flakes, smoked salmon, potato and an egg yolk.

I bake them too.

My freezer contents have come down nicely. I've not got much left.

Baked fish cakes sound lovely, Gill. When you've settled (aren't you moving today? Or have I got it wrong? Good luck!) please do post the recipe. I absolutely love smoked salmon; OH likes it but not as much as I do so it'snot something we have often. I think fish ss cakes would be gorgeous.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 pm

I just made another (cheat's) melanzane parmigiana with aubergines from the garden (not homegrown tomatoes this time, but a bottle good Italian tomato sauce) some pine nuts, capers and shelled, precooked, 'mature' runner beans (which are really quite nice).

Postby RockyBVI » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:05 pm

Haven't posted for ages and ages but have read a bit and lots of lovely food being eaten! We had salmon with veggie noodles on Monday. Today I had a rare sandwich from a cafe - called a Manwich. It was chicken, bacon and mozarella toasted - wow it was good. I normally bring a salad! Dinner is mahi 'on' a chorizo and white bean 'stew' with some brocolli on the side

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:34 am

Yesterday it absolutely tipped down, we had a power cut and then a tree blew down, bringing all the telephone cables with it. So light (for a while), but no telephone, Wifi or internet until 10 am today. Sooo, since I had time on my hands, I made Camellia Panjabi´s Malaidhar Aloo - potatoes with a creamy yoghurt, cream and cheese .
Today I had a lot more things to do so I made a pizza with some frozen dough I found in the fridge!

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks so much for Madhur's recipe for falafels Scullion! I have all the ingredients, so will make those probably tomorrow.

I have seen mooli in Waitrose, but because I only needed a small amount the English radishes worked well.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 pm

Those potatoes sound good!

Yesterday we had Thai chicken and veggie curry. I shared a brisket takeaway from the BBQ van with a colleague for lunch - delicious. Not sure what dinner will be. We were meant to be going away this weekend but we have Tropical Storm Laura bearing down on us so hadn't planned anything. I'll see what the freezer holds.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:13 am

I had Thai tonight
I made a pineapple, coconut milk and prawn curry
Was good, but needed a little more oomph
As the prawns go in last, I took half the base out for tomorrow first, and tomorrow will add fish and some other flavours

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:59 am

For simplicity's sake, I've been using standard chillies for my Thai dishes for a long time. I made some Chicken/Coconut/Galangal soup the other day, and treated myself to some proper Bird's Eye chillies, and had forgotten how hot they are. As someone who has always prided himself on his tolerance to chillies, I'm ashamed to say my insides did not appreciate them. :-(

Well at least I've had a good innings. My old schoolmate who used to love the hottest curries and would have a phall when I'd have a korma became intolerant to them maybe 20 years ago!

I made a second plateful the following day, after my guts had recovered, and did not have a problem so maybe it was a temporary flare up because I'd not had really hot chillies for a while.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Tonight will be Rick Stein's hake with chorizo, with a few green beans on the side.

Postby herbidacious » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:26 pm

I made a rather wintery potato bake/gratin last night. I'd had the potatoes since the beginning of lockdown and they were fine/very good. Not hint of a sprouting and a lovely waxy texture. They were lurking in a paper bag in the cupboard. I have had many many bags of potatoes since getting these which have all sprouted before I have finished them. (I don't eat a lot of potato.) Some were kept in their plastic bags (ripped open.) Some in a black cloth bag.
Is it the paper or the potatoes that kept them so pristine?

Anyway the bake/gratin involved marscapone, creme fraiche, extra mature cheddar, sweetcorn, garlic seasoning, butter, lots of black pepper and, um, some faux bacon. I seem to be gravitating towards extra fattening food since I decied that D(iet) Day has to come very soon, now. (Monday.... :? )

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:28 pm

To follow that Tom Kha Gai a couple of days ago, continuing the Thai theme with a fab plate of David Thompson's Pad Thai today, and ingredients to hand for his version of Tom Yum tomorrow.

Both the tom yum and pad thai are 99% his recipes. Today's pad Thai I subbed preserved turnip for preserved radish, which I find a better texture (and is also my hero Vatch's preference), and added a handful of "fresh" prawns (as well as the dried prawns).

Tomorrow's Tom Yam will have light chicken stock instead of prawn shell stock.

Annoys me profusely that Thompson has invented his own words for them, you have to search under "d" to find tom yam.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Annoys me profusely that Thompson has invented his own words for them, you have to search under "d" to find tom yam.

I have a meze book so terrified of foreign words it lists a recipe as “Spicy Turkish Chickpea Dip”
Or as we call it in in English, hummus. The index is therefore useless

Decided not to have the fish curry tonight, saved the base for tomorrow so made a vaguely Chinese meal of a pork and bok choy dish and some noodles with bean sprouts, as the sprouts were ready The problem with growing your own is that you have to start prep for dinner at least 5 days in advance

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox