Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 pm

Following recent discussions I made Kering Tempeh for the first time. Very nice, will add it to the repertoire!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:50 pm

The pizza and sushi look wonderful!!

We had a fab picnic along the river yesterday with friends. We took leftover roast pork, stuffing and apple sauce sandwiches, on super thick door step bread. Ooof. Crisps, fruit, salad, cakes, beers, fizz. Lots of wasps trying to join in too :roll:

Lunch today was a green salad with some olives and roast peppers from a jar.

Dinner was tagliatelle with pancetta, chestnut mushrooms, savoy cabbage and parmesan cream sauce.

Think we’re having jambalaya tomorrow night.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:41 pm

ZeroCook wrote:
Love sweet and sour with peppers & pineapple Stokey - how do you do yours?

Basic make it up as I went along. Cubed the lean of a pork loin steak, marinaded in Shaoxing wine, soy and a bit of juice from the fresh pineapple
Stir fried the white of a spring onion added the meat then green pepper, then pineapple, stirred in a sauce of the marinade with extra Shaoxing, soy, potato starch, sugar, vinegar and water. Added the spring onion greens and ate with jasmine rice

My teeth are still painful (dentist tomorrow) so made a vat of minestrone at lunch time, also used up excess veg. Was going to have chilli tonight, but didn’t fancy meat so had a guacamole sandwich, followed by a gorgeous fig and abit of soft goat’s cheese

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:26 am

Vats are good, as are guacamole sandwiches, Stokey. Made a vat of lasagna a while back and froze a load. Hope you feel better soon.

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:33 am

What a fab pizza Sakkarin!

I'm still enjoying the leftovers from the Korean dish with the gochujang spices! It will be all finished today. :(

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:01 am

I've just discovered that it is easily available online, so will order some. Some good ideas here:

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/colle ... ng-recipes

Postby herbidacious » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Cheese and veg oven baked frittata, using up mushrooms that were getting a bit dry, and freshly picked yellow courgettes and patty pan squash, and orange pepper. (Plus onion, garlic and thyme.) Honey mustard on the side.

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:24 pm

In badly need of some healthy food so dinner was a mish mash of dry slaw , tomatoes from our daycare centre , guacamole , eggs and some greenery with a bag of salted popcorn after .

Frittatas are really good for cleaning out the odds and sods of the fridge out aren’t they . One of those things which is always greater than the sum of its parts

Postby Renee » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:04 pm

What a nice and healthy meal Amy! That's what I shall be doing tomorrow!

Postby herbidacious » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Just a bought quiche for dinner - but a nice one - lemon, ricotta and pea - but served with freshly pulled carrots. I shall definitely be repeating the carrot experiment next year. (Experiment primarily being just growing them full stop. But I grew them in a raised trug/cradle affair which may have helped against carrot fly, but only small capacity.)

Postby Uschi » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:15 pm

I slaughtered and steamed two Hokkaido pumpkins and made them into soup with the help of some lardons and onions, cream, spices and pumpkinseed oil.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:46 am

Gorgeous sounding food.

We are back on full lockdown sadly - went from no cases to 52 and for a population of 25,000 that's quite a jump...

So no excuse not to post here :D

Monday was a salmon and veg pie - made the base as if a fish pie bunged veg in and thinly sliced potatoes on the top - served with broccoli. Tuesday was aubergine and lentil chilli from BBCGoodFood - I love it. Wednesday was veggie noodles made with tom yam. Last night we had hot Italian sausage stew. Not sure on this evening - we have quite a big bit if sushi grade tuna which I quite fancy - maybe as tartare with some other bits

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:53 am

Lovely to 'see' you Rocky! What a pain to be on lock down again. It's starting to feel distinctly autumnal here, fish pie sounds like just the sort of comfort food required!

I made a sauce with a nod to bolognese from turkey mince I had in the freezer yesterday. We had it with spaghetti (GD's choice). It wasn't bad but I don't really care for the way that turkey mince clumps together when cooking.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Earthmaiden, would turkey mince be better made (and pan-browned <-new word lol) as seasoned mini meat balls? They look good when Jamie Oliver does that.

RockyBVI , that virus statistic sounds very worrying - stay safe. We have noticed that more people are recovering now than being hospitalised, but that's little comfort to the relatives of the many who didn't recover. Let us know what you did with the sushi-grade tuna please - battered and deep fried? :)

Veg curries tonight, and probably some left to make into soup.

Uschi's pumpkin soup sounds good. Do you ever make a sweet American pie with it? I ask the local greengrocer to slaughter things like pumpkin with his huge knife.

Postby smitch » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm

Breakfast was a Friday treat of a peanut butter and jam toastie cooked in the frying pan.

We just had a vegan ‘quiche’ for dinner made with gram flour with peppers, onion and facon ‘lardons’. It worked out well, will definitely make it again.

No idea about tea. We have loads of suitable veg in the fridge so maybe a stir fry of some kind.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:07 pm

How odd - I had peanut butter on toast with home-made strawberry jam!
Lunch hasn´t arrived yet, because it´s only 11am here. Still, I´ve got some roasted leek and pepper quiche in the fridge so I´d better use it up.
Rocky - we´ve been on (virtually) full lockdown since March. The day before yesterday, a guy down the road died; just over 50 years old. Nasty virus this.
Sushi grade tuna? It´s a shame to cook it, unless you want to make lollipops. Lightly salt a "cylinder" of the tuna, then roll it in plenty of black pepper - or black sesame seeds. Sear it in a very hot pan, just like 15 seconds at a time, until all the tuna is sealed. Ready to serve with wasabi or mustard sauce.
Another thing that´s fun is to make "tiraditos" - thin strips of fish, which you can then cover with red onion and passion fruit juice. Sort of a ceviche, but thinner!

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:12 pm

That toastie sounds good Smitch! :yum

I find both turkey and chicken mince quite hard to get right when cooking with them. I have made meatballish things before but they tend to be quite dry. I think people sometimes put something like a square of cheese in the middle which might help but I don't really want to cook things that need help. I can never resist a rtc bargain though!

Postby Amyw » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:20 pm

I’m not really keen on poultry mince . The texture feels wrong to me and just doesn’t taste right .

Dinner tonight was cherry tomatoes going that little bit too squishy with shallots , garlic and chilli with prawns in at the end and spaghetti

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:17 pm

Spaghetti looks good Amy. Hope the numbers come down soon Rocky!

We very rarely cook with poultry mince. I do like pork mince with prawns in san choy bow though. I got some in the meat box this week actually and I was thinking of doing something with it to fill some bao buns with some kind of sticky sauce/marinade.

We ate out with my parents tonight. We couldn’t get a table in the restaurant we wanted so we ended up in the pub across the road. It’s very nice to be fair to it but I didn’t fancy pub/British food. Anyway, I had a nice rib eye with peppercorn sauce with sautéed potatoes and green beans. I shared a chocolate delice type thing with eldest DD.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Yes - worrying stats. Even more so because the latest batch of testing tested 15 people, all of whom were positive.

It was a pretty big piece of tuna so a did it three ways. A couple of slices of sashimi, tartare and ceviche. Too good to cook. It was absolutely delicious. Had it with a made up Asian style (flavour wise) salad.

OH had a bit of a milestone career wise yesterday so we are having a nice dinner tonight to celebrate. He has asked for rib eye steaks. We are having them with caponata that an Italian friend made for us and onion rings. We have a nice bottle of Malbec too :wino

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox