Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 08, 2020 4:02 pm

Renee
I absolutely love gnocchi.

Thank you, Amy. We're staying in, nice and quiet.
Tony's got a bad bout of insomnia, so he's not pulling me reluctantly out for an over-long walk.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri May 08, 2020 4:55 pm

I’ll look out for those M&S Kiev’s.

Breakfast was bubble and squeak with smoked ham.

We’re about to have a social distancing tea party with the other 3 houses on our lane. DD has made cupcakes and I’ve made a tomato, basil and mozzarella tart with a side salad. Plus strawberries and cream and a bottle of fizz.

We’ve also got a zoom party with family later this evening so we’re making some crab crostini with a pot of fresh white crab I bought. I’ll probably mix it with some mayo, lemon zest, chilli and parsley.

Postby Renee » Fri May 08, 2020 5:54 pm

I made Beef Rendang using the excellent Mak Tok Rendang Chilli Paste and also their Pineapple Relish to accompany it. It was soo good!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Now we're talking, Ŕéńéé!

Most of my small batch of KK's Pineapple Chutney has now gone.

Postby RockyBVI » Fri May 08, 2020 10:05 pm

Those Kievs sound nice.

We were given some amazing smelling rosemary yesterday so I made a chicken rosemary dish from GoodFood that had capers and things in it. It was lovely. OH had it with rice and I had it with roasted cauliflower (after going without fresh veg I’m keen for as much as possible). We also had broccoli.

We had local leaves today with roasted beetroot and goats cheese for lunch. We don’t often have steak but OH was keen so we are sharing a NY Strip and having it with roasted veg. And possibly a nice glass of red....

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Tonight will be a lovely piece of hake, simply fried with sauté potatoes and salad.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:56 pm

OH is making one of our favourites, pasta with broccoli and anchovies.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 09, 2020 10:37 pm

The rendang looks amazing.

We started with Staffordshire oatcakes with roast vine tomatoes and poached eggs. We had an Indian inspired bbq of marinated lamb chops, tandoori prawn kebabs, bombay potatoes, flatbread and some salad bits and pieces. Easter egg afterwards.

Hake sounds good Wordsworth, I think we have some coming later in the week.

Postby Renee » Sat May 09, 2020 10:40 pm

I was just going to say that the hake sounded good.

What a wonderful meal you had OMCO!

I just had leftovers from yesterday. The rendang was really good and even better today.

This is where I get the chilli pastes from.

https://www.maktok.com/

Postby RockyBVI » Sun May 10, 2020 4:09 pm

What a gorgeous sounding barbecue OMCO.

Yesterday we had chicken Caesar salad for lunch and OH made a blinding beef in beer in the slow cooker which we had with broccoli.

I’ll have salad of some sort for lunch. Dinner is salmon - probably with veggie noodles.

First though - beaches are open for the first time in seven weeks! Off for a wee dip. They are only open for a couple of hours but hugely exciting!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 10, 2020 4:19 pm

RockyBVI wrote:What a gorgeous sounding barbecue OMCO.

Yesterday we had chicken Caesar salad for lunch and OH made a blinding beef in beer in the slow cooker which we had with broccoli.

I’ll have salad of some sort for lunch. Dinner is salmon - probably with veggie noodles.

First though - beaches are open for the first time in seven weeks! Off for a wee dip. They are only open for a couple of hours but hugely exciting!

Where are you RockyBVI?

Postby RockyBVI » Mon May 11, 2020 11:54 am

Hi KeenCook2. We are in the British Virgin Islands - have lived here for ten years.

The beach was bliss!

We didn’t have the salmon so that will be tonight. I had some leftover beef with a big pile of mash.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:28 pm

RockyBVI wrote:Hi KeenCook2. We are in the British Virgin Islands - have lived here for ten years.

The beach was bliss!

Ah, now I understand the BVI in your name. Were you Rocky on the old BBC board?

We had this last night, with a few changes as we didn't have the exact ingredients https://www.easypeasyfoodie.com/kale-re ... buckwheat/

It was really, really good and will definitely make it again. I also managed to use up a can of coconut milk that had a BBE of Feb 2011 ( :oops: ) with no ill effects on any of us!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 pm

We made little crab pastry tarts for lunch yesterday with lemon mayo and rocket.

Dinner was a Thai take away.

Lunch today was asparagus omelette (with spring onions and parmesan). Really simple but lovely.

Dinner is going to be stir fried pork with basil, soy, chilli, ginger and lemongrass with veg and noodles. Finished with lime and coriander.

Postby liketocook » Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 am

I made baked falafels yesterday following the Nadiya Hussain recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bake ... afel_36959 . Really easy to make and they were brilliant. I halved the recipe and it made 10 decent sized falafels. Would definitely recommend trying them.

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Do you know I saw you mention this in another thread and was going to ask for the recipe as I don’t like chickpeas (don’t mind the flour) and thought they sounded quite intriguing .

Dinner yesterday was M&S fake chicken Kiev again , homemade sweet potato chips and as you can see a huge stack of spring greens and peas !!

Postby liketocook » Tue May 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Amyw wrote:Do you know I saw you mention this in another thread and was going to ask for the recipe as I don’t like chickpeas (don’t mind the flour) and thought they sounded quite intriguing .

Dinner yesterday was M&S fake chicken Kiev again , homemade sweet potato chips and as you can see a huge stack of spring greens and peas !!

My son doesn't like chickpeas either though like you doesn't mind the flour, he loved them :D

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Last night was a glorious kedgeree.
Haven't had one for ages.

Postby Renee » Tue May 12, 2020 8:40 pm

IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG (114.28 KiB) Viewed 6052 times

Tonight I had Bánh mì Chay, which is a Vietnamese sandwich, made using marinated and fried tofu. pickled radishes and carrots, a sauce made from mayonnaise and Mak Tok chilli paste and salad leaves.

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm

I just made a spiced red lentil recipe from Ottolenghi's Plenty. Lots of ingredients but not remotely difficult to make. The butter at the end 'made' it, imo. Had to sub a few things and dind't bother with the cucumber yoghurt as knew husband wouldn't want any.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox