Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Renee » Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 pm

Lovely food everyone! I really enjoy hearing about what you are all eating.

I had some leftover cooked chicken thighs to use up last night, so marinated them in Mak Tok Satay Chilli Paste and then cooked on the top shelf of my halogen oven. I served with jasmine rice, Waitrose frozen spinach ... unfrozen and cooked, of course and tomatoes. It worked really well.

P1010957.JPG
P1010957.JPG (163.66 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

Postby Amyw » Mon May 25, 2020 5:17 pm

That looks lovely Renee , what a pretty plate

Postby Renee » Mon May 25, 2020 7:18 pm

Thank you Amy. It is one that I bought from Sainsbury, but when I went back some time later to buy another one, they had changed all the designs. In the past, I always went for plain white plates, but the coloured one works well with some foods and also salads.

Postby Renee » Tue May 26, 2020 8:43 pm

I cut some raw salmon into cubes and marinated it in the wonderful Kikkoman Poke Sauce. I served it with udon (buckwheat) noodles, tomatoes and shredded lettuce.

P1010961.JPG
P1010961.JPG (211.97 KiB) Viewed 5843 times

Postby Amyw » Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Never come across poke sauce before bottled , will have to have a look. Bought some lovely shell on prawns today , forgotten how much better they taste . Made a Marie Rose sauce and served with salad . Seem to be having a prawn salad least once a week at the minute . Perfect hot weather food

Postby Renee » Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 pm

Yes, shell on prawns taste so much better.

Here is the Kikkoman Poke Sauce. I love it!

https://www.kikkoman.co.uk/inspiration/ ... ke-sauce!/

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 26, 2020 10:55 pm

Not really cooking, but I made some very bright green pesto using the tops of my grown-from-seed basil plants, which needed pinching out. I used a little smoked oil but this was rather overpowered by the other flavours. I haven't made any for a very long time, and used my Braun stick mixer, which I probably haven't used for years. This gives me some satisfaction :)

IMG_1745.jpeg

Possibly over-chopped, on the verge of puree, but tastes nice.

Postby Renee » Tue May 26, 2020 11:45 pm

It looks wonderful Herbi! Did you use any parmesan?

Postby herbidacious » Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 pm

Yes. Basil, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and a little smoked rapeseed, sea salt. Why don't I make it more often?! I suppose because I buy a basil plant and don't want to use it all at once. I currently have about 15 of them on my bedroom windowsil :) I gave some away too. It germinated really well. I am wondering what to do with them - they need potting on, really, I think (currently in just 3 and 4 inch pots.) One or several big pots with a few plants to the pot?
I'd like to grow some different types too.

Postby Renee » Wed May 27, 2020 12:30 am

The smoked rapeseed flavour wouldn't be noticeable because of the strong flavour of the basil. I bought three bottles of the smoked rapeseed.

I do envy you all those basil plants! I potted up the basil that I bought from the supermarket and it did well, but I haven't bothered since then.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 am

You've gone very oriental, Renee!

And Herb, that's got to be the greenest pesto ever...

Pork shoulder just £2.70 a kilo in my cycle to the distant Morrisons, so I made a huge saucepan of Fuchsia D's Red Braised Pork, but feeling really guilt now as it'll last for days, but has enough sugar and fat in it to die for. I mean from. But it tastes so good. Kimchi still rotting away merrily, smelling good.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 am

I got some pork shoulder from Morrison’s which I slow roasted on Monday after rubbing with five spice and garlic and putting on a bed of sliced onions

I had it hot on Monday with veg and gravy made from the onions and the drippings the. yesterday I felt a bit meh so I just had some cold meat, pickles and half a big jacket spud. I ate rather a lot of meat and realised how little I usually eat now, I found it hard to digest. Smaller portion tonight

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 27, 2020 3:06 pm

I can't think what we had on Sunday but we didn't fancy making the pork curry (I had made the spice paste in the morning but then we realised that the curry itself would take 90 mins). We had the curry on Monday and it was sooooo good (if I do say so myself!). Last night we had mozarella revioli. An Italian friend had made us some caponata so we spooned a bit of that over. It was delicious.

Tonight we are going to support a local restaurant and get a veggie pad thai takeaway. Will probably have that with a piece of mahi mahi each

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm

By the way - I now want to buy some pork shoulder inspired by Sue and Sakkarin's posts.....

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 pm

Herbi - we were well synchronised yesterday. I also trimmed the basil plants ( they were taking over the garden!), saved the seeds and made some pesto!
Mine was a little bit different from yours, for a couple of reasons. I got a sort of dirty olive green pesto, because the basil is a purple variety :shock: When I dug out the pine nuts, I found I hadn´t got enough, so I used blanched almonds instead. "Pesto con le mandorle". I also used olive oil - smoked rapeseed would be wonderful, but no way could I find it over here!

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 pm

As if to compound the misery we´re already facing (lockdown, no petrol, no water and no cable TV), another minor tragedy yesterday.
The fridge broke down. :crying1 :crying1
Since the technician couldn´t get here, we did a "remote" analysis; apparently, the thermostat is not working, which means the freezer ices up , and the fridge doesn´t cool. Damnation.
Soooooo, I had to check what was in the freezer and try to rescue what I could. The pumpkin was converted into soup. The two bags of mirepoix I´d so lovingly prepared will now be the base for even more soup; carrot & tomato with fennel seeds. The frozen tamarind paste will now have to be made into chutney asap. 80 mini-samosas I´d made were , unfortunately, condemned to the rubbish bin because as they defroze, they all fused together. The buttermilk hot sauce I´d been nurturing for the past 4 months was quickly bottled and will be despatched to a neighbour´s fridge today, along with 500 gms ricotta and a whole new jar of anchovies. The peppers in the fridge will be converted into peperonata.
Still no sign of the other technician, who apparently lives close enough to pay me a visit.

Postby jeral » Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 pm

G. Bennet, karadekoolaid. Nuff said.

Postby Renee » Wed May 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Oh no KK! What a terrible disaster. Still you did the best that you could.

Salmon fillet with Poke Sauce again. I cooked the second fillet yesterday. Just need to cook more soba noodles, cool, shred lettuce and halve tomatoes.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 pm

G. Bennet, karadekoolaid. Nuff said.

That´s about what I said, Jeral - but with a few **??#¡!!!! :twisted: :twisted: in the middle.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Goodness KK :(. Have you found somewhere for the soup to live or are you just hoping that the guy turns up soon? You did well.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox