Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:26 pm

Dennis, what a lovely salad! What is in it?

When I was in Waitrose on Tuesday, I picked up a pack of 4 chicken thighs stuffed with pork sausagemeat, caramelised onions and apple. I had them with sliced sautéed potatoes and spinach. A quick and easy meal.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 01, 2020 5:32 pm

Tonight will be the second half of the lasagne with salad and maybe some garlic bread.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Absolutely gorgeous coq au vin tonight made with chicken legs/wings and a really excellent chicken stock/consomme I made earlier, as clear as clear could be, and a Lidl £4.26 wine bought for cooking but which I couldn't resist pinching a glass to drink, and was quite palatable. Served with buttery mash/carrots/green beans.

Plus a round of excellent Hot Cross Buns yesterday, all gone now.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 02, 2020 2:23 am

Any wine left, Sakks?

I´d die for a glass of red right now!!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 02, 2020 11:57 am

Last night was chicken soup & dumplings, the stock made from a roast chook dinner earlier in the week, tomorrow will probably be the chilli I made yesterday, & tonight will be the char sui pork we should have had a couple of days ago & which has been marinating in the fridge ever since :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 02, 2020 12:17 pm

I had a chunk of roast leg of lamb, which I just served with pickles, Italian cauliflower, a few sprout and some mash

I cooked all 4 remaining potatoes in the bag, thinking I could put a couple of portions aside for later or make some potato pancakes. But I seem to have more than a litre of leftover mash. Need to think of something to do with it.

Postby halfateabag » Sat May 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Sue Kluski Polski with the mash.......they are a bit like gnocchi - you can flavour them. I like caraway.

Need to use up half a butternut squash so embarking on one of our faves BNS, chestnut and sage risotto. The sage in the garden is very verdant. Steak sarni for lunch as no meat tonight....

Postby WWordsworth » Sat May 02, 2020 5:15 pm

Takeaway curry tonight from the excellent local Indian restaurant.
First takeaway this year.

Postby herbidacious » Sat May 02, 2020 7:47 pm

I am cooking a strange and potential fail for dinner. I thought I had bought some seasoning to make oven baked halloumi fries (I fancied trashy) but it turns out to be one of those seasn and roast in a plastic bag affairs. I have seen them in France but not bought/used one. I am not sure if it's going to work, because it required peppers and onions as well as halloumi. I have subbed sweet potato slices for peppers, which may not create the possibly prerequisite moisture?

I am also roasting sweet potato slices in smoked oil on the side anyway, so if all else fails...

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:23 pm

White beans au vin tonight .... coq au vin with cannelini beans instead of chicken :lol:

Postby smitch » Sat May 02, 2020 8:30 pm

We were supposed to be in Trieste today at the start of our Balkan adventure :cry:

Instead, we’re at home and about to have an antipasti feast since we’re not wandering around an Italian city. I’ve dug a red wine barrel aged beer from the stash to go alongside it.

Breakfast was an oven bottom muffin filled with omelette, cauliflower hash browns, veggie sausages and black pudding :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 02, 2020 10:04 pm

I used my leftover mash to make some potato pancakes for brunch, eaten with a fried egg, and then used some nice speckled lentils to make the base for 3 veg shepherd’s pies, one of which I’ve just eaten with some roast courgettes

I have now got a spare portion of lentils and some extra courgettes - I baked bread in the oven before cooking my supper and have rhubarb cooking in the residual heat so I feel quite the domestic goddess :oops:

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 02, 2020 10:55 pm

Sounds great Sue!

Last night we had antipasti with salad and a shop bought apple and blackberry lattice tart with double cream.

Delicious brunch today of baked eggs in a large side plate sized ramekin per person with sautéed pancetta, peppers, tomatoes, spring greens, green chillies, smoked cheddar and potato croquettes. With a slice of sourdough toast alongside to mop up the last bits. Filled us up until dinner.

Inspired by the what would you teach thread...my daughter was responsible for dinner. She chose a summery fish pie of prawns, salmon and haddock topped with scrunched filo pastry and a side of mixed green veg. She did 75% of the cooking and was very pleased with herself :lol: It was lovely and light and rather delicious. Fortnum and Mason salted caramel biscuit for dessert.

Postby RockyBVI » Sat May 02, 2020 11:08 pm

Hi all. Lovely sounding food. How is Lilia old enough to be cooking OMCO?! We have been on total lockdown for three weeks - not allowed to leave the house for any reason even exercise and groceries. Do eating recently hasn’t been worth mentioning!

Finally allowed to shop today and I’m so excited! We are having rib eye steak with onion rings, broccoli and a mushroom sauce. I’m tempted just to eat the broccoli :D

Postby Amyw » Sat May 02, 2020 11:11 pm

Nice to see you here rocky

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 02, 2020 11:18 pm

Great to hear from you Rocky! Total lockdown, yikes, I bet you’re glad to get out. I bet you’ve been desperate to get out for a run.

Ha! She did everything except skinning the fish and taking things in and out of the oven. So all measuring, stirring, seasoning, compiling etc. I made her have a go at writing the ingredients list so that was some home schooling out of the way too :D

Enjoy your lovely dinner!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 03, 2020 2:41 am

I’ve dug a red wine barrel aged beer from the stash to go alongside it.

OK, Smitch - what does beer aged in red wine barrels taste like? My ultra-conservative CAMRA genes tell me :shock: :shock: but I might be wrong!!

Postby smitch » Sun May 03, 2020 9:52 am

Really good. We opted for a wine barrel aged porter in the end. There was richness from the wine barrel alongside the robust porter flavours.

We love barrel aged beers. Generally bourbon barrels are used but an Estonian brewery has a whole range including PX Sherry and various brandy casks https://pohjalabeer.com/cellar-series

We’ve also had some good sour beers aged in wine barrels too. One of our local breweries has an extensive barrel ageing programme and they do special releases at Christmas. This was last year’s set https://cloudwaterbrew.co/blog/2019/11/26/christmas-2019-barrel-programme

Plenty of cask porters and stouts are barrel aged too. A place local to my parents releases variations of their award winning porter.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun May 03, 2020 10:11 pm

I think my OH would love those beers smitch.

Daughter is on a roll cooking wise. She helped make lemon, blueberry and ricotta pancakes this morning, dusted with icing sugar and served with strawberries.

She used up the last of the filo to make some filo triangles for lunch. I gave her free rein on the filling and she chose diced cooked potato, peas, cheese, grated carrot and ham.

She was far too busy with barbies later so we cooked dinner... roast chicken with stuffing, potatoes, carrots and buttered leeks and peas. Dessert was Easter egg and some fruit.

Postby jeral » Mon May 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Yesterday, I made cod bites with a flour/milk/bicarb/malt vinegar batter. Very nice, I always like those.

As I whacked two loins into the freezer not separated Doh, I have the other defrosted one for today... Decided on tandoori cod, per this recipe being yoghurt and typical spices:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/tandoori-style-cod-334389
Anyone done this before? The grilling time seems unbelievably long.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox