Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:47 pm

jeral wrote:
scullion wrote:... as there's a whole jar of the [teryaki] sauce in the fridge now -
- 'and a small aubergine'.

Doesn't have to be aubergine ;)

it was a joke - quoting an oft used line from 'goodness gracious me' (rather than a lack of imagination).

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:48 pm

I have just 'knocked up' Scully's recipe for Red Onion Marmalade - not all red onions, so topped up with a large white one ;) I wasn't expecting it to cook down so much - just enough to fill a 450g jam jar, but it tastes delicious. I used my Borner (lethal) slicer, but next time I may just use the small chop with the Alligator ;) My Instant Pot was just right for the job too :thumbsup :yum

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 pm

scullion: Ah, I didn't see more than the odd episode of GGM hence it went over my head. That said, I was wondering what vegetable uses the sauce could be used for except as a stir fry sauce so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Postby scullion » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:41 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I have just 'knocked up' Scully's recipe for Red Onion Marmalade

if you liked that one, try this one, which has an added dimension i rather like.

ONION MARMALADE

1.25kg onions, sliced into thin rings
3 tbsp salt
1kg preserving or granulated sugar
500ml vinegar
1½ tsp cloves tied in a piece of muslin
2 tsp caraway seeds

Sprinkle the onions with the salt. Mix well and leave to stand for 1 hour. Rinse and dry.
Put the sugar, vinegar and muslin bag in the preserving pan.
Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the onions and caraway seeds.
Return to the boil, skim, reduce the heat to minimum and cook for 2 - 2½ hours, or until the syrup is thick and the onion is translucent and golden brown.
Remove the pan from the heat and leave the onion to settle for a few minutes. Ladle the mixture into the sterilized jars, then seal.
The marmalade is ready to eat immediately, but improves with keeping.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Ooh, yes :thumbsup I love caraway, especially caraway seed cake my nan used to make. I love it in cabbage too :yum

Postby Kacey » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:15 pm

Had one of my very few poor meals last night after trying a new recipe. Very disappointing as Sunday is the night i have a bit of extra time in the kitchen. As a treat and in need of comfort food, having pasta with new potatoes and green beans and a massive dollop of homemade pesto.

Postby smitch » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm

We had some vegan kebab meal kits delivered yesterday. Our tea last night was sheekh style kebab sandwiches. Tonight, we'll be having doner style wraps.

Not sure about the rest of the week, I'm not feeling very inspired at the moment.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:48 pm

We had pizza, thank you Amyw for your recommendation of the Tesco fresh pizza dough :thumbsup

It was really successful. I'll post a pic if/when I work out how to on my new laptop ... :oops:

I didn't have any mozzarella so used feta and grana padano, btw.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:12 pm

jeral wrote:Sakkarin, your dishes lately all look very similar

A small selection, left to right, going down (it's a big piccy hence link)...

INDIAN Achari Chicken Tikka - 5th Jul
SICILIAN Arancini - 21st Feb
GERMAN Bratwurst & Red Cabbage - 10th Jan
THAI Veggie Green Curry - 12th Feb
MALAYSIAN Chicken Lemak - 8th Feb
JAPANESE Chicken with Soba Noodles - 7th Feb
ITALIAN Artichoke Heart, Red Pepper & Olive Pizza - 18th Jun
KOREAN Jjigae Kimchi Stew - 31st May
KOREAN Dak Galbi - 9th Jun
ENGLISH Heston's Pea & Ham Soup - 18th Jan
INDIAN Tarka Dall - 22nd Feb
ITALIAN Elizabeth David's Lasagne - 8th Mar
ITALIAN Aubergine Parmigiana - 19th Feb
MOROCCAN Chicken Tagine with Lemon & Olives - 1st Mar
POLISH Breaded Cutlet, Beetroot & Sauerkraut - 20th Jan
CHINESE Sunflower's Lemon Chicken - 17th May

http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/cooking-2020.jpg

P.S. I've made a few Korean dishes recently; most have kimchi, gochugang and/or bright red chilli in, so end up bright orangey red. And I do often serve them up in a yin-yannish manner like that Dak Galbi in the pic, so they will look similar.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 pm

Brilliant! They all look really fab! :clap :clap

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:13 am

Sakks, you are a multicultural culinary genius! :clap :clap :clap :D :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:12 am

Haaa! Well hardly a genius, but I do like mixing it up. A friend pointed out that they ARE all the same, if "round" is the criterion. But then they are also all square...

They are also all very strictly budget meals. I would undoubtedly be more adventurous if I was richer.

Yesterday I had a fab green curry, using the last tablespoonful of one of those huge tubs. I use the empty tubs for all kinds of jobs around the kitchen, so they always come in useful. I had intended doing the same today, as I bought an aubergine especially, but realised that I'll have to hunt around a bit for proper green curry paste, most on sale in supermarkets is fake veganised stuff. I have a jar of Lidl's red curry paste, but that has TOMATO in it, so I refuse to use that!!! What do you expect for 59p?

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 am

That picture of Aubergine Parmigiana looks very oriental :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 am

I would undoubtedly be more adventurous if I was richer.

I was probably more adventurous with my cooking when money was tighter, but I was also younger and single, which might be more pertinent. I'm less given to squiggly & dangly bits of animals or suspicious-looking stuff in Oriental grocers if cooking for Mrs B.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:50 am

Whoops, sorry, you are right! I swapped them at the last minute :-(

Here's the actual Aubergine Parmigiana pic...
http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/ ... igiana.jpg

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm

Delish!
Unaccustomed as I am to solitary confinement... and STILL no fridge working properly, and STILL no spare part for the car :evil: I´m having to apply a "Do not buy anything until you´ve eaten everything" rule, because there´s no room to store the stuff. So after using half an aubergine for a stew, I sliced the rest of it into rounds, fried them lightly in olive oil, filled them with leftover mozzarella, breadcrumbed them and fried them up again. A sort of fried aubergine sandwich. This was served with a tomato sauce, to which I had added 3 leftover sundried tomatoes. Made a space in the fridge, at least!

Postby herbidacious » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 pm

The tomato and courgette gratin with halloumi suggested by ltc.

That pizza looks amazing KC2.

Postby herbidacious » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:09 pm

I think something with peas from the garden tonight... although may save for tomorrow when hopefully mozzarella and ricotta can be collected, and make a salad of some sort. (I had a nice recipe for one involving burrata, but couldn't get burrata.)
I also have French beans to pick and eat. They are getting a bit bumpy. Maybe those with pasta and... butter, lemon, garlic, prmesan? Something simple. I don't like having to cook two nights runing and we ate most of the cougette gratin last night.

Postby ChinchillaLady » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 pm

Thanks to Suffs, its sausage rolls for us too, has some pastry in the freezer and some cumberland snorkers, lots of salad stuff ready in the garden, but our new pots came from Sainsbugs.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:35 pm

This is neither cooking nor baking so I don't really know where to put it, but this is what i made.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... sandwiches

It was very easy but a bit time consuming, as a frozen pudding often is.

I feared it would be too sweet but most of the topping fell off when I cut it up.

I froze the loose topping separately, to be served on the side but I forgot it when we tried a bit this afternoon. :roll:
I did't have any maple syrup and could only muster a teaspoon of golden syrup so that's what I used.
Not sure why the cashews needed to be simmered, maybe it was to make them soft enough to blend, Would probably use chopped cashews next time as the flavour didn't change much - maybe they were slightly sweeter but not a lot.

Meera Sodha says to leave it out of the freezer for 5 mins before slicing, that just about worked but I found the slices needed a good 15-20 mins to soften before eating.

Other than that, it was delicious and I will make it again.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox