Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Binky - your curry dish looks divine! Inspiring! Magnificent - and now to cook some more! :clap :clap :) :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 pm

Today was another Course Day - this time on "Spicy dishes of the World".
This time, I started off with a talk/presentation on chiles - my favourite subject :) :)
Then I cooked Chettinad chicken, Nepali Dum Aloo , Thai tom sum, Mexican quesadillas with red and green salsas, and Indonesian spicy prawns. YUM!

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:39 pm

I would eat all of that KKA !! Gorgeous flavour filled food.

Yesterday was lazy summer food . Roasted a chicken with a lemon shoved up it and spread aioli between the skin and flesh . Par boiled new potatoes were roasted alongside rage chicken. Tore the chicken into chunks and mixed that and the potatoes with tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce , spring onions and crumbled feta with mayo. Eton mess for after with ice cold rose.

Chocolate croissant for breakfast late morning with orange juice. Going to make another salad for dinner with prosciutto, mozzarella , avo and roasted tomatoes. Bought some olive ciabatta to go with

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Because it's the 14th - Bastille Day. I will be doing what most French people will be doing. Having a bbq.

Fresh local melon to start. A pave of beef which has been marinating in EVOO red wine peppercorns and herbs since last night. Rosemary roast baby potatoes and a green salad
Cheese
Strawberry Pavolva.

We're being very un French for aperos because we're having Pimms!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Our Sunday dinner. Nut loaf, jacket potatoes with sour cream, broad beans and courgette/tomato saute.

Postby Amyw » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 pm

That looks lovely and colourful Binky . I must look at trying to post photos here again.

Last night was a pork stir fry with rice, lots of honey, chilli and ginger .

Had lunch with my mum in a pub beer garden after a nasty dentist appointment , with a large vodka, lime and soda, purely medicinal :wino . Has what was wrongly labelled as mushroom bruschetta, but it was really mushrooms in a creamy blue cheese with some toasted bread. Was OK for what it was.

Dinner tonight is inspired by a thread over on Wildfood. Poached salmon with olives, tomatoes, anchovies , French beans and a vinaigrette . Oh and a hard boiled egg

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:54 pm

I've just had a nice bowl of lettuce with fried bread.

Technically it was Caesar Salad, but thinking about it, that's basically all it is at heart!

Postby Renee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 pm

What a lovely colourful meal Binky!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:45 pm

I like fried lettuce - has to be iceberg to stay crunchy!

Last night we had a gorgeous spider-crab which Himself dressed, with smoked salmon, prawns, rocket, plus dill from the garden - wonderfully simple but so good!

Tonight's offering is a Thai chicken curry.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am

Tonight I have some veal liver which I plan on cooking with orange and a serving with a pilaf. I haveto think of an original dessert using some lovely local golden plums which I was given yesterday.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:32 am

Saw this on the BBC website this morning which I thought looked nice https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/plum ... pink_50712

Otherwise I’m not a massive plum fan , but quite like them baked with a bit of booze and something like chantilly cream served alongside and a bit of crunch too , normally almonds

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 pm

I do like plum tarte tatin - haven't been to pick any plums yet this year - must put that right soon - last year I made a gorgeous pork casserole with some of them.

Last nights curry didn't materialise - a lasagne out of the freezer subbed, so tonight will be...………………...Thai chicken curry!

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Tonight will be an old favourite, Tomasina Miers' fish stew, because I picked up some hake this morning.

She suggests serving it with steamed greens but we prefer crusty bread.
It mops up the sauce better and is due out of the oven in half an hour.

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:10 pm

We love this tart.....

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/340 ... -plum-tart

I make it on a larger base though, as it makes a lot of filling.

Postby Binky » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:12 pm

no photos but last night we had a mushroom and gruyere wellington with new potatoes and salad. It was polished off PDQ so we'll be having that again.

Lunch was at a tea room in town. I ordered salmon and asparagus quiche with salad and new potatoes. Everything looked lovely, but on cutting into the quiche, there was no salmon. Lots of tender asparagus spears and a really nice 'custard' but no salmon. I did my Basil Fawlty act when poking about for the salmon (you need to have seen Fawlty Towers 'Gourmet Night' to understand this) and the manager was called by a passing waitress. Manager graciously removed the cost of the meal from our bill, even though I ate every bit of the food on the plate :yum Said they were grateful for us alerting them to this problem with their supplier.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:18 pm

That's what happens when places don't cook things in house! but at least they did the decent thing.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Do you have a link to the mushroom Wellington please, sounds lovely .

Has a leisurely lie in this morning, so brunch was scrambled egg on toast with bacon . Dinner tonight will be a prawn and avocado salad with Marie Rose sauce.

Postby Binky » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:43 pm

this is the BBC recipe

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/128 ... ellingtons

we didn't have stilton, so improvised.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Thank you I don't really like stilton so gruyere sounds good to me

Postby Amyw » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:17 pm

With all this talk of soup , I found at the back of the freezer , a little pot of leftover beef stew , which was more gravy than anything else , so had that with some horseradish mustard stirred in and crusty bread .

Dinner tonight is going to be some grilled sea bass fillets , one of my favourite fish . I’ve got loads of tomatoes to use up and some lovely green olives so will chop roughly up with some garlic oil and watercress to have with it

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox