Register

What's everyone cooking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What's everyone cooking this week?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:54 pm

Amyw wrote:That looks beautiful OMCO , what’s the method of your polish potato pancake ?

Hi Amy, you peel and grate potatoes and drop in iced water as you go, then drain and squeeze out as much liquid as poss. Then add 1 grated onion, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon flour, seasoning and any herbs you like. Fry in butter/oil for about 4 mins each side.

Last night we had a Thai take away and this morning we had almond, lemon and blueberry pancakes with berries, honey and yoghurt. Lots of fruit and a bit of toast and a few chocolates. There was tea and ginger cake at one point too.

Chicken noodle soup this evening before an early night! Happy new year all

Postby Amyw » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:13 pm

Ah thanks OMCO happy new year

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:26 pm

Yesterday was a spice-rubbed tuna steak with braised pak choi, tamari/citrus gravy, tinned baby corn and cherry toms - so not seasonal at all I'm afraid. Tiramisu with healthy drizzle of Baileys.

Cream cheese and smoked salmon and beetroot in toasted bap for lunch. Scotch sultana pancakes for tea with lemon, honey and cream. Hopefully all this rich stuff ought to add a few needed calories, if only I can keep it up. (My ghast was flabbered when after finally cleaning the cobweb and spider off my scales yesterday, I'm now clocking 6st so I'd surely better keep it up.) Some lovely food being made on here to copy cat :)

Actually I bought some frozen hake fillets thinking I'd do a Spanish New Year's Eve something but brain freeze kicked in. Any recipe ideas please? I have brown, red, shallot onions, ginger, garlic, peppers, olives, usual seasonal veg. The fillets aren't thick so won't stand up to much cooking. Ta.

Re: Veganuary

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:48 pm

We had egg & chips ;)
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:57 pm

Lunch was the last of the broccoli and Stilton soup that J made the other day.
Delicious but incredibly filling.

Tonight will be Delia's chicken Basque style.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:29 pm

jeral wrote:Yesterday was a spice-rubbed tuna steak with braised pak choi, tamari/citrus gravy, tinned baby corn and cherry toms - so not seasonal at all I'm afraid. Tiramisu with healthy drizzle of Baileys.

Cream cheese and smoked salmon and beetroot in toasted bap for lunch. Scotch sultana pancakes for tea with lemon, honey and cream. Hopefully all this rich stuff ought to add a few needed calories, if only I can keep it up. (My ghast was flabbered when after finally cleaning the cobweb and spider off my scales yesterday, I'm now clocking 6st so I'd surely better keep it up.) Some lovely food being made on here to copy cat :)

Actually I bought some frozen hake fillets thinking I'd do a Spanish New Year's Eve something but brain freeze kicked in. Any recipe ideas please? I have brown, red, shallot onions, ginger, garlic, peppers, olives, usual seasonal veg. The fillets aren't thick so won't stand up to much cooking. Ta.

Without being nosey Jeral, that's a very low weight...have you ever spoken to a nutritionist about ideas to gain weight at all

Postby Gruney2 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Tonight, I'll be making Nigel Slater's Mulled Lamb http://beebrecipes.co.uk/recipe/lamb_wi ... _and_85617 dead easy.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Ignore the very large gin . Dinner tonight was delicious . Giant couscous which I love mixed with mint radish, pomegranate seeds, spring onions, cucumber , radishes , EVOO and lots of seasoning them I baked feta with tomatoes, chillies and za’atar and added on top with some avocado .

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:27 pm

Looks great Amy

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:51 pm

What do you mean, Amy, ignore the large gin?
No way would I ignore a large gin :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Your dish looks delightful - hope you enjoyed it!

Postby Amber » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:30 am

But can you please push the plate a bit further on to the worktop. I’m worried I might knock it off ;) .

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:40 am

Really lovely.
I haven't seen Giant couscous anywhere yet.

That's an intriguing recipe Gruney. How was it?

Postby Gruney2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:04 am

Gillthepainter wrote:That's an intriguing recipe Gruney. How was it?

Pleasant, but not outstanding, Gill. The overriding flavour was that of the prunes, with no contribution from the spices - which were fresh. I imagine the prune flavour was intensified by the port. As I said, pleasant - but, for me, not a do againer.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:17 pm

Looks delish Amy.

Sunday lunch of Chestnut, kabocha and sage risotto will be cooked on the wood burner later, one of our fave rice dishes. I bought the squash about 6 weeks ago and cut it on Crimbo eve, we are still only half way through it.

I am rather embarrassed to admit to being a pasta magpie. I sorted through the cupboard and have 5.5 packs of orzo !!!!!! Countless kinds of other pasta, some quite dated. So will be making a concerted effort to reduce my stocks in the near future.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks, Gruney.
Teabag, I keep buying our regular penne, get home, and I've still got plenty on the shelves. Why am I so frightened of running out.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 pm

I have a bit of a lasagne mountain
I think there was a small element of logic in that I really wanted lasagne verde and could only find the plain white, but still I didn’t have to purchase it

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:49 pm

I think that orzo's the hardest to use up. I have just used up the out of date items I cleared from my cupboard at the start of the first lockdown. Orzo, polenta, quinoa and other such things. It took ages and some imagination! I don't dislike any of them but find them hard to use up if I have too many. Probably time to turn out the cupboard again and see what's slipped into out of date since then :roll:.

Postby WolfGirl » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:06 pm

I get through orzo quite quickly. One of our favourite recipes is a James Martin one using cod, chorizo, red peppers and orzo.
I also use it in minestrone if I don’t have any small pasta.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:12 pm

I use it in minestrone too. I like the sound of the James Martin recipe. The talk of orzo reminds me that I have a chicken orzo broth/stew recipe I've not done for ages. It's good winter tucker. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Similarly, I want to try the Giant Couscous, but still have more than a kilo of ordinary.
Which will take me some time to eat.
I'm having couscous with red peppers, avocado and hoo-mousse tonight, but it won't make much of a dent in the supply.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox